2 questions...?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Hi folks; haven't posted for a while so here go's!

Sorted through my 'fire' box last night and forgot how much I have in there from bags of homemade charcloth, magnesium powder, fire piston, coal fungus, etc, etc. My first question is:

What do other readers pack in their firelighting kit?:confused:

And secondly:

What do other readers always tend to use out of ease or habit for firelighting?:confused:

Hopefully this may be a thread that enlightens the masses into our top five methods of firelighting; outside of the easy Bic route!!

Cheers all!:35:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
have to admit my fire lighting tin has just a firesteel, a lighter and some matches with cotton wool packed around.

Last edited:

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Depending on how desperate I am to get a fire going, if its only for a bit of heat I will use ferrous rod, If the wood is a little damp for instance I may use potassium permanganate and glycerine and and other times i just use a lighter, bow drills are hit and miss and if you really need a fire this is never the best option.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Gotta admit 90% of the time its just birch bark and kindling. Oh and a clipper.
Even being completely lazy its easier to find and carry birch than anything else that either costs money or is an unnecessary petrochemical.

I do have various fungi and char-cloth bits and bobs but only for fun.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
pellet tin with char cloth piece of old file and some flint bits, in my jacket pocket along with some rubber, but have never used it, empty tin with hole in the top to make more cloth, clipper but never used that, fero rod, pocket with birch bark and dry grass is a good one....

para cord for bow drill some where around my person, when bushcrafting i try to use bow drill or hand drill, fire steel as a back up, it never fails when its wet or damp.....

chris

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I rob the wife's bits of left over candles and make magic biscuits from them using cotton wool make up pads. Also use a very similar thing to rich except I don't cut them up lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

muracada

Jan 1, 2014
Devon
Habit? A bic, ease of se? A bic. However, for absolute pleasure and education; cramp balls, charcloth, birch bark, cotton wool & Vaseline...etc... lots of sticks of various shapes to make a bow drill....:campfire:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I rob the wife's bits of left over candles and make magic biscuits from them using cotton wool make up pads. Also use a very similar thing to rich except I don't cut them up lol

I'm from Yorkshire what can I say :)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
surley the ancients didn't carry a fire bow around with them. Is there anyway of just carrying around just the head of the piston a bit of string/cord, and the anlil wood in your pocket, where you could make the longer bits up from the bits around you.

If you don't undersyand please say.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge

When you make the magic biscuits do you add anything to the wax?

rscornutt

Feb 12, 2014
Alabama, USA
Ferro rod, petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls (two), thin slices of fatwood, jute twine, a few matches, magnifying lense.

I usually use a ferro rod into a feather stick or other dry material around the camp. I usually carry a ferro rod in my emergency fire kit (above), one in my pack, and another in the fire steel loop on my sheath. They are just easy.

I can make bow drill fires, but why waste the energy when you don't have to.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
My firelighting kit tends to have a mini tin of vaseline, a few cotton wool balls and tampons (stolen from swmbo), firesteel, flint and steel, clipper/bic as a back up, vial of potassium permanganate and another of glycerine (stored seperately), birch bark, charcloth, a small chunk of split dried wood that can be split into kindling or shaves for tinder in really bad weather.

Ive always struggled with bow drill etc... but find i can make fire as long as i can create a spark.
In good weather i play around with flint and steel plus naturally found tinders.
In poor weather its out with the cotton balls and dry bit of wood and the firesteel, in really bad or completely sodden conditions its thepotassium and glycerine or the bic.

I enjoy practicing fire lighting and have been know to spend hours in damp conditions trying to get a fire lit before giving in to cold or more usually hunger and using a lighter.

Hamster

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
For me a basic firesteel, flint and steel, char clothe, jute twine, 1x crap ball, I also have a lighter in my cook kit that's it.
I used to carry loads of stuff but found it wasn't getting used

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Q1. Pellet tin containing Bog cotton, Cramp ball, Amadou, Birch bark shredded, about 1ft of Jute string, Candle stub, a lump o Pine resin, a Flint and Ferro rod and a small silica gel sachet to help keep the contents of the tin crisps.

Q2. For general day to day fire lighting and with Birch very common around here , during the day I'll normaly just fill a pocket with bark and only the flint and ferro rod get out to play.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE