112 emergency number

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bashabuddy

Nomad
Dec 15, 2008
bramley, Leeds
I can def be of help with this one. I currently work for the ambulance service actually dispatching ambulances 12hrs a day.
Recently the mobile phone providers have started using ROAMing calls. (recently as much as in last 3month). This facility enables your mobile to 'cherry pick' the strongest signal after your subscribed network. The only issue with this service is that the then recieving service doesnt automatically get your mobile number.

The triangulation of mobile phones also is done almost instantly. It will initally give us the transmitter the call was received from. Then if the signal is triangulated it gives us a percentage of probabilty of being in that area. again this information is lost if not using your normal provider. the message we get satates (1234) 567890 is 85% prob. to grid SE 12345,67891. This can then be made even more acurate with a phone call to the provider.

999/112 is exactly the same emergency operator, not a special dedicated mobile operator.

HTH

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
I can def be of help with this one. I currently work for the ambulance service actually dispatching ambulances 12hrs a day.
Recently the mobile phone providers have started using ROAMing calls. (recently as much as in last 3month). This facility enables your mobile to 'cherry pick' the strongest signal after your subscribed network. The only issue with this service is that the then recieving service doesnt automatically get your mobile number.

The triangulation of mobile phones also is done almost instantly. It will initally give us the transmitter the call was received from. Then if the signal is triangulated it gives us a percentage of probabilty of being in that area. again this information is lost if not using your normal provider. the message we get satates (1234) 567890 is 85% prob. to grid SE 12345,67891. This can then be made even more acurate with a phone call to the provider.

999/112 is exactly the same emergency operator, not a special dedicated mobile operator.

HTH

Agreed, I was present at a demo the other day, when you call you are instantly tracked.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Reminds me of an emergency phone i saw in wales. apparently it did have a full keypad on it until they clocked people phoning australia with it (free phone see?)
so they replaced the keys, it now only has "1, 2, 3" on there.
i'll post a pic tonight but it made me laugh because people who don't know the 112 number will be wondering how to dial the numbers to add up to 999 :D

MrPhil

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2009
East Coast of Kent, UK
Is there a separate number to call if you require the coastguard - or was there?

I only ask as I seem to remember something from the vague depths of my mind from when I was a Scout (some 20 years ago).

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
Is there a separate number to call if you require the coastguard - or was there?

I only ask as I seem to remember something from the vague depths of my mind from when I was a Scout (some 20 years ago).

Nope, 999/112, should task all emergency services, the police do mountain Rescue, not sure but think the coast guard are tasked separately via their own control room through 999/112.

Crowe

Nomad
Jan 18, 2008
Noewich. Now living in Limosin France
I met one of the designers of the 911E program in the US and was told 'all 3G network phones transmit precise coordinates when connected to 911 (the emergency no in the US) so the call can be tracked to GPS accuracy'
Interesting thread
Crowe

bashabuddy

Nomad
Dec 15, 2008
bramley, Leeds
Yea .. sometimes easier for us to ring MRT or Fell Rescue/Cave rescue etc. sort of cuts out the middle man. Police generally dont like to get involved with sprained ankles or fractures out in bushy land. Always seemed like going round the houses for a medical emergency! Especially as we usually deploy the Jellicopter too........

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Here in the U.S. phones started coming out several years ago with a GPS feature that you could either turn on or off as you choose.

It is my understanding that the new phones all have GPS feature. I think the ability to turn it off may have been done away with. Not sure.

The down side of this is more Big Brother. There have already been cases of the police tracking people in real time by monitoring their cell phone GPS. The U.S. law allows this If a court order has been obtained. But, unfortunately, some zealous police officers have been doing it without court orders (naturally). I'm afraid that as long as there is a terrorist threat, more and more of this type of activity will be seen. Just as you woke up one day and discovered you were on camera all day, we are waking up to discover that a real time map can be created of our every move. On the plus side of the ledger, some kidnappers and others have been put in prison because their cell phone GPS records showed that they had been exactly where they had been denying they had been.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Here in the U.S. phones started coming out several years ago with a GPS feature that you could either turn on or off as you choose.

It is my understanding that the new phones all have GPS feature. I think the ability to turn it off may have been done away with. Not sure.

The down side of this is more Big Brother. There have already been cases of the police tracking people in real time by monitoring their cell phone GPS. The U.S. law allows this If a court order has been obtained. But, unfortunately, some zealous police officers have been doing it without court orders (naturally). I'm afraid that as long as there is a terrorist threat, more and more of this type of activity will be seen. Just as you woke up one day and discovered you were on camera all day, we are waking up to discover that a real time map can be created of our every move. On the plus side of the ledger, some kidnappers and others have been put in prison because their cell phone GPS records showed that they had been exactly where they had been denying they had been.

Nothing wrong with being tracked if your doing no wrong?

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I met one of the designers of the 911E program in the US and was told 'all 3G network phones transmit precise coordinates when connected to 911 (the emergency no in the US) so the call can be tracked to GPS accuracy'
Interesting thread
Crowe

Totally different Government requirements in the US. (FCC rules must be adhered to for licensing). No such requirements are in place here.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
Reminds me of an emergency phone i saw in wales. apparently it did have a full keypad on it until they clocked people phoning australia with it (free phone see?)
so they replaced the keys, it now only has "1, 2, 3" on there.
i'll post a pic tonight but it made me laugh because people who don't know the 112 number will be wondering how to dial the numbers to add up to 999 :D

those 3 buttons are actually memory buttons and should have labels next to each one stating who they go to....

you should only need to push one button.

the most common options are
1 AA
2 RAC
3 999/112

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE