2 old stoves to play with

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Went to the local vintage/junky type shop today and spotted these.
No idea if they were good value or not, picked the Primas No5 for £18 and the other one for £5 either way they have just found a new owner.
Only after sitting here on google doing some searching Ive discovered its a Veritas mk1. I know this one needs some form of pump washer as its missing.
But the primus appears to be ok.
time to search you tube and see how to light the primus :) have n idea on the method already, but want to make sure.

20151002_124000.jpg

20151002_142008.jpg

20151002_124028.jpg

20151002_124012.jpg

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I may be wrong, but I believe that the primus relies on a wick to draw the fuel up to near the burner.

If so, when you first refuel it, I suggest waiting a good long while for fuel to 'wick' up then adding a little bit at the top as well.

some meths in the 'dish' around the burner, light that, a few strokes on the fuel tank pressure pump and she should go.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Thanks for the advise, im out atm but Ìm sure I saw some form of wicķ clipped to the side, just visabble in the image.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I may be wrong, but I believe that the primus relies on a wick to draw the fuel up to near the burner.

If so, when you first refuel it, I suggest waiting a good long while for fuel to 'wick' up then adding a little bit at the top as well.

some meths in the 'dish' around the burner, light that, a few strokes on the fuel tank pressure pump and she should go.

No wicks used, just air pressure, so just fill prime and away you go.
http://www.base-camp.co.uk/instructions 3.htm

You can buy a new pump leather off base camp or ebay cheap enough. You'll need to fit the pump leather and soak it in oil (olive oil is fine). Feel free to ask for help and I'll give it.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Thanks rik_uk3
Managed to fire up the primus no problem, made a leather washer for the veritas and its been soaking in olive oil for about 2 hours. Kinda remembered that from when i was a lad in the scouts :)
I will definatly ask for help because that was all my knowledge without research :?

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Could not resist, I decided the Primas No5 had to start its new life with a clean up.
Cant wait to see it in daylight.
just found out theres a code stamped on the underside AD31 looked it up and turns out it was manufactured in 1939 not sure what the 31 relates to though. Id guess day and month?

20151002_221653.jpg

Another picture but in daylight.
20151003_112127-1.jpg

Last edited:

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Here is the Veritas MK1 cleaned up for now. Neither have fracture or stress cracks so Im a happy bunny.
20151003_133020.jpg

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
I didnt have any Brasso, next best thing I had was Autosol metal polish.
I put on a vynil gloves (clear type used by mechanics) when I first started I used a cloth.
As usual I found the cloth just absorbed the cream rapidly and gummed up, had to keep applying cream. I got concerned at the rate I was applying it, I would have none left. I tried just rubbing the autosol with my fingertips, the rubber glove pushes it about and was far more effective than using the cloth. I then used cotton buds and cloth to get to parts my fingers couldnt do. Then wiped away, before the autosol dried.
Wasnt hard work like Ive experienced using cloths alone.
The gloves did not rip which was quite suprise.
Hope this helps for anyone else, about to do a clean up.

Last edited:

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
That's great! I wouldn't have thought that autosol would do it on its own! I've been fancying going a bit retro on camp cooking for a while so might have a look around and see what I can get :)

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
I have a variety of different cookers of varied styles, from home made to vintage, seems I enjoy them for what they are, they also make good talking points when people ask about them.
More so the tackle tart carp fisherman type who only want the latest brand name.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Ive had both stoves runing the primus has no issues at all.
The veritas was a struggle because I didnt know enough. Ive been given some great advise by rik_uk3 which I have followed, also ordered the washer kit he recommended. Await its arrival. I was also told from another forum to make sure jet size is correct and not blocked. Make sure I wind shield while priming or it will struggle to light.
I have had it running and has a good flame colour, all blue.

Once the new washer kit is installed I shall be able to use as and when I want.

20151004_202727.jpg

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Great picture Ch@rlie, that mix of blues and reds fills me with memories of making a brew in dark bothies, snowholes & tents while the rain battered down outside. The hiss and smell that goes with it are comforting too.
Nice brace of stoves you've got yourself there.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
That's great! I wouldn't have thought that autosol would do it on its own! I've been fancying going a bit retro on camp cooking for a while so might have a look around and see what I can get :)

point of interest guys autosol is also good for polishing & removing light scratches from plastics like Swedish army issue kuksa for instance & an autosol shine lasts longer than brasso & stops the corosive transfer of oil from your skin to some extent its also brill for chroming up old aly pots, removing soot & also bringing back dull painted surfaces to some extent. So autosol not just for metal...

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Here is the Veritas MK1 cleaned up for now. Neither have fracture or stress cracks so Im a happy bunny.

Nice work! I like shiny & old the little one reminds me of my childhood my Action man had one in his bush craft kit & a little oval mess kit

action man & stove. jpeg by Alan 13-7, on Flickr

So seems like I've been playing with stoves all my days my late Dad had a couple of these I'm sorry to say I took them for-granted & widely ignored them as through ignorance they had flared up in my face & put me off... I don't know what has happened to them not seen them for a while they are probably still knocking around some where...

Last edited:

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Thankyou Alan 13~7
If you still have them.. try again.
I can honestly say I was weary of firing them up, however I did watch some youtube footage first.
For anyone whos unaware.
(These are parraffin stoves)
What I have discovered is dont pump pressure in too soon, wait until meths preheat is almost over, if you do pump too soon and it flares up, just remove the pressure by unscrewing the vent or fuel cap and it stops that.(only on parraffin stoves).
Dont release pressure with petrol or coleman fuel stoves the vapour released will ignite. And youl have no eyebrows/hair or worse.. burns.

Biggest lesson with the stoves above is make sure theres a wind shield around the stem for the preheat. Without it I struggled to light the smaller one.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE