Water purification. An idiots guide please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Ok so background first

I'm heading to Finland in May / June for a week.

Research on the net suggests that the water in this part of the world (Artic Hiking Centre) is potable and safe to drink.

I'm sure it is but as I'm not going to risk it I need some advice on water purification.

In the sack will be a millbank bag, water purification tablets from an Army issue rat pack and i will have the facility to keep water to a rolling boil.

Now the braces and belt approach would be obviously to combine all three procedures for water purification but realistically what is the general consensous of opinion on what I can get away with doing?

Many thanks,

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Personally mate, I wouldnt worry about the milbank bag. Just boil the water for a couple of minuets then pop in 1 tab per litre once the water has cooled to be sure. The only other thing you might want to look into is a lightweight filter? But for the price and the location you will be in, I doubt its necessary. :)

HTH

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'd take a survival straw/tabs or a filter bottle just for peace of mind when drinking without boiling. Murphys law dictates that if you don't take anything, you will find the only dirty water source in Finland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE