10,000 B.C. Reality Show

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
It wasn't as bad as I was expecting
Did they have any skills? Not really. Is it set up as some sort of pseudo social experiment as a cover for us to laugh at people who are being pushed beyond their normal limits? Yep.
But they started a bow drill fire, skinned a deer with flint tools, dug a communal toilet, gathered fire wood, dug up burdock root with sticks. I wasn't sure we'd see any of that, often these things are just the bickering and wow isn't it extreme. Yep they made loads of mistakes, but with their lack of experience in that situation that's probably to be expected. Hopefully as the series continues we'll see more of the bushcraft and less of the camp politics and interceptions, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I wonder if the "Pack Leader" The Guy with Archer down as his occupation is as good as he's making out to be.
Last night he let it out the Bag that he wasn't just a Archer but that he had spent 6 month in the Jungle, 6 months in the desert, the Antarctic, the Arctic, the Swamps, just about everywhere on earth...didn't quite catch what he was doing there, but it should be interesting as he has now put himself in the position of survival Expert and Camp Commandant...lets see shall we.

Though he could be a Plant like they had on BG The Island.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Next time, Drop the Scots Accent, Act all fick about bushcraft and Neanderfal man. make out you're a Manager. pretend to be Gay..TV Producers do like a gay guy chucked into the mix. The more effeminate the better. nothing makes good TV for ratings than a Man perfecting his mince, and they do like those double entendres..ooh err Matron.

This is Not a Homophobic, racist Rant, It's a simple knowledgeable observation. or advice on how to win a slot on a reality show for dummies if you like.

After seeing the mess they made of that series I have deliberately avoided the rest in spite of being approached for a couple of them.

First time around I actually had some hope that they were interested in making a quality program. I've realised since that I was a little naive.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
" All that is left is a few antlers which no animal can eat. "
Actually, deer chew on cast antlers for the calcium - not technically eating, but given that thousands upon thounds of antlers are cast every year, where do the ones we don't find go?

Lol.....please see Joe's post No.62 below, second sentence ;)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We get about 1/2" to 1" of litter-fall per year. Sheds get buried fairly quickly.
However, small rodents such as mice and voles with ever growing inscisors don't forget where they are.
Their gnawing evidence are the many pairs of parallel grooves in the antler.
Plus as pointed out, sheds represent a massive stockpile of dietary mineral.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I haven't been active on the site for a year or so. But I am still very sympathetic to its general aims and philosophy.

I've just watched the first episode and then skimmed through this thread.

Main thing that strikes me is the apparent lack of awareness of folk on the site of how most people out there have absolutely no idea of how much of modern life they take for granted; and how fragile it really is.

Just think of the outcry when houses are without water or electricity for a few days.

If the programme makes only a few people realise that (and maybe also think a little about the poor sods in refugee camps all over the world*) then in my view the programme will have served a useful purpose.

*and don't forget that refugees are in a similar position to the people in the programme - relatively suddenly plonked down in a strange environment with minimal training and support.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I haven't been active on the site for a year or so. But I am still very sympathetic to its general aims and philosophy.

I've just watched the first episode and then skimmed through this thread.

Main thing that strikes me is the apparent lack of awareness of folk on the site of how most people out there have absolutely no idea of how much of modern life they take for granted; and how fragile it really is.

Just think of the outcry when houses are without water or electricity for a few days.

If the programme makes only a few people realise that (and maybe also think a little about the poor sods in refugee camps all over the world*) then in my view the programme will have served a useful purpose.

*and don't forget that refugees are in a similar position to the people in the programme - relatively suddenly plonked down in a strange environment with minimal training and support.

Then why call the programme 10.000 bc, and not Modern man without his trappings. They are trying to sell this as experimental archeology, when in reality it is gladiatorial t.v aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Thought I would cook some soup on a wooden rocket stove ie. drill big hole down, drill big hole in side and cook on flames coming up the chimmey. Going well until the side away from me burned through and the pot tipped off into the garden. "*&%&(%%$" it, I am off in to cook indoors. Right now I have a bit more understanding for poor sods on the telly! Best laid plans and all that

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Then why call the programme 10.000 bc, and not Modern man without his trappings. They are trying to sell this as experimental archeology, when in reality it is gladiatorial t.v aimed at the lowest common denominator.

And sadly the lowest denominator is becoming more common, aided and abetted by not just tv producers but by magazine editors too. ( I wrote an article on mortice and tenon joints and was told "It is too technical for our readership, can you dumb it down a bit".....it, the PDF, has been downloaded over 5000 times from a woodwork forum since and had some nice feedback too.) It seems having a degree in media studies or some such requires zero common sense or even a sense of pride in ones work, very sad.

Rob.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
It seems having a degree in media studies or some such requires zero common sense or even a sense of pride in ones work, very sad.

Rob.
Or those with the Degrees in media studies believe the rest of us non university attendees are as thick as two short planks. Just because THEY dont understand it, doesn't mean the rest of us dont either.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"If the programme makes only a few people realise that (and maybe also think a little about the poor sods in refugee camps all over the world*) then in my view the programme will have served a useful purpose."
I think that's a BIG "if", and nowhere in the programmers aims - IMHO they are only interested in "reality" TV = viewer numbers.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Why does anybody here feel that they are entitled to exactly the programme they want, up to their high standards of course. A programme may disappoint for many reasons, so don't watch it.

Living in the Past participants erected buildings, lived in them for an extended period. Learnt how to plough and cultivate, built a cart and developed many other crafts relevant to the historical period. OK they grew too much of one crop but in a real IA situation that could have been traded. I know Butser's
received opinion is that there were major flaws but the state of knowledge in the seventies was too limited to be as definitive as the late Peter Reynolds appeared to be. Overall it was a good effort.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
not for me didnt enjoy it, wish they had a bit more training than they had and then we would see a greater depth of some sort of life 10,000 year ago

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
If you regard it as trash then why are you watching it?

Me, I can get over 50 70s Anime series involving Giant Robots on youtube and the like...Now, thats `real` trash, but its what I want, Im not complaining, and I dont need a telly licence to go see it.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
J
Yep - just compare current TV with each of the previous decades for, eg: reality shows, violence, sex, nastiness, as opposed to documentaries, serious drama, educational. Equally, compare politicians' lies, broken promises, u-turns etc. And/or check out the fact that recently, the government enables ministers to DISREGARD Acts of parliament, and USA rendition-assistance through a Scottish - oyes, things are a LOT worse.
You're right about Plato - he was very concerned about "teen misbehaviour".

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"Then why call the programme 10.000 bc, and not Modern man without his trappings. They are trying to sell this as experimental archeology, when in reality it is gladiatorial t.v aimed at the lowest common denominator."
Spot on!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE