20 minute bushcraft in the park?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

user24

Forager
Aug 13, 2011
Shrewsbury, UK
I like to go for a walk every morning before work. I get about 20 minutes walking around a local park. Anyone have any ideas what I might be able to do during that time to practice any bushcraft skills? It's a typical park really, a couple of trees lining the paths, one or two overgrown areas but mostly rough grass. There's a canal running through it too with some wildlife (bullrushes, geese, ducks). A few tennis courts... :)lmao:)

At the moment I'm thinking:

• Tree identification
  • Wild food ID.
  • Tracking (?!?)

Anyone have any other ideas?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Forget tracking. Seriously, it'll make you late for work! :)

Whenever I walk to work across the fields I get too easily sidetracked and am always late because I'm stopping to look at stuff.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
You can do worse than just sit and watch and drink in the surroundings a few times, then, after a while, the possibilities may just present themselves to you, as you notice what's there and what's going on.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You can do worse than just sit and watch and drink in the surroundings a few times, then, after a while, the possibilities may just present themselves to you, as you notice what's there and what's going on.

Nothing better than sitting in the park with a 3L bottle of cider :)

user24

Forager
Aug 13, 2011
Shrewsbury, UK
Lots of great suggestions, thanks everyone :D

Which park are you in?

Hello to a fellow Northamptonian! I live right in the town center so it's becket's park for me. Wanna meet up one morning (I normally go around between 8 and 8.30 ish)? I am a complete newbie though I warn you :)

Last edited:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
A good skill to practice as you are walking is making simple two-ply cordage.

If you've got any nettles near you then now is getting to be a good time to harvest them, flatten the stems then peel the fibres off and let them dry. Once you've got a bunch then you can twist them up into cord; it's a simple skill but the more you do it the better your cord will be in terms of tightness and consistency of thickness.

Don't think that I am obsessed with cordage, despite my username; it is just the first simple skill I learned to do that's all :)

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
As long as you don't both wear your goretex macs!

Especially since Beckett's Park is known for man on man action! It's a lovely park to be honest.

As yourself and others have suggested, food and tree ID with the help of Colins Gems, harvesting natural tinders and just generally taking in the views would be my goals.

PM sent User24...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
20 minutes in the park is not long enough to do more than enjoy a quarter bottle of wine and some pate and water biscuits; perhaps an apple to follow.

user24

Forager
Aug 13, 2011
Shrewsbury, UK
went swimming tonight and then headed to the park for an hour with my fiancee.

We took a tree ID book and after some debate identified a Beech tree, and then we rigged up a ridge line between two big trees (pines of some kind), which was a massive learning experience for us both. Tying the dinner table legs together (what we've been doing to practice so far!) is much easier. I think we chose trees that were too big, because getting it taut was very tricky. (also we know that big trees=big branches falling on you, but we didn't have a lot of choice in the park). I also learned what a difference the placement of the knots makes. I tied a lovely taut line, and then put some weight on it and the knots at each end moved round the trunk and made the line slack. So then I re-tied it making sure the knots are centered to the tree trunk and that helped.

So yeah. I know it's only baby steps, but I was impressed at how much I learned in just an hour. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, keep em coming! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE