12 years in employment.....need i say more!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
ARGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! :red::red::red::red::red:

Just venting, so no need to reply even....got nudged out of the flock and made final today.

does any one know where my C.V. is?
I best find it as i have 3 weeks and counting...

all I need is a goodjob
I know of a few people going through the same thing right now, so best of luck to all in these situations.

Oh go on then...once more....
ARGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! :red::red::red::red::red:

Mojo

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Good Luck mate - been out of work 5 months - First time in 35 years.
Send out CV's and no one replies.
5 interviews and I'm over qualified or too experienced.

Seems no bugger wants a 55 year old

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Good Luck mate - been out of work 5 months - First time in 35 years.
Send out CV's and no one replies.
5 interviews and I'm over qualified or too experienced.

Seems no bugger wants a 55 year old

That happened with my Dad when 15 or so years ago - so he became a voluntary advisor for business link - then got a job when a company he was advising realised all that experience really was a good thing. So it can be done - it's pretty soul destroying in the meantime though.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
not good mate, i'm in the same situation, been out for a month now, i set myself a target of a min of 5 cv's sent out a day + 5 cold calls to old contacts etc. Not a sniff in 4 weeks and agencies just don't even bother replying or returning phone calls.

i wish you the very best of luck and if you find a job, give me a shout ! :)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
When I was told I was being made redudndant I punted my CV to every agency I could find/think of.
Nothing,
Not a single thing.
Now I've got a new job, I'm getting two or three emails a week (sometimes more) for positions needing filling.
None of them matching what I was looking for/qualified in.
Waste of time.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Aye I'm getting my head around it now....looks like a long haul back to my current position whne I see you guy's having been out for 1month/5months, but i'm going to keep at it.

no sense in lying down and taking a pasting....head up, chest out NEVER SURRENDER! (unless they are bigger and have more friends)

Mojo

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
30+ years ago I had a bust-up with the American mob (I use the word 'mob' advisedly) who bought my firm because they were in fact a bunch of crooks. I think it nearly cost me my sanity. It took me two years to get them to court. The company owed me over fifty grand but they must have spent that much on lawyers defending the case. Three days before the case was due to be heard in the High Court, they put the UK company into liquidation and walked away. All I had to show for it was a nine grand legal bill of my own (even though I had Legal Aid) and visits from the local County Court bailiff because I couldn't pay the rates on my house. I decided then that I'd never be an employee again, and I've been self-employed ever since. I wouldn't have it any other way now.

It's always seemed to me that if you have the confidence and the determination, it's easier to make money than people think. Being self-employed isn't for everyone, but I'd have thought that people on BCUK would in general have a head start in self-sufficiency.

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Crikey...Insperational ged.
I used to make and sell charcoal just pureley to see how efficient I could design and make a retort kiln.....turns out not very without spending on some insulating materials...may be I could resurect that ;)

Robbi, I work in the automotive sector as a manufacturing engineer...yup not the most sustainable area at the moment.

now looking into pretty much any sector my qualifications will take me (mainly R&D test engineering)

Mojo

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Crikey...Insperational ged.
I used to make and sell charcoal just pureley to see how efficient I could design and make a retort kiln.....turns out not very without spending on some insulating materials...may be I could resurect that ;)

Robbi, I work in the automotive sector as a manufacturing engineer...yup not the most sustainable area at the moment.

now looking into pretty much any sector my qualifications will take me (mainly R&D test engineering)

Mojo

I heard on the radio there was a shortage of experienced engineers in the UK - so maybe you'll have some good luck?

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I wish you good luck Mojo in the job hunting. I have been out of work for a while to I have gone down the retraining route,managed to get enough qualifications to get on a Foundation Degree ecology and conservation management course. Oldest student on the course at 49.

Last edited:

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
nodd,
I like it...reinvention....more and more people are telling me that s the way.....

good on you for shaking things up and getting more qualifications!

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I had to leave my last job because of ill health, at the time I did not know it but I had a tumour in my head and that was the cause, me thinks.
So after 30 years working long hours for said firm, I ask for a reference and was told, we don't give references.
I'll be sixty in September and I'll find it hard to get another job.
Good luck to you guys looking.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I retired from the Air force after over 21 years then retired under Florida's retirement system after 13 years service; I was just getting too old to be able to work the odd shifts. Still even with 2 retirements coming in it's difficult (they don't even nearly match a working wage) I'm 54 so not eligible for Social Security for another 11 years (13 years to draw full rate) but too old for most employers to consider me for a third career. I'm thinking seriously about doing the self-employment thing also. Being my my own boss is certainly attractive but I really would like another job with retirement benefits also (apart from the government Social Security benefits)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The care sector is always in need of staff - I do relief work for Mencap...which basically means that I work when they cannot find permanent staff - I find I get enough to keep me happy, I can always claim that I am busy to refuse unpleasant shifts and I can say "no" if I want to any work that clashes with fun :)
The training is easy and useful in other walks of life - manual handling, first aid, food hygine etc
If you want permanent work there it is - unsocial hours, night work, rubbish pay but a worthwhile job that benifits real people not some mindless multinational.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE