2 Hammock at night

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Yesterday night I went out into the woods and tried to sleep in a Hammock for the first time.
I took my freshly delivered DD and a borrowed Byer Moscito Traveller for a friend who didnt show up.
Which was my luck, because I couldnt sleep at all in the DD and had to use the Byer.
The reason was the design of the DD, which means that a rope in a sleeve pulls the end of the Hammock together, reducing head- and footroom to nil. Also due to this design, the sides of the Hammock flopped around, they didnt, as I am used to, encapsulate the sleeper with quite high and taut walls. no coccoon here. It was like lying on a long and small plank.
The Byer, pitched later that night right over the DD, gave a solid and stable place to rest, (but had other problems).
Have a look at the pic to see the different designs:
99.07020.jpg

Have I missed something with the DD, or is this intended with the design?

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
Just forgotto say:
I slept short but really well, woke up refreshed and very relaxed and, because it cant stay that good, had my Digicam die that very morning.
€ 240 down the drain after 28 month of use.
here goes the money intended for underblanket and quilt.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
your camera diddn't just pic up conisension did it? - a spell in the airing cupboard may be worth a go!;)

Gailainne

Life Member
Hmm

Are you really tall ? the DD was and still is a favourite of mine, the only prob I had was the mossy net, which rips if the tension is to much, (Hennessy solves that problem but creates a few others). Hennessy does a 9ft version, which if you are tall may suit you better.

Stephen

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I love the DD hammocks. I find that other hammocks cocoon me too much and despite tying taught, I feel like I'm doubled up in the middle because they sag too much. But of course it's all about how comfortable you feel. I also like to see out over the side of the hammock.

The newer DD's are much longer than the older ones, but still not as long as the Magikelly's. The problem with the DD hammock with the in built mossie net can be solved by tying up the net to the ridgeline by small bungees.

Cheers,

Pablo.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
Buy a Group Buy Hammock from Magikelly, about £19 I think. Plenty of room in them.
Do I take it your order for Quilt is now in jeopardy?
Ian..

No, it isnt!
I decided to forget about a new camera until I have sold enough superfluous bike stuff on ebay.
Sleeping outside in a Hammock was so good, its more important this winter!!!

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I'm 6'1 too, but I think with the DD I think it's the width + the length :rolleyes:
my DD is like laying in a coffin, the only way to be comfortable is to lay with your arms crossed. count duckula style, ;) I am quite wide from shoulder to hip.
Hopefully the new magickelly will be that little bit more on the Generous side

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
I use a DD and although being 5`8" but very broad found it quite cumfy, only thing i dont like is the feeling of cold beneath you, i tried a modded sleep mat layed inside first but this was way uncumfy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE