1972 pattern webbing pouch ID

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Hi, i came across this 1972 pattern pouch recently,but im not exactly sure what it was used for.I know the system was only trialled in the 70s and not issued, it looks like it may have been some kind of pouch for a Trilux susat site for the SLR rifle,i may be wrong. It has the belt attachment on the side of the pouch and the stock number with a faint date and crowsfoot mark.The clip has had some repair to it in the past hence the rough stiching.Can anyone ID its intended purpose? Thanks.
Darren

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Have you seen Simon Howletts book on Modern british webbing?Theres one in there very similar and describes it as a SUIT pouch.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I have the full 72 pattern set up but not this pouch. Go figure? Wasn't very versatile kit as needed to have the three main pouches together to work. Comfortable to wear though.

jarlidge

Oct 19, 2010
somerset
hi
i was wondering could anyone send me a picture of the pouch as i think i have found a brand new one in my collection.
thanks
jeff

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Radix Lecti

I have some of these (that I acquired with some '72 patt experimental SF vests), and note that the one you have has had its buckle changed (as you mention). originally it would have had a buckle similar to those on the '58 ammo pouches, but made from similar material to the pouch itself.

I have no idea of the exact use for these, but know they were issued for a few purposes, including:
Carriage of the SUIT sight.

The only other thing to add is that the SLR used a SUIT sight, and not a SUSAT sight (that is used with the SA80 etc, and is the newer development)

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
My friends dad went to the Falklands and bought back a load of discarded Argentinian webbing....which was quite poor quality, a close copy of ALICE so nylon, but thinner, cheaper materials, the fixtures were not coated so all the metal parts were rusty and the yoke was like 44" pattern with no padding what so ever.

I used to have 72" webbing, just didn't have the rear pouch. I used a 58 half kidney pouch or a 58 resi-pouch.
it' was OK, quite comfortable, but the pouch clips didn't seem to work well, but you couldn't add or remove a pouch or the set fell apart. much like the SADF(South African defence force) vest:
298601.html
Which I also used and found the same compatibility problems.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Radix Lecti

The only other thing to add is that the SLR used a SUIT sight, and not a SUSAT sight (that is used with the SA80 etc, and is the newer development)

Sorry Ray i should know better you are right i just got mixed up with my SUIT and SUSAT sights.The SA80 came in just as i left.

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
Here comes the necro post:

How rare are the SUIT pouches? Or maybe a better question: how much should I expect to pay for one? Never come across them but they look rather functional for my .5 litre flask :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE