2 years without a mobile phone Bliss

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
My phone is on 24 hours a day. I trust that my family and friends will only contact me within respectable hours if its not and emergency and work within work hours.
If my family and friends have an emergency they know I will pick up the phone at any point day or night should they need help.

My phone connects to my car stereo and like Red I can talk hands free to family or friends on a long drive. Even better I can stream iplayer mostly radio4 shows as I drive and pause them when I arrive at site. It is my daily news portal, my camera, my photo album and much more.

For unwanted calls there is always my answer phone and call screening, oh and flight mode. If I do not recognise the number calling I do not answer and my voice mail picks it up. If a customer calls outside of hours I check my voice mail when i like and decide my self if its important.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It's an ipod, a "DVD player", a camera, a video camera, a contacts book, a library, an authoring tool (you can write books, notes thoughts, rants and articles on the notepad feature on the train) and if you are stuck....

So does my Nokia and it costs 10% of the price of an iPhone.

smogz

Mar 3, 2013
Sweden
I never ever use a computer outside of work. I do everything on my phone. Don't have a clue how to find this forum in a browser. Just found it via tapatalk, the forum app where I handle all my different forum talks. What's better with sitting by a desk reading and writing this than doing it while you sit on the bus.

Last edited by a moderator:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Picky you say...

........I say you just ignored the fact that DVD Player is in quotes which marks it clearly as not being a literal reference.:p

Can it play AAC or Apple Lossless audio files?

If not.....I've covered that when I said...

I can make telephone calls on mine. That and send/receive text messages. Anything else is irrelevant.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've got one that's made of Bakelite, runs on Parrafin and still gets the Home Service; didn't they talk plummy then?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I make around 15-30 minutes of calls on my S5 each month (I have 'free' calls to mobiles from my land line) but my phone has many other features:

Email
Internet access
Play video
Play music
Watch TV
Compass
Sat Nav
Maps
Games
Read Kindle books
Google Earth
Diary
Calendar
Camera
Video camera

"Smart phones" are smart because they offer so much more than just being a phone.

I love my little old Nokia C3!
It's an alarm clock, and on really bad mornings I can use the wifi to check the weather without getting out of bed at 5:00AM when I hear people digging out their vehicles like I used to do!
With headphones it works as a radio when power is out.
Calendar and reminders..
I can keep up with all the grandkids through texts.
I never get worried about it disturbing me while in the bush because like the others in Canada, coverage is limited to town!
It's dirt cheap on my prepaid plan since I only use it infrequently for calls when travelling.
Battery life is outstanding, and for $20 I also got a portable charger which uses an AA cell, and a car charger.

On a side note (hopefully without side-tracing the thread) How many still have a hard-line?

I do since I need it for ADSL, and since long distance plans for it are cheap here in contrast to cell rates. No cheap unlimited cell plans here!

I haven't owned a television for years, but I do have a super high resolution monitor and 40 terabytes of storage...

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I have a phone and wouldn't be without it. I do software testing and QA on contract which means that I usually have a desk full of different phones, operating systems etc so I get to play with all sorts of different systems.

What I do is to switch it off when I don't want it to interrupt me. It's off when I'm driving, it's off when I'm camping out. I have voicemail and anyone who wants to can leave a message. The thing that really drives me absolutely nuts is the people whose phone goes and they answer it as a reflex action, breaking off other activities and conversations as they do so without so much as a by-your-leave.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I have a phone and wouldn't be without it. I do software testing and QA on contract which means that I usually have a desk full of different phones, operating systems etc so I get to play with all sorts of different systems.

What I do is to switch it off when I don't want it to interrupt me. It's off when I'm driving, it's off when I'm camping out. I have voicemail and anyone who wants to can leave a message. The thing that really drives me absolutely nuts is the people whose phone goes and they answer it as a reflex action, breaking off other activities and conversations as they do so without so much as a by-your-leave.

I always remember my Dad saying to us (and this was about the house phone, pre-mobiles!) "The phone is the slave, not the master!"

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Used to live on mine, when I had a job that involvd dealing woth folk on different continents etc.
now I have a Tesco cheapo, mostly its off, but I like to have it just in case.
you can switch them off, and they can be literally a life saver, just make sure you are in control of the technology, not the other way round.

Getting a "mobile" phone and then leaving it as home as much as possible. Hmmm makes sense. :rolleyes:

I'm curious too about coverage in W Norway..

Here while I just might get a Garmin64 to play with, gps on a phone would be suicidal. With no cell signal out of town, I guess I could write up my last wishes more neatly on the phone, in case of an accident in the bush. Seriously it's pointless to carry the phone rather than leave it in the truck where it won't get dropped or wet.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm curious too about coverage in W Norway..

Here while I just might get a Garmin64 to play with, gps on a phone would be suicidal.

Depends on the phone. Some phones can work fine on just a GPS signal, and have pre downloaded maps. So when out of cell range they are just like using a dedicated gps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE