2 years without a mobile phone Bliss

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Refuse to own a mobile phone but perfectly fine using tech to communicate over internet. Yeah makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

I can understand people wanting to leave phone at home (Or just turn off) while out in some woods time but some people not owning one completely for odd reasons yet perfectly fine using other tech to communicate over internet is just weird.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I was on tills at work during the weekend, and putting in contact details, I have to admit that the majority of people (certainly under 40) quoted mobile numnbers, not landlines. If you have broadband, then you generally have to rent one, but I suspect the number of people using the landline to talk to people has fallen a lot. Mobiles are cheap, almost universal, and do a great many other things. Once 4G really gets into its stride, you can see landlines being given up by a lot more people.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Given a choice I wouldn't have one, Unfortunately I have dependent with a medical condition and I was pretty much issued with one so I can attend as required. Only the school, wife and my parents have the number. If it wasn't for the necessity I would resent having one forced on me, in fact it wouldn't have happened. I hate it when I start neurotically checking it incase I've missed a call due to doing something noisy or distracting its not who i am, or was rather. Way it go's and its a very minor irritation in the scheme of things.

I've noticed a lot of my friends now have lousy memories as they don't need to use them, everything is in their smart phones. Also I've a feeling that a lot of folk, especially kids, can't make a decision without asking a group of friends first which is worrying. I have a horrible suspicion that there's going to be some very negative results from the whole social media thing.

Another irritation (my, my, when did i get so petty?) is everyones a instant expert on everything when they get a iphone. Bargains you can recognize due to hard won research and experiance can snapped up by some git whos googled it, in some cases due to research you have put up on the net.

Each to their own, just not for me.

ATB

Tom

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
pretty much the same as everyone else who's posted....i have one begrudgingly....i reckon the only reason that tips the scales for me to keep having one in my life is the fact i've got kids, and like any parent, i worry about them all the time....for that reason i suffer my phone....i feel safe knowing that angela can get hold of me if needed and vice versa....

dont agree that if youre self employed you have to have one. i hate talking on it....feel intruded upon whoever calls me....its on silent....if we're at shows and my family is with me its off...smart phone my as*....the flippin things retarded i.m.o.......stupid pokey little screen, texting drives me nuts...its got a million functions, which, if youve got the time to exploit then i.m.o. you need to get a life...every time i put it to my ear my lughole presses something....yes i've smashed phones up before....this ones nearly suffered the same but angela got me it for valentines so its got a guilt trip hold over me....in fact i'm getting wound up thinking about the stupid thing thats sitting here in front of me laughing at me and being recharged right this second....recharged again, for the 8 squillionth time this week....or else it beeps at me...nag nag nag!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! hammertime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol on the telly toddy....unless its a work of art film i aint interested....ooops....apart from game of thrones admittedly. the tripe-box.

and a big hug for frank....we need a career move for you dude!

:p

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Another irritation (my, my, when did i get so petty?) is everyones a instant expert on everything when they get a iphone..

Each to their own, just not for me.

ATB

Tom

I can't stand iPhone users who try to convince me that I need one. I reply that my fifty quid, no contract, smartphone does everything I need and to spend £400 on a phone is mad in my life. If they like them, great, but its the weird cult like behaviour of seeking "converts" I can't stand.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I can't stand iPhone users who try to convince me that I need one. I reply that my fifty quid, no contract, smartphone does everything I need and to spend £400 on a phone is mad in my life. If they like them, great, but its the weird cult like behaviour of seeking "converts" I can't stand.

iPhones are just crap period. They're locked down and very limited in functionality. They're more of a goto brand for people who are new to smartphones or for people who just want a fashion accessory/toy or do not have the capacity to use a real device. (Sorry if that offends anyone).

Android devices like Samsung and HTC flagships have more powerful hardware, a MUCH better OS and more functionality.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I don't understand the anger and downright rudeness pointed at people who own (and use) a mobile phone.

*You* don't have to have one. I enjoy having a small device that gives me navigation, weather updates, news, books, films, a camera, music, etc.
Way back when I was young and travelling around I always had one or two books with me to read. Now I can carry loads with me in something pocket-sized. Someone is now going to say "but you have to keep charging it all the time". Well, the books I carried required a light to read by, so I don't quite see the difference there.

One thing I much prefer doing on paper is looking at maps. Google maps are very clever and all but don't have half the information contained on an OS map. Plus if you are travelling any distance it is much easier to plan routes on a big paper map.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I don't understand the anger and downright rudeness pointed at people who own (and use) a mobile phone.

*You* don't have to have one. I enjoy having a small device that gives me navigation, weather updates, news, books, films, a camera, music, etc.
Way back when I was young and travelling around I always had one or two books with me to read. Now I can carry loads with me in something pocket-sized. Someone is now going to say "but you have to keep charging it all the time". Well, the books I carried required a light to read by, so I don't quite see the difference there.

One thing I much prefer doing on paper is looking at maps. Google maps are very clever and all but don't have half the information contained on an OS map. Plus if you are travelling any distance it is much easier to plan routes on a big paper map.

There isn't only Google maps. You can get any OS you like on your mobile device as well.

One quick example is Viewranger. You can choose from many maps, like OS maps. You can create/save/share routes with other users as well. You can also plan them on device or at home on PC etc. Doing this will obviously also give you GPS navigation via the map.

With regards to charging, you have no need to charge if you take spare batteries (if your device supports chnaging battery) or you can take a USB power bank to charge while out and about. Also save power by disabling services/apps etc.

..and there is always paper/compass as backup ;)

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
With regards to charging, you have no need to charge if you take spare batteries (if your device supports chnaging battery) or you can take a USB power bank to charge while out and about. Also save power by disabling services/apps etc.

..and there is always paper/compass as backup ;)
Exactly.
I've been to a music festival, used phone when needed and not charged it for 4 days. With the external battery my wife has, reckon I could do a couple of weeks of reading every night, occasional texts, a bit of checking maps etc.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I'm with mrcharly re. maps. Regardless of how comprehensive the content may be, peering at a 5", or even a 7" display doesn't come close to casting your gaze over a quartered 25 thou sheet spread before you.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I'm waiting till they get the electronic paper thing truly sorted then everyone'll have an A0 sized tablet rolled up in their pockets....

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Cheers Sonni! Yes I think a change in my pace of life is overdue. Like to spend a bit more time a bit less stressed with the family..

Have to say I'm on my 3rd model of iphone. Still on the 5. Find it a very convenient package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have an I Phone 4 and which I have replaced the battery, docking port and speakers myself. It's been the best phone I have had to date and will only replace it if gets broken or the operating system no longer works on it. Haven't paid over a tenner per month since the 18 month contract ran out years ago!

I dislike and like my phone in equal measure. When I need the internet or making a needed call it's great. I however get bombarded by call centres from years of stupidly putting my correct phone number into online forms! I now always miss type a number...oops!

I can be difficult to get hold of as I vet all calls and answer only those stored in the contacts list. Even then I often respond with a text.

I agree they are a necessity if running a business but other than that a convenience.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Refuse to own a mobile phone but perfectly fine using tech to communicate over internet. Yeah makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

I can understand people wanting to leave phone at home (Or just turn off) while out in some woods time but some people not owning one completely for odd reasons yet perfectly fine using other tech to communicate over internet is just weird.

Yeah, tis a strange one that

Me?....i'v had smart phones since they werent very smart at all. I absolutly love my phone and tablet (android)

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Yeah, tis a strange one that

Me?....i'v had smart phones since they werent very smart at all. I absolutly love my phone and tablet (android)

Indeed. I have been using Smartphones since around 2003 with "Windows Mobile". Never liked iOS, nice UI but the OS itself was always extremely limited in functionality. Even Windows Mobile OS from 2003-2005 could do faaaaaaar more than iOS from 2007 lol. When Android came along though it was like a breath of fresh air, it had the UI of iOS but functionality of Windows Mobile :)

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
Unfortunately my mobile phone is on 24/7 and will be until I retire. My work requires constant communication with clients. there is no way I could work without one.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London

it's not a phone.

It's an ipod, a "DVD player", a camera, a video camera, a contacts book, a library, an authoring tool (you can write books, notes thoughts, rants and articles on the notepad feature on the train) and if you are stuck....

turn off airplane mode and you have an emergency phone.

Iphone V not iphone - depends on what brand you want your music player to be at the moment I am hooked into apple via itunes. Though I need to review that dependancy.

2nd hand £70 if you don't mind going iphone 3G. But I have noticed the Samsung cameras on the similar models seem to have better spec.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE