1st night

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
spent my 1st night out without a slepping bag on friday,:D was amaysed at how walm i was, just set my tarp up as a lean-to with my thermarest, and away i went,(to sleep) also relize now how imprtant it is to have the wind at the back of u, and how little kit u realy need espeshaly now its getting walmer.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Wait for the summer - a good warm night with no rain will allow you to sleep out with no sleeping kit. As long as you know how to improvise a bed for some insulation you won't need tarps, sleeping bags, bivvy bags or thermarests :D (Mind you, I'd take a light blanket just in case :rolleyes: )
It's amazing how much kit you can leave at home if you have some knowledge and the patience to put that knowledge to work.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
blast from the past
i think this thread deserves it as it was talking about sleeping out without all of the kit, this is something i am going to try soon
leon

Wayland

Hárbarðr
As a kid I often slept out in the summer months with just a blanket.

I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for that these days I guess. :rolleyes:

A couple of times I got damp if the weather turned but I didn't actually suffer much for it.

It's funny but now I'd be in the front of the finger wagging brigade saying how important it is to go out properly equipped to someone of my age back then.

I suppose sometimes being mentally equipped is just as important as being loaded down with gear but it is easier to see if someone is carrying the right gear.

Having a back-up plan or escape route is still a good idea though. If things got bad back then I was only a few miles from home so I could always trudge back through the rain.

The thing that worries me now is what could have happened if I'd injured myself somehow. No mobile phones to bail me out back then. :eek:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ah, it is all down to the formula - what the temperature is plus what the weather conditions are ,devided by your cold tolerance over the square root of skill in building natural shelter.
Example - Ghana 2003 - temp 39 degrees C plus thick overcast devided by hot sleeper over square root of S** all = a hot night!
Example 2 - Loch Morlich 2000 - temp -5 degrees C plus clear frosty night devided by hot sleeper over square root of pine bed in snow grave = comfortable night!
It is so easy if you understand maths - which I don't!
Liberate yourself from your physical load by gaining a weighty knowledge of the world?
But always have emergency kit to bail you out if things go wrong - at least while you are learning the skills!
John

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It is a "liberating experience" sleeping out. I find the advantage of shelter building is a lightened load. The advantage of a tarp is the ability to get quickly out of the wet and still not feel like you are in a house. The advantage of a tent is a midge free, damp free environment and a heightened likelihood of BB coming too!

Red

Wayland said:
<snip>The thing that worries me now is what could have happened if I'd injured myself somehow. No mobile phones to bail me out back then. :eek:

Sorry for snipping your post down to this size but I was involved in an incident when I was 15 where we had very little equipment.

Back in '85 three companions and I went Fell walking in Yorkshire - I was 15 and had very little kit except boots, waterproofs, rucksack, food and water. On our decent from the fells one evening it was raining and we were all heads down getting on with it. I notice what looked like a blue plastic fertilizer bag to the side of the pathway, as we got closer I realized that it was a person and broke into a run. When I got closer I could see it was a fellow hill walker face down in a stream that ran to one side of the track. We pulled him from the stream - he was dead and he was cold. There was little we could have done for him. A pal and I dumped our kit and ran down into the valley to get to a phone. The police arrived in a Fiesta and we had to get the farmer to take us back up the Fell on a trailer towed behind his tractor. Several months later, after the inquest or whatever, we were contacted by the man's sister - the chap had had a massive heart attack and had died before he had fallen face down in the stream - there would have been nothing we could have done for him if we had found him earlier, regardless this still plays on my mind.

Since then I have always been careful selecting what kit I have with me, perhaps I am now over-careful and I carry far too much. If the situation had been different and the gentleman we had found had been badly injured we would have had no first aid kit whatsoever nor the wherewithall to made anything. Even if I go only a few miles from home I normally take at least one knife, my FAK, PSK and my mobile (which is switched off) in a waterproof slip with me.

Phil.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
A few years ago I came upon the scene of a bad road traffic accident out in the country at night.

It was a crossroads and two cars had smashed into each other in the middle.

Both drivers were mobile but likely to go into shock. There was a female passenger in one car who was screeming loudly, a boy, a girl and a baby in the back of that car.

The girl seemed OK, so long as the woman was screaming I had to assume she was non critical. The baby was dead and the boy was quiet, very pale and trapped in the wreckage. No one there had a mobile phone at the time and the only availabe light was from my headlights..

I focussed the drivers attention onto helping me get the rear door open to get to the boy but it was completely jammed.

As other vehicles arrived someone had a phone and called the emergency services. I marsalled some of the drivers to park down each spur of the junction with hazards flashing to slow down other approaching traffic then I went back to the boy.

He was bleeding heavily but I couldn't get to him any way I tried. In the end all I could do was hold his hand as he quietly slipped away.

I still well up sometimes when I think about it now, but now I keep a very extensive first aid and rescue kit in my vehicle wherever I go and a large crowbar too.

I've had to explain the crowbar a few times to the police but It's always going to be in my van from now on.

I agree, sometimes it is a good idea to carry equipment, especially safety equipment not just because we may need it but because we may meet someone else that needs it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE