Two weeks in Sweden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geebe

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2012
Dublin
Morning All,

We're cycle touring / bike packing around Sweden for two weeks next month.

Mainly following the Sverigeleden, the plan is to start in Stockholm, head south to the Gota Canal, west along the canal path to Sjotorp, north to Karlstad to pick up the Klarälvsbanan greenway as far as Rada, then east and south back to Stockholm.

Accomodation will be mostly campsites & wild camping with a couple of B&B's along the way. What are those prepared shelters / camping areas called in Swedish? Are they mapped or signposted at all?

We will be cycling roughly 1000 km. Has anyone any experience of cycling in Sweden?

The route takes us close to Hans Karlsson in Klensmide and Svante Djarv in Avesta so hope to check them out. Do they do any specials for weary travellers I wonder :) (I'm sure I could make room for a nice carving axe and a blade or two...)

What other places / makers should we visit? Any other ideas?

Hoping to do a moose (elk?) and beaver spotting trip and a bit of canoeing.

Here's hoping Sweden is as flat as they say it is :)

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Sounds like you are planning a wonderful trip :) I hope there will be a trip report!
Happy camping!

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Doyou mean "vindskydd"? The symbol is a side view of a person with backpack and bent legs sitting under a diagonal line (like a slanting lean to).

Sweden is on the whole great for cycling (Swedes cycle a lot) but I would avoid the big fast roads. Technically you should use bike lanes when provided. No cycling on motorways (green road signs)

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I've always been fortunate enough to get them to myself and everytime I wish we had them in the UK. (Even if you probably would have to share. ) Especially in soggy terrain!

Geebe

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2012
Dublin
Vindskydd - That's exactly what I was talking about. Thanks guys!

Here is a map I just found on Google: Vindskydd Google map

@Crosslandkelly, you just reminded me I have to get a mozzy net. Any recommendations?

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Get a midge net, nothing worse than seeing the little buggers climb through the holes in the mozzy net.

Geebe

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2012
Dublin
@SaraR: You're scaring me now! :)

@Janne: By the sound of what SaraR is saying, I just might do that! Where do the savvy Swedes get their stuff?

Geebe

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2012
Dublin
You might not see moose. Deer maybe. Not sure about beaver.
Mosquitoes and gnats - lots of those!

If you plan to go canoeing take a light fishing rod with you. Short term permits are cheap.

47 species of Mosquito! That's mad Ted.

Might just have room for a hand line, space is very tight on a bike :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE