10 days in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I've packed my bags - two rucksacks, three food bags, a loue and a lavuu. I've read the weather forecast, I've sharpened my knives, I've found the spare groundsheet, I've compressed my sleeping quilt, mat and extra blanket, and pillow, I've debated the merits of various stoves (taking an Esbit and a Yukon firebox), I've worked out how to stop things from eating my dinner (not theirs, involves rope, aluminium foil, a Canvas bag and a cake tin), I've negotiated with my husband to drop me at the wood, I've limited my self to two small books, I've got the things on the kit list, tick tick tick, I've printed out a map of how to get there, I've found my mini wellies and poncho. I've remembered to pack the extra tent pegs, just in case. I've decided not to care if I get really smelly and muddy - though have got to go to something posh ish straight from the final day in 10 days time. I have packed my posh bivi in case it's really wet.

So 10 days in the woods at a native skills event - woo-hoo. I'm looking forwards to seeing what I don't need!

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Sounds like my type of fun too, have you got your toilet kit?

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Aargh toilet kit! Have now got trowel, biodegradable loo roll, and flourescent/luminous tape ribbon - really useful at night to help you find the edges of the lat pit - thus speaks the voice of experience!

I'm now so over excited I'm watching an old time team episode with John Lord and much Flint knapping. Have also charged the battery for the camera.. There will be photos!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Sounds like an adventure Lizz... hope you're taking my book with you ;)

Looking at the weather, doubt I'll be out this weekend in the hammock, so I think its a weekend for a good long walk. Walking in the rain... my kind of fun!

Good luck with the journey and I look forward to seeing your piccies!

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
I found it really useful to make a check-list of all the items I'd need for a day out walking, a weekend away or a week or more camping. I don't necessarily take the same things every time but at least, by having a written list, it prompts me as to what I have, and I seldom leave something important behind.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
It was totally ace! I'm now back for three days then off for a weekend wood camp and then it's the Bushmoot . All my gear is liberally distributed over the 'dining room'. I weathered two massive storms in my loue with my gear stored in a polish army laavu. I made fish spears, arrows and arrowheads, spoons, cordage, I went tracking, stalking, and wild cooking, and something bad happened to a couple of previously trapped squirrels, I improved my knife skills, built and slept in a debris shelter, practised stick throwing, night walking, wild plant identifying and all kinds of earth living. Pheww. There will be pictures once I work out various tech things.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Camera tick, iPad tick, pictures from camera onto iPad? no f***ing idea, it's been a bit of a trial! Can you tell?

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I'm taking the same sodding camera to the Bushmoot - I love it really, but I cannot work out what to do about the pictures and the iPad. This is either going to involve new tech, something expensive or probably both. Bother.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I insist you come and visit us at Dingly Dell at the Moot and tell us more - and natter about Orkney!
Look for us under the flags...
122 (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).jpg

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Aye aye cap'n. I'll be the one wearing the inappropriately bright or pastel colours. Do you know how hard it is to find outdoor clothes for women that aren't pink, lilac or baby blue? Or turquoise? And that have a bit of bag rather than over hug?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Aye aye cap'n. I'll be the one wearing the inappropriately bright or pastel colours. Do you know how hard it is to find outdoor clothes for women that aren't pink, lilac or baby blue? Or turquoise? And that have a bit of bag rather than over hug?

PINK!? Streng Verboten!!!!!
You could always make your own clothing and gear ... I do

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE