18650 batteries, who makes the better ones?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
AW IMR. End of discussion :)

http://www.ledfiretorches.co.uk/aw-imr-18650-rechargeable-safe-chemistry-batteries.html

Can also be had on candlepowermarketplace fairly regularly.

After that genuine panasonics are a good mid range cell

http://dx.com/p/genuine-panasonic-1...ttery-with-protection-board-green-pair-121444

If on a budget then these are about the best for genuine capacity

http://dx.com/p/trustfire-protected...h-rechargeable-lithium-batteries-2-pack-20392

if you just dont care then ebay will return some cheap rubbish that will give you an hour at 1amp drain

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Should have added that i only use unprotected batteries. The ones with protection circuits are often slightly longer than stated and can make torch clickys stop working.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
I've got about 8 of them all around 2.6Amp/H but the best it my ultrafire one, the rest I had from an old laptop battery they are also very good.

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Many of the better batteries use Panasonic cells, my Ampmax 3100mAh ones certainly do. As far as I know if you get ones that use genuine Panasonic cells you can't really go too far wrong.

The absolute bestest, probably AW 3400mAh jobbies.

Last edited:

nigelbam

Apr 16, 2012
United Kingdom
AW IMR are very good. But a word of advice would be to search for 'Torchy' on ebay and then pm the seller. If it is worth knowing about batteries then he knows it. Tell him what application you need the battery for and he will be able to recommend the most suitable.

Nigel.

gravelmonkey

Feb 11, 2013
UK
What's everyones reasons for with the IMR chemistry cells being recommended? Best bet (IMO) is to go with a protected LiCo Panasonic cell (AW, Ampmax, Callies Kustoms, Nitecore, Eagletac, Fenix etc). Unless you're running high drain applications or want to be able to run the cell down to a low voltage without the protective circuit tripping (which will damage cells if done too low or regularly). Also bear in mind the cost of capacity (IIRC, highest capacity IMR is about 2200mah and LiCo is 3400mah)

Here's a good set of technical details on various cells. What torch are you planning to use them in? Have you got a decent charger?

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
AW IMR are very good. But a word of advice would be to search for 'Torchy' on ebay and then pm the seller. If it is worth knowing about batteries then he knows it. Tell him what application you need the battery for and he will be able to recommend the most suitable.

Nigel.

Hello Nigel

I searched for Torchy on ebay but nothing was found, do you know whether there were any numbers in his username or any other letters??

Cheers, John :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE