2 way satellite communicator

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi
Does anyone use or has used such a device for expeditions or other uses? I'm after some info on such devices please, like which ones are good, what case would you take one with you for example, how do they work, pro's and cons if you would. I'm looking to maybe get one for my son who will be travelling at the end of the year, would it come in handy?
Kind regards
Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Hi
Does anyone use or has used such a device for expeditions or other uses? I'm after some info on such devices please, like which ones are good, what case would you take one with you for example, how do they work, pro's and cons if you would. I'm looking to maybe get one for my son who will be travelling at the end of the year, would it come in handy?
Kind regards
Bill

Ive only used one in UK for testing and setting up for client, but the support from Charles from Ashbury is marvelous, highly recomend them as a company.
https://www.ashburysatcom.co.uk/

My understanding from ocean sailing friends is that the contract required to use sat phones and calling charges are very expensive.
They have recently bought a satellite position device that allows limited 2 way texting and SOS. Currently working fine from the middle of the Atlantic and apparently much more reasonable costs.

I think they chose a Delorme InReach.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
My understanding from ocean sailing friends is that the contract required to use sat phones and calling charges are very expensive.
They have recently bought a satellite position device that allows limited 2 way texting and SOS. Currently working fine from the middle of the Atlantic and apparently much more reasonable costs.

I think they chose a Delorme InReach.

In reach is popular for messaging purposes

If its only for during one trip, i would definitely rent, ashbury do rental, £80 for one week inc 35 minutes calling.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Thanks, the trip is for two years, so was thinking maybe buying one then selling it on after, thanks
Bill

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks, the trip is for two years, so was thinking maybe buying one then selling it on after, thanks
Bill

Don't know much about what's available but if you're thinking of selling it on after 2 years you'll probably want to get the newest technology available. Otherwise it'll likely be obsolete (and worthless) after 2 years.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Its the isatphone pro that my client has
http://www.inmarsat.com/service/isatphone-pro/

as opposed to the current 2
http://www.inmarsat.com/isatphone/

its not like android phones that lose value rapidly.

if its for sending basic messages and calls, they havent changed much in years.

just new types of devices like the inreach.

the satphone 2 has new features like bluetooth and a tracking mode etc.

like cell phones, sat phones dont all have the same covereage, mostly artic is the issue.
Where is he going?

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Where is your son traveling to? When my friends son took his gap year and traveled SE Asia, Australia, NZ and S/America, they were in constant contact via Skype, Facebook and mobile phone.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi guys
Thanks again for the replies. He's travelling to Asia, eg India Cambodia Vietnam Phuket mambi Kathmandu Australia NZ etc, he said like you guys there is reception in most places, he's walking the base camp for 17 days, not sure about reception up there though,
Thanks again
Bill

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Thats OK then

see info from ashbury

"[FONT=&quot]While the Thuraya and Globalstar satellite phones work only in specific regions, the Iridium satellite phones work anywhere on Earth, while the Inmarsat satellite phones work anywhere except the polar regions.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]While both the Iridium and Inmarsat satellite phones can be used out at sea, the omni-directional antennas of the Iridium satellite phones makes them better suited for the marine environment. However as a general rule of thumb, the Inmarsat satellite phones are cheaper to use than the Iridium satellite phones."

I would go with inmarsat,[/FONT]

Also satellite phones cant be unlocked at all. they are fixed to a network

Hi guys
Thanks again for the replies. He's travelling to Asia, eg India Cambodia Vietnam Phuket mambi Kathmandu Australia NZ etc, he said like you guys there is reception in most places, he's walking the base camp for 17 days, not sure about reception up there though,
Thanks again
Bill

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have used Thuraya extensively and works well on all regions except North America. When communication is absolutely essential in the remotest parts of the globe then I use Iridium phones.

Call charges aren't that outrageous for pure voice. Keep Communicatíons simple. For gap year travel I don't think I would bother with a sat phone as its another bit of expensive fragile kit to get lost or stolen. You will be surprised whoever it's possible to get perfect mobile reception these days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE