1st attempt with an axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well, I couldn't go to the Northwood meet so this afternoon I had a go with the Gransfors hatchet Plastic Ninja loaned me. First impressions - it's a really nice little axe and fits my hands.

I decided to have a go at a spoon so I followed Ben Orford's vid on Youtube, I find it really good and easy to follow. Watching Ben it looks really easy ... I began with a log the same size as his and went to split it; he does it in 3 whacks, I did it in about 10! I found it interesting that I'm usually right-handed but I've got a titanium right shoulder replacement which has restricted my movement; it looked important to be safe so I put the axe in my right hand and hit it with the mallet in my left which gave me more freedom of movement and kept my legs out of the way. Worth thinking about what he means when he says “use your non-dominant hand”. The log split well.

Next job, using the axe. Again I followed ben’s instructions, making little chops while holding the log at an angle to smooth the face. Doing it showed me more of what he meant, began to get the knowing into my body instead of just in my head. I carried on, got the “squashed Z” he talks about and drew a very basic spoon on the face.

I began to find a problem! I was now using my right hand with the axe which was working fine except I got a blister in the soft skin between thumb and 1[SUP]st[/SUP] finger! All stop while I improvise a plaster …

IMAG1951.jpg

That’s better, now it doesn’t hurt to use the axe. Get on with the job, it’s good fun and the spoon-blank is coming along ok. I’m making some mistakes using the axe, needs practice. OK his is just the first spoon. I’m also finding that the heel of my left hand is getting sore from supporting and rubbing against the log. I’ve got “steroid skin”, very thin and bruises easily from the drugs I take for the RA. Never mind, just means I need to do the axe work more slowly – of course, I don’t want to because it’s fun and I’ve never done it before and I’m thrilled to be actually doing it! Hey ho … *grin*.

IMAG1952.jpg

I went on and did some knife work on the blank. I can’t do all Ben’s cuts, at least no yet, the shoulder one is specially difficult and seems to be encumbered by my breasts! Dammit! Being a woman has unexpected pitfalls! I wonder if there’s a way round this? All the cuts are somewhat hampered by my deformed hands but we’re getting there – practice.

Anyway, I got to the stage where I should be carving out the bowl of the spoon … and I don’t have a crook knife! The best I’m going to afford for a while is the Mora. But … how did/do people whittle a spoon with just the forest tools of axe and knife? Presumably they must have done so before they dreamed up crook-knives ??? Ideas on a postcard *g*.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
There is no way around the fact that it is just damned hard work at the start. You need to keep taking break and keeping everything really sharp. That's where a strop comes in handy.

Keep at it, it gets better, honest.

Elen Sentier

There is no way around the fact that it is just damned hard work at the start. You need to keep taking break and keeping everything really sharp. That's where a strop comes in handy.

Keep at it, it gets better, honest.

I will! Keep at it and take the breaks :). I did keep the strop by me and kept the knife sharp. I've got the other half of the log to do next - in due course! - so will keep practising.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I think the traditional way to get a bowl was to burn it out with some hot coals. Never tried it myself. I found using a blade and slicing my hand regularly to be more exciting. :rolleyes:

For carving the bowl out I rarely use my mora spoon knife now, as I much prefer a Flexcut curved blade carver.

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Keep up the good work Elen its the only way to get better , use a small coal to burn the bowl out and just clean up the char

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Save up a bit more & buy a decent crook knife - you'll only get frustrated with a Mora. I've got a Ben Orford & an FGYT one. I prefer the Orford blade but the FGYT handle but they're both great

Burning with coals is fun though and keeps your hands warm round the fire!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Save up a bit more & buy a decent crook knife - you'll only get frustrated with a Mora.

The Mora's just need a little bit of work and re profiling to make them into perfectly good usable tools, takes about ten minutes or so to do with a bit of wet & dry, i use Mora spoon knives all the time and dont have a problem with them.

I do prefer my Orford's though, you really do get what you pay for.

Elen Sentier

I can well believe you get what you pay for, the difference between my Mora knife and the one I got from Dave Budd last year is off planet but, that said, the Mora is still a damn good knife. I aint got no money to spare at the moment so if I want to use a crook knife it will have to be a Mora, will ask for more info on profiling, Kepis, when I get it. Having had the use of the Gransfors I'm rather smitten and that's a few bob although not as much as I'd have to pay for one of Dave's. Ben's crooks sound good from what you all say.

Will have a go with a coal from the fire tomorrow and try not to burn the house down :D Now ... do we have any tongs in the house ???

Do you do all the fine smoohing with a knife or do you use sandpaper too? This spoon will need sandpaper in any case, to cover over my mistakes !!! Hubby managed a "good!" so he must be quite impressed :lmao:

Elen Sentier

Ouch! Ouch! Double steroids and pain killers tonight! Wrists, fingers back and right shoulder and right knee (?) all hurt. Never mind, had great fun. Shall take it easier next time, but the thrill of doing it does get to me :D

behind every creative woman there's usually a very talented cat ...

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
...I put the axe in my right hand and hit it with the mallet in my left which gave me more freedom of movement and kept my legs out of the way. Worth thinking about what he means when he says “use your non-dominant hand”. ...

....(I) began to get the knowing into my body instead of just in my head.....
Most interesting, you had a profitable time while we at Northwood mentioned and thought of you often, then! I love your phraseology and the way you're adapting work methods to what suits your strength and physiology best. You're going to be a great carver and I can't wait to watch your skills developing :)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The Mora's just need a little bit of work and re profiling to make them into perfectly good usable tools, takes about ten minutes or so to do with a bit of wet & dry, i use Mora spoon knives all the time and dont have a problem with them.

I do prefer my Orford's though, you really do get what you pay for.

In fairness, Kepis, asking someone just starting out to reprofile a knife is likely to cause more confusion. I also don't like the fact they're double sided as it means you can't put pressure on the back of the blade

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
In fairness, Kepis, asking someone just starting out to reprofile a knife is likely to cause more confusion. I also don't like the fact they're double sided as it means you can't put pressure on the back of the blade

They also do single sided spoon knives Sandpit, which are the ones i was referring to, apols if that wasnt clear, the reprofiling of a Mora spoon knife takes ten minutes to do, all you need is a bit of wet and dry, a flat stick and a marker pen, ive had an 8 year old do it, albeit under instruction, so it's not overly difficult.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE