The Fox Box - Subscription Box

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Hi All,

Recently The Fox Workshop a small one man company introduced a subscription based box called The Fox Box which is currently on a three month trial. For anyone not familiar with subscription boxes they are a package of retail products send directly to you every month, this allows the company putting the package together to buy in bulk and get items at a reduced cost which is passed along to the consumer.
The Fox box is on trial for £35 +P&P per month (you can sign up to the three month trial or buy a one off box) each month it offers contents with a value of around £60, as far as I know this is the first UK based subscription box which is based around bushcraft, survival and prepping, so to I decided to sign up for the three month trial and see what turns up on my door step.

FB1.jpg

Today the first months Fox Box arrived and it was like Christmas came early in my house (well for me it was) rushing home from work to find out what products I would find in the box.
Opening the box the first thing you pull out is a fact sheet which explains the contents and provides the suppliers/manufactures website details and value of the item. A nice touch is a monthly challenge to use the items supplied and share of social media.

5a24bb94-e738-457f-809b-ac548d558b41.jpg

When looking into the box it has been packaged using what appears to be a natural wood based material, ideal for tinder.

FB2.jpg

As promised by the Fox Workshop the items within are of high quality and the main focus of the first box is water and fire. The main items of the box is the Life Straw valued at £20 and two forms of tinder, the first being the Live Fire valued at £6 and 10ft of 550 fire cord valued £5 with just these items almost equal the value paid for the box.

[URL="http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss55/tankislarge/FB3.jpg%5b/IMG"]http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss55/tankislarge/FB3.jpg[/IMG[/URL]]
[IMG]http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss55/tankislarge/FB4.jpg

It would have been nice to have a found a method of fire ignition included but speaking to the owner of the Fox Company this is coming in a future box.

FB5.jpg

This month included a handmade tinder pouch made by Ron the owner of The Fox Workshop, it’s a nice touch to have something handmade and another item of high quality, hopefully the following boxes continue with this.

FB6.jpg

FB7.jpg

Each item can’t be a high value item but the lower value items contained in the box are still of high quality, well thought out and are useable products. In this category are several small items including a 100% cotton bandana which we all know the uses for, AAA to AA battery converters, Stoats Oats snacks (which didn’t take long for me to sample one of the bars). These items I would consider the fluff of the box and if picked correctly by the Fox Workshop they can find a use in most kits.

FB8.jpg

The final thing I found in the box was a Readyman Survival card, this was not a product I had heard and I did not quiet know what to make of it but after playing with it and looking at the Readyman site I can see this would be a useful tool in a ‘survival’ situation, do I see myself using it? No. Do I see it in my kit somewhere? I have never been one for survival kits but for the size, weight, quality and fun factor I may find a place in my kit.

Verdict : At the end of the day I knew its going to be a gamble but with this first box I feel the gamble was worth it, I am more than happy with the items in the box and think the majority will be incorporate in to one kit or another. Next months items have already been hinted on the website and I am already looking forward to another Christmas comes early. I would recommend if you are interested in the idea to check out The Fox Company website http://thefoxworkshop.weebly.com/the-fox-box.html

I have given some feed back to The Fox Workshop, but thought I would open and get the communities thoughts.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That looks like a fun parcel to find coming your way :D
Full of Good Things :approve: and encouraging for one to play with too.

Good review as well :D thank you for that Tank. Appreciated.

cheers,
Toddy

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Thanks Toddy, it's exciting knowing I have a nether Christmas just around the corner. Will be getting out to try the Life Straw soon.

T

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE