1st Air Rifle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scout

Nomad
Aug 30, 2005
Dumfries & Galloway
I'm looking for my first air rifle, mainly for rats, crows and rabbits but i'm at a loss as to what to look for.

Can anyone give any starter pointers?

I have shot my dads gun before, an AA S400 so i'm not totally inexperienced.

Thanks in advance

Nathan

beachcaster

May 7, 2007
east sussex
I would pop into your local gun shop and shoulder a few.
The first choice is do you go springer or compressed air.
Both can be excellent but with air you get limited shots before you have to refill.
With a springer you get a tin of pellets and off you go.

I am a fan of Weihrauch guns which are well made and well respected.
if you can handle the weight a HW80 or the slightly lighter HW95
are both solid choices...and will always be worth money.

As for 1.77 or 2.2 well there are opinions both ways.....So I have one of both.

All the best

Barry

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I'm totally new to the use of airguns. I own one, but living in the city in the Netherlands there is no space to shoot. Anyway, what I was wondering. What do you need to shoot rabbits. Will a weirauch, spring loaded .177 do? or will you need more punch.?

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Geuf said:
I'm totally new to the use of airguns. I own one, but living in the city in the Netherlands there is no space to shoot. Anyway, what I was wondering. What do you need to shoot rabbits. Will a weirauch, spring loaded .177 do? or will you need more punch.?

If the Weirauch is working properly it should be capable of killing rabbits very cleanly.
If you are not able to shoot often the question is, are you capable of killing a rabbit ?, (can you consistently hit your target ?).
I practise on 25mm targets, if i can hit them consistently i know i can hunt at that range, when i can't consistently hit a 25mm target i know that it's beyond the capability of the gun or me.

Before you attempt to hunt any living thing you should practise until you can say with 99% certainty that you can hit your target cleanly.
Every responsible hunter owes that to their quarry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE