100% Wool Vs 85%Wool/15%Nylon?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
I was looking at getting some heavy wool pants and jacket and have an option between 100% wool and 85%wool/15%nylon. The 85% wool blend is obviously cheaper to make and does add to the durability of the product. But I was wondering if any of you think the extra 15% of wool really makes a noticable difference in terms of warmth? I know a lot of warmth comes from the "loft" factor, so I'm thinking the difference in warmth would be marginal at best. But I don't have any experience with wool products, 100% wool or 85% blends. Any suggestions?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I presume the 15% nylon is there to keep the wool from 'shaping' too much at kness and seat, other than that it's not enough to greatly affect the cost.

As for wear, I think they'd be pretty much the same, but I know that for live firing, musket, cannon or the like, I wouldn't be happy using the nylon version if I was making the costume. Around a fire I suspect the nylon one might burn little charred holes but I doubt the fabric would flare up.

Addyb is really up on this stuff, hopefully he'll be along soon :D

cheers,
Toddy

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I've got some wool mix stuff (mostly cycling jerseys) and I can't tell them comfortwise from the pure merino ones, they may stink sooner though. Not sure about the lessened fire retardance, as Toddy says you may get a few burn holes.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
It shouldn't make much of a difference. My smoking jacket is an M1951 korean war vintage wool shirt/jacket. I don't have any burn holes yet and it keeps me from shiving outside in the dead of a Canadian winter. :D

Adam

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
The cost is ofetn a big difference. Sometimes as much as double.
What I can't understand is that at a time when wool prices are so low it is sometimes barely worth farmers selling them it is still cheaper to make plastic clothes. Is it all processing cost or is it because the wool is in Britain and the plastic fleece factory is in China :confused:

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Some of my heavy weight wool-blend clothes pill rather badly, but honestly it makes no difference to either the way it feels on the skin or how warm it feels. However, I also believe it takes a lot of wearing before it shows and I've been wearing one pair of Woolrich wool pants for about thirty years now (and I've only had to have them altered once). I bought my first pair of Canadian BD trousers while in was in the army around 1966 and they have all been pure (well, 100%) wool. I used to wear them a lot more than I do now and evidently lived a life that was harder on clothes compared to now. But anyhow, they tended to wear out in the seat after about six years.

The hard finish wool serge like US Army wool pants and some surplus French trousers I have wear rather better but they are both thinner.

But we don't have winters like we used to.

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
It shouldn't make much of a difference. My smoking jacket is an M1951 korean war vintage wool shirt/jacket. I don't have any burn holes yet and it keeps me from shiving outside in the dead of a Canadian winter. :D

Adam

I'm really keen on picking one of these up. Most of them are in blends of 15%nylon/85% wool. I heard some are actually 100% .....if only I can find one. The color looks great too and looks to be a good Swanndri substitute for someone on a tight budget.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE