It's too hot.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Physiologically? Anything much above 35C and it's hard for humans to thermoregulate, Normally, it happens with regular and consistent body heat loss.
Same thing happens at night above +25C. Humans are heavily insulated by lying on the bed. There is some method to the madness of a hammock indoors with a mosquito bar.
A 12" oscillating fan on the floor is quite effective.
A few weeks of +35C and I'll freeze to death at +25C.

Dig out a map of Canada, look in the far northwest for Dawson City in Yukon. I have family there, reporting +40C today.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's 18.8˚C, outside, here, right now at 4.30 am.
It's too hot to sleep.
The temperature in the house is 23.7˚C
We don't even keep it at that in the depths of Winter with the central heating on.

I wish there were a breeze, but even dawn is remarkably still, and pretty quiet too. The birds don't seem to be much inclined to chirp out either.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
A little off topic but the smoke from the wildfires in the west of the USA have reached the East & the air quality in NYC has been clasified as 'unhealthy'
At least most of us don't have to put up with extremes...............................yet.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
. I believe the planet to be overwhelmed by us ripping its guts out and burning them, making plastic, making fumes, dumping the waste into the rivers and seas etc.
Indeed, this new man-made weather is a lot less dependable than the previous stuff.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Stood outside the site entrance now, waiting to get on and wishing we could just get started earlier so we miss some of the afternoon heat.
It's not that its really hot thats the issue, its that most workplaces in the uk stick rigidly to the same working hours when its hot when other countries change them round so they avoid the heat.
It also depends a lot of the level of activity your expecting to keep up.

Reactions: FerlasDave

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I suspect that your UK buildings are not built for or managed for heat transfer. Sloppy at the very best. I do not believe that Canadian designs are a whole hell of a lot better. If anything, heat retention is a big deal for our winters.

Chilly nights and the house inside is hot? Where's the fan? Why is it not pumping cool outside air into the house? Vent by an open upstairs window. Heat rises.
I have two 21" box fans. I can have one pumping in at the south end and the other at the north end of the house pumping out.

But like I've said, live and work on the floor. Any thermometer can show you why.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We don't do 'air conditioning' in our homes for the most part. To cool down we open a window both back and front and it draws a through draught. We're rarely hot enough long enough to need anything else.

Son2 is working from home, and he does have a fan in his room but (unless prepared to cough up the price of something like the Dyson one that Son1 bought, and I'm not for the few days I'd use it) the noise of the fan disturbs a lot of folks at night.
It's a broken night's sleep either way.
It's only for a couple of weeks a year so we just thole the heat.

It's folks like Demographic who have it hardest I think. They're trying to sleep in the heat and then they're expected to work hard in the worst of the heat during the day too.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I don't know what the outside temp was here yesterday. The office I am in isn't well cooled, but it is consistently just on the too warm side of comfortable for me in short sleeves. Anyway, I WISH my house was as cool as Toddy's at night. With windows open back and front, I can't get it below 25C upstairs even with an 18" fan. There is no air movement outside. Came out of work yesterday and there was a good breeze going, drove 8 miles home, no breeze. Did have some fairly heavy rain.

Went into the office today and found that the rain got in through the roof and flooded the office, so now back home trying to work. Not looking forward to this afternoon when the sun moves and heats the room I am in, even with windows closed and blinds down.

Havne't started sleeping outside yet. Was considering it. It allows for down stairs windows to be left open and better vent the house over night.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought a small spray bottle in the poundstore. Meant for misting plants or too dry cloth for ironing.
I fill it with plain water and mist myself down with it. Face and neck and arms and lower legs, and it's blissfully cool as the mist evaporates from my skin :)

Danqrl

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2021
Derbyshire
I broke out my fresnel lens yesterday to try some fire lighting (in my fire pit) with the sun, great opportunity to practice that right now guys. After watching a video on youtube I used the sun and the fresnel lens on some coffee grounds to get an ember going.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@Klenchblaize

20 - 30' offshore and there's no midgies :)

Seriously, it's very much a plus point for crannogs.

Loch, river, sea...offshore's generally insect free.
Right enough, we don't really have a mosquito problem.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We've moved from a mid terraced house to a detached, elevated bungalow. It's a lot hotter house. 1900 house read cool in hot weather. 1972 house is hot in hot summer. Open windows? One small one in the front of lounge/ dining room, two small ones at the back. We're on the bottom of a hill. Very little breeze through the house. We open front and back doors, a little draught through but still not nice. Cooler outside. Top of the garden under the trees is cooler. Only I sweat buckets when working up there. I guess the humidity is higher under the trees.

We're not made for hot weather, simple fact. I'm partly of Scandinavian decent, I wonder if that's why I cope better in colder weather than what we have now.

Got into work. The heat when you open the doors is like an oven. Monday heating was put on over night by some idiot. This morning no heating but it still felt like an oven.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
9AM +17C outside with a white sky and very little breeze. Not too stinky. +21C in the bedroom with a 6" fan on a timer, +23C in the kitchen. Big 48" ceiling fans are off. Big T'storm risk this afternoon. The sky is more likely to fall down.

State of Emergency declared yesterday. Finally. It means more access to more assistance (armed forces personnel, etc) . Whole towns on the move, some fires a km from houses. The water bomber pilots are sure getting their hours these days.

The red stuff you may see in some pictures is Phos-Check. Not only is it a fire retardant but it's also a fertilizer. The mixing machines and pumps at the airports are powered by big fat Chev V8 engines.

My village is organized to open a "comfort center" for evacuees in about 30 minutes when needed. Any and all sorts of livestock and pets can be looked after. Lizards, Guinea pigs, sheep, goats, cats & dogs, etc. Even pastures for horses. Done it before, do it again.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I broke out my fresnel lens yesterday to try some fire lighting (in my fire pit) with the sun, great opportunity to practice that right now guys. After watching a video on youtube I used the sun and the fresnel lens on some coffee grounds to get an ember going.
Coalcracker?

Reactions: Danqrl

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
I just washed some clothes and put them out to dry. Apart from a t-shirt which I put on wet. Bliss … just keep wetting it every hour and you’ll be super cool !

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE