10,000 B.C. Reality Show

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
20 people get to spend 3 months living as hunter gatherers from the Mesolithic period in darkest forests of Bulgaria...

Should be interesting :)

Link here

[video=youtube;fpIUVeYkNxY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpIUVeYkNxY[/video]

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Blooming heck, but the wardrobe mistress was really channeling her 1 millionBC, wasn't she ? :rolleyes:
What a mess.

Two days with a survival expert ? why didn't they just film survival experts who at least have background knowledge ?….oh, wait, those guys don't look good in the fur bikinis, and the female survival experts are too damned smart to get roped into tv 'reality' mince.
We know the original human garment is a string belt, and from that men wore a loin cloth….not a loin cloth in sight there, just skin kilts, and what are they wearing on their feet ?

A real shame, it could have been really good….like the Iron Age house thing (and BR and JF, stop thinking of poor Ruth making her fur bikini :D )

M

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...like the Iron Age house thing..."

Oddly enough I watched the trailer and was thinking about the Iron Age House. TV these days is more about showing people falling apart because they are miserable or trying to catch (or create) conflict in the group.

A bunch of hands on archeologists and woodsmen would make for a better program, it just wouldn't get the funding. :(

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A bunch of hands on archeologists and woodsmen would make for a better program, it just wouldn't get the funding. :(

It wouldn't get the viewers either. There are a lot of mean spirited people that love so called reality shows, be they the Big Brother, Jeremy Kyle or Judge Judy. Its the same formula, set people up to fight for entertainment. Its the modern equivalent of badger baiting or gladiator games, cheap, nasty and appealing to the basest of instincts. That such shows are popular tells me a lot about our so called modern caring society :(.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
It wouldn't get the viewers either. There are a lot of mean spirited people that love so called reality shows, be they the Big Brother, Jeremy Kyle or Judge Judy. Its the same formula, set people up to fight for entertainment. Its the modern equivalent of badger baiting or gladiator games, cheap, nasty and appealing to the basest of instincts. That such shows are popular tells me a lot about our so called modern caring society :(.
Used to be only a penny to see the lunatics in Bedlam, I think poking them with a stick cost extra. Humanity has got better

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Not too confident it'll be that good.

Finished watching NatGeo The Pioneers series last week, after all the participants quit. Was supposed to be a 3 month experiment, not sure if they even made it to 3 weeks.

Firstly they starting making their sod house on a flood plain... which flooded and taking a good deal of their belongings with it.
And after some 'bartering' with local Native Americans, and receiving a couple of teepees, promptly managed to send them up in flames.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Quite possibly common experiences of Pioneers along with dysentery, typhoid, boring food and being driven off by cattle ranchers.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
vegetarian: very old plains indian word for "poor hunter."

Expect to buy another side of 2yr old bison (like the last 12+ years,) sometime in the next 6 weeks.
I'll get the butchering done by a professional.
However, I would love to watch some flint knappers field dress the animal (about 2,000lbs)
and quarter it. Then carry the quarters (maybe 180- 250-lbs each) back to the cold shed.

Next, you and your tribe run a small herd over a buffalo jump. Go around spearing the cripples.
Now, you have 20-40 bison to deal with before the meat spoils.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
vegetarian: very old plains indian word for "poor hunter."

Expect to buy another side of 2yr old bison (like the last 12+ years,) sometime in the next 6 weeks.
I'll get the butchering done by a professional.
However, I would love to watch some flint knappers field dress the animal (about 2,000lbs)
and quarter it. Then carry the quarters (maybe 180- 250-lbs each) back to the cold shed.

Next, you and your tribe run a small herd over a buffalo jump. Go around spearing the cripples.
Now, you have 20-40 bison to deal with before the meat spoils.
Despite the claims of some sort of primitive reverence for nature it is and was quite common for hunters to kill as much as they could regardless of being able to use the meat. However, given enough meat the dead animals might be more valued for hide, bone and horn

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Yes but we are not living in the "mesolithic" nobody is, I am not so sure anybody did. So called mesolithic man to his wife...... Look here me duck what is all this mesolithic then? T'wern't around in me dad's time, you reckon all this fancy modern stuff is gonna make things any better? Go to and sort me breakfast out, I don't have any time for any of this. Where's me bacon and eggs.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Very simple and very straight forward. There's no idle "reverence for nature". Nature provides. Period.
Bison were and still are multipurpose animals. Not a dang thing was ever wasted.
Any shallow research into the ways and means of the plains native peoples will explain that.
Try mesolithing living.

Get your sweet buns over here. I can stand you up in front of the meanest, nastiest herbivore on earth.
A whole freakin' herd of them. I expect you to kill and butcher one of them, a 2 yr old (can you pick that out?),
without the rest of them coming over to meet you and greet you and stomp and gore you to death.

I'll be in the kitchen. The most surprising, cut-it-with-a-fork-tender meat that you have ever had.
You have to learn to cook differently. What white-faced range maggots can never taste like.
Per 100g cooked meat, beef is 11g, chicken is 8g, bison is 2.

Actually, the real truth of the matter is that you have 6 weeks to do what I want doing.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Interesting that you seem never to have heard of "Potlatch" ceremonies, for example where conspicuous consumption and waste was a big part. But then if you are in British Columbia you must have.

Did Buffalo leaps exist? If they did then the numbers killed could not have been calculated closely so therefore excess animal, rotting, corpses must have resulted sometimes. I did mention the use of the bison bits so, yes, I am aware of the use of everything except the moo.

Bit surprised by the apparent antagonism in your post but perhaps that is just your way of putting things. I actually do think I could roughly distinguish a two year-old. The Bush Farm Bison Centre is a very interesting place to visit in Wiltshire.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Incidentally Hunters at the margin: Native People and Wildlife Conservation in the Northwest Territories by John Sandlos appears to be an interesting book on the conflicts between native hunters and conservationists. [h=1][/h]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE