2 man tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MonsieurDig

Jan 6, 2015
United Kingdom
Hey I'm looking for a two man tent to use wild camping on my own. Reasonable price but open to all suggestions. Just looking for something easy for me to set up on my own and weather tight.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Agreed that for one man, if you can carry the bulk and weight of a two-man tent it's far better than squeezing into a one-man tent.

If you want weather tight, it's not going to be very cheap.

Cheap tents will usually shelter you from rain, but the groundsheets often fail badly. When I use cheap tents I usually put them on a sheet of polythene to help the groundsheet.
Recently I didn't bother with the polythene sheet when I pitched a cheap tent in France and things got very wet and muddy when groundwater soaked through the groundsheet.

You'd have thought I'd have known better by now. :(

With or without a tent I normally use a bivvy bag. It saved my bacon in France that night. :)

Don't bother with 'pop-up' and 'festival' tents.
Dome tents with a couple of flexible poles which cross each other in the middle are about the simplest to set up, and they usually don't need any guys if the weather isn't too windy.
Unfortunately the doorways on dome tents tend to catch a bit of rain, but you can get them with a porch although it adds complexity (and weight and volume). Tunnel tents tend to be better from that point of view but they'll usually need guys.

There are too many available to give a representative selection as examples, but I've had good service from Vango and Jack Wolfskin which are probably at the more expensive end of the range you'd be interested in.

Practice putting the tent up and taking it down a few times in daylight on the lawn or something before you do it for real at night in the pouring rain.
Make sure you know where everything is when it's stowed.

A tarp is a really useful addidtion to any tent setup, it gives you a lot more useable sheltered space for little extra weight and bulk.

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
recently got a snugpak scorpion2 which can be stored and pitched inner and outer together. I can get it pitched properly easily within 10 minutes. A small tent, snug for two but me and my dog (bearded collie) and my backpack fit it lovely. The inner is black so it feels dark inside which is good for a lie-in and good for blocking light escaping if you wish to be less visible. Porch is tiny but offers some space for storage. Being on the west of Scotland I may also use a tarp for a work area sometimes. 1st time I used it the damp, mild day temperature dropped to -1 and there was quite a bit of condensation on the inside of the flysheet, my wet dog did not help that, and a good frost on the outside. I think this would have happened in any tent.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've used a Wild Country zephyros 2 for a few years now. It's fairly light and roomy enough for one person with gear. It's stood up to plenty of mountain weather, wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

My only bug bear is the inner height I'm 6'1 and I can only sit up cross legged at the very apex of the tent. Pretty minor issue but something to consider. The pegs are rubbish too but quickly replaced with some alpkit y beam pegs.

http://m.millets.co.uk/tents-camping/108811-wild-country-zephyros-2-man-technical-tent-green.html/529828/?istCompanyId=b238823a-59fd-4816-9c36-7dd47877f2a8&istItemId=qtqxwmaax&istBid=tzil&gclid=Cj0KEQiA4qSzBRCq1-iLhZ6Vsc0BEiQA1qt-zuZGeEhqaDG9XhNKY8ZKDA6Jr8gyA2f9ATbea-mFARMaAqqb8P8HAQ

DSC_0265_zpsda4da94d.jpg

zephywc1.jpg

Last edited:

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
I wouldn't write off pop-up tents unless you are hiking. I have owned an Outwell pop-up for a few years now. It has survived many Scottish Winters, including deep snow and gale force winds. So easy to deploy in bad weather.

If you are hiking though, they are just too big and awkward to carry any distance.

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
Can't beat the old Polish Army 2-poncho tents. Weigh nearly 4kgs. but they're just about everything-proof. Go up in 5 minutes, and they come in a nice, unnoticeable shade of olive brown.

Hey I'm looking for a two man tent to use wild camping on my own. Reasonable price but open to all suggestions. Just looking for something easy for me to set up on my own and weather tight.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Can't beat the old Polish Army 2-poncho tents. Weigh nearly 4kgs. but they're just about everything-proof. Go up in 5 minutes, and they come in a nice, unnoticeable shade of olive brown.

I honestly think you can beat them, they are too heavy and are only small poncho's which make a small shelter, your way better off getting a proper tent IMHO

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I've used a Wild Country zephyros 2 for a few years now.

I've got one of those, and its a decent tent - roomy enough for 1 with kit, but also light to carry, although I haven't used it as much as I'd like.

Yes, the pegs are not that great (although I got the slightly better red ones with mine), and I also replaced mine with some Alpkit Y beams!

£105 is a very decent price - £125 is the going rate.

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Probably the gucciest of all tents are those made by hilleberg (not cheap but last for donkeys) - but a real important point to note are the quality of pegs. Take a look at delta pegs - light/strong and I've seen them hold down a tent in winds of 60+mph (no affiliation btw).

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I managed to find a Hilleberg Akto (sp?) in a sale for about half price around 5 years ago. I have used it regularly ever since in some wild weather in the Highlands and abroad.
For one person it's roomy enough, but the sitting up issue raised earlier is something to keep in mind.
The tent has never let me down. It's very expensive full price - way beyond me - but look out for sales, as I did.
I use a homemade footprint to protect the groundsheet. If I'm out for more than a couple of nights, I'll take a small tarp to add living space. Yes, that adds to the overall weight, but it also keeps the tent dry/drier plus you have a lunch stop cover in poor weather.
I replaced all my pegs with Alpkit y-shaped ones (they may be called y beams or similar - check their site) and then bought more for all my camping activities as they're so effective in all conditions (with a bit of planning in deep snow).
My Scouts have small Vango tents similar to the Akto but with more poles. They are ok if you're not going high and / or in really rough weather.
Hope that's helpful.
All the best.

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
Firstly I am a beginner at the camping thing so I'm just finding my way.

I have a vango banshee 200 which is a nice 2 man tent, really only suitable for one, and I like it. Very easy to put up and can be had for around 90 quid. It seems to be pretty much a standard for inexpensive tents. The down side is that it is relatively heavy and has a considerable volume.

Recently I spotted a vaude power lizard at a good price from a company called uttings, they are doing them for 200 quid. Now I've only just got it but am impressed as it seems well constructed and only weighs in at 1kg. It also seems longer and more roomy than the banshee. For me the biggest advantage has been the reduction in volume. I can get sleeping bag, mat, cooking gear and tent in the main compartment of a 33 litre rucksack with room for food whereas it took a 55 litre rucksack with the banshee.

Both options worth looking at in my view and if you can buy light and low volume first time around as eventually it is something you will want to do further down the line.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
if you can buy light and low volume first time around as eventually it is something you will want to do further down the line.

Thats great advice - its why I went for the Zephyros 2 - its was just about half a kilo lighter than the Vango, but about £25 more expensive. The Power Lizard was a fantastic buy, and its always worth looking through Outdoor Magic's Bargain thread, etc, just to see what deals are around. If you can buy fillet steak for the price of frying, then why not!

However, that ebay store for Vango also looks good, and someone could pick up a very decent tent for a good price.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
If I were on a budget, I'd probably go for a Vaude Mark tent like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HLCQQB2 or a Vango Halo 200: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vango-Halo-...ie=UTF8&qid=1450051113&sr=1-43&keywords=vango

Both pitch inner and outer as one so the inner doesn't get wet in a storm, both have good ventilation (The Vaude is better), both can deal with wind but not the worst weather like a Hilleberg can and both have two vestibules so you can use one for storage and one for admin, cooking etc.

I use a MSR Hubba Hubba NX for solo trips and a Papa Hubba for more but neither are cheap.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE