£10 or £50 upwards?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
woodthings-2.jpg

Being a tight fisted Jock and not influenced by expensive labels and Bushcraft kit I thought I would show what the inexpensive Mora knife and spoon tool can achieve, having taken these tools through their paces over the years with many different tasks, splitting wood, gutting fish, gralloching deer, feather sticks, carving and many other things.

Conclusion - the cheap and cheerful Mora range wins the day when it comes to Bushcraft tasks - in my opinion.

PS. Why do some people refer to this as a training knife :confused:

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Thats excellent stuff there patrick :)

It's for people in training to part with there money once they get bamboozled into thinking it's a training knife :lmao:

I have a mora clipper, and i make knives up from mora blades, excellent stuff.

Mark

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Lovely work! I too am a big fan of these knives for whittling. Have you tried the slightly longer and pointier Frosts sloyd 106? I find it's brilliant for getting in those tight corners and also costs about a tenner.

I think people pay more for much bigger bushcraft knives if they want to do more rough work with it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:notworthy That's an impressive selection of craftings :D

I know you tease me about my knifeage (cough, kit junkie ! :rolleyes: ) but seriously, I do like the little Mora Classic, and it gets a lot of use.

I think they call it a training knife because it's the first guardless knife a youngster is given and is taught to use properly.

I like the reassurance of using a knife that has a full handle though when doing really heavy stuff......I know it's not necessary, but it's just a feeling of a little more substance to the knife. Tanged knives are very good, have a very long provenance, but it's an individualism thing....besides......I like good tools, and my knives are pretty :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Awesome craft skills as ever....what many of us aspire to but don't achieve, whatever the tools. Skill is the issue here IMHO :)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Fantastic work there Patrick!:You_Rock_

The 3" version of that Mora is one of my favourites for carving at the moment.

I must get out and practice to get up to your standard though!

Dave

PS Toddy - I like pretty knives too!

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
patrick
That is a lot of very nice work. :You_Rock_

The Mora range of knives are very good value for money. U have just borrowed a sloyd 120 49 mm knife wich I loved using. I also own a clipper which is good.

I also like preyty knives but I prefer stcik tangs unlike the majority of the members of this site as far as I can tell. I do not own a full tang (except in th kitchen).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE