10,000 B.C. Reality Show

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
All seems a bit strange to me. Not sure why the lass didn't complain at the time. Why would she continue sleeping next to someone who was groping her? She also seemed fairly relaxed about the whole thing and allowed herself a smirk when Paul was ejected from the camp. Maybe there were other factors at play?

Whatever the situation with Paul, he seemed like the last hope for a hunting result. Now it's simply a matter of eeking out the food which has been supplied until they're allowed to leave. I suspect the production company are regretting that they didn't put more capable folk on the show or provide adequate training before the main event. It could've even been part of the programme! Maybe they thought it would be easy?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
If I was a primitive Id lke to live by the coast.

My beach has tons of mussels, also some cockles, and much seaweed. (I like seaweed.) then theres limpets and winkles. People fish for bass there though I expect theres other fish too.

Dont know much about the land plants (except samphire) but I could learn. You would have to be very wilful to go hungry there even if you knew practicaly nothing. (as I do.)

I have no doubt there are better beaches (such as the ones on the Pacific gyre which deliver half bottles of whisky) but this is mine.

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
when this show was first advertised, i thought what a brilliant show it will be. can modern man really do it? is it really that hard? etc etc. From the very first show I thought 'these people are going to the slaughter' minimal to no prior training, a group of unorganised, selfish individuals. one by one they shut down, forms cliques and bicker. admittedly, there was a good spectrum of modern society, as its worst almost. lazy people, argumentative people, natural leaders surrounded by orators who ran rough shod over them and more capable members. i think that only paul was prepared to do it properly, eveyone else was along for the ride. i understand pauls frustration at other members just eeking everything out and suffering. not once have i seen people working together properly, for the benefit of others. simple tasks are left to the workers, while others just watch them. the whole series left me rather frustrated tbh. but hey ho, the producers wont please everyone. (i get that that wasnt the main aim of the program!) the group dynamics were off from the start. if i were there, i probably would of got so annoyed at others that i would of gone off by myself. (i will await the back lash from that statement)

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Well, they've asked for volunteers for a second attempt. Maybe they'll be more open to those with half an idea of what's required? We shall see. Anyone going for it?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Funnily enough Son1 was here today, and he reckons the only other place he'd happily live would be New Zealand :)
Another Island culture with rich ecodiversity.

Seriously though, it's true about our home isles. Just too many people these days :sigh:

M

As it happens Mary, one of my nephews moved to NZ several years ago, (mental health nurse like his partner and aunt) and they love it, his argument is that if we want to see him then fly out, he ain't coming back to the UK...when he sets a wedding date we will be there :)

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
APPLIED. lets see if an outdoors instructor, remote environment medic, who is also a qualified Tracker is 'suitable'.....
We shall see. I do hope they recognise that they'd have a better show if people tried to make it work rather than simply ration their food to a known end date. Personally, I'd rather fail trying than simply hunkering down for the duration.

BTW, how do you become qualified as a tracker?

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
At the end of this sort of exercise the group should be prepared to continue, both practically and mentally, failure otherwise. By the end they should have had a complete mental or drawn map of the area and its resources.

Difficult to tell but they seemed to huddle passively in their skins most of the time. Hunter-gatherers may only work twenty hours a week but the time when they are working they are hard at it. After 50 days the pattern of wildlife movements should have been clear, allowing hunting to at least have a chance of success.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've just finished reading "The Martian" by Andy Weir. Highly recommended reading. It runs the entire gamut from homestead to bushcraft and beyond with great scientific accuracy.
Crew of 6 land on Mars, great start. Massive sandstorm, one crew-mate is dead, the exit vehicle is about to be wrecked in the storm so the 5 alive take off for Earth.
But, #6 is very much alive. Now what?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
It was odd they knew how to make those fish traps but not other items.

Like a travois seems a good like a good idea when having to gather firewood regularly.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
They need a full on Hunter, someone who is prepared to sit it out at dawn and dusk. Dig a few Pits on the animal tracks, but remember to tell the village idiot where they are.

Set up a small camp on the lake and fish the hell out of it 24 hours a day. People can take turns at this.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
They need a full on Hunter, someone who is prepared to sit it out at dawn and dusk. Dig a few Pits on the animal tracks, but remember to tell the village idiot where they are.

Set up a small camp on the lake and fish the hell out of it 24 hours a day. People can take turns at this.
Yes, I wondered why they didn't set up a second camp at the lake. They needed to learn what worked but the two hour walk each way greatly cut down the opportunities for experimentation.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Yes, I wondered why they didn't set up a second camp at the lake. They needed to learn what worked but the two hour walk each way greatly cut down the opportunities for experimentation.
My only guess would be Midges or Mosquito's, Water = Midges though by the looks of the first few weeks before it got cold they were bitten daft anyway, a few hundred more wouldn't have made much of a difference.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE