22 days living in the woods

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
after living in the woods for 22 days we have learnt so much about campcraft and what matters in life.

here are afew pictures of what the camp has been looking like in the last week or so.

00camp022.jpg

dinner taken with a fish hunter catapult

00camp023.jpg

dinner cooking with some banock

00camp024.jpg

dinner ready

00camp042.jpg

my oak burl kukska, took ages to get it finished

00camp025.jpg

the inside of the hut, with the log burner

00camp026.jpg

a freshly shot pigeon

00camp027.jpg

fish teaching some youngsters

00camp031.jpg

pigeon stew cooking

00camp035.jpg

the inside of the shelter

00camp036.jpg

chimney

00camp037.jpg

00camp033.jpg

outside of the shelter

00camp034.jpg

BOSW the pet ferret

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Sounds like you are having a great time Josh, you lucky bloke. I've also heard the positive impact you are having with some kids too, and you have my deepest respect for taking the time to listen to them and take the edge off their days by offering an ear and some experiences other than their usual day to day routine. Just remember to take time out for yourself and recharge your batteries.

How long are you planning on spending out there now?

Last edited:

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Looks like you had a brilliant time (I hope).

The only advice I can give is source your wood from further away, that way you get more tree's around the camp (always a good thing).

Keep it up.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Still going strong mate.
If you want any ferret nets I've got some old ones lying around somewhere and if you can untangle them you can have them. That'll give you another meat source.
I'll bring them along when I pay a visit.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi josh looking forword to some more pics and stories your doing well im jelous regards dave

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Talk the talk, walk the walk.
Well done that man!
Would you mind posting a simple plan of your campsite, location of shelter in relation to fireplace etc?
Presuming you constructed the basic necessities early on, on reflection have you changed the layout since you started?
What sort of mistakes would the first timer make in the layout of his camp?
Again, well done.
Happy trails...torc.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
This is fascinating stuff, thanks guys! Can we have some facts and figures please? How much are you still depending on civilization? You're obviously using pasta, what percentage of your food is brought in from the world that the rest of us live in? How are you getting water? Are you recording all that? Are you making soap yet? How much of your time is spent on real 'survival' and how much at the supermarket, how much mooching around not doing very much, and how much back in suburbia to clean up and change?

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I would also like to know what your daily routine is, and how did you bag the pigeons, did you wait for them to come in to roost or put some bait out to bring them in???

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE