16mm-18mm rebar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
6 x short lengths of rebar ,,,,, i will cover post to you ( cattle class) in return for a one piece made into a nice bushy blade.

what du think ?.....cheers stewartIMG_1407.JPGIMG_1408.JPGIMG_1409.JPG 16mm- 18mm

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I don't think rebar would make a very good blade to be honest, best case scenario it's mild steel but sometimes it's just made from whatever cheap scrap they had available. Either way it doesn't have a high enough carbon content to make a good knife.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I've been told by an informed source that rebar is quite passable for a working blade and is *usually* medium carbon. However, this is a bone of contention from smith to smith. You wouldn't want to make an heirloom out of it and you'll end up sharpening it more than you would tool steel, though. The best thing about rebar is it's generally free is *usually* constant quality and if nothing else is great from practicing on. I've got 2 blades here that I've forged I need to finish made from it.

You can make quite a few stick tangs from that bunch!

Last edited:

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Mmmmmmmmmm , I left some stainless t24 as I thought this would be impossible to work with ( is it?) anyways I've a shead full of strange and exotic stuff ( cr@p) .cheers Stewart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE