Purifying water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I've developed a habit of carrying a few water purifying tablets in my possibles pouch plus two or three in my wallet for those occasions when boiling is not convenient. I carry a millbank bag and a pump purifier in my pack on long trips and overnighters, but when out for a stroll I like have a few tablets in my pocket to add to my water bottle when I refill it from a mountain stream. I find that I often need to drink more than the one litre I'm prepared to carry so I need some purification system for refills.

When checking over my kit the other day I found the tablets I carry are well past their sell by date. On going to buy a new supply at a well-known high street camping shop, I found that they only offered one brand at a very high price and began to think about alternatives. My wife has an iodine intolerance and I don't like the taste much anyway so I have always used chlorine based tablets. I recall that when we used to live in the tropics, we used to purify our drinking water by adding a drop or two of ordinary household bleach to a litre of suspect water. I'm thinking about carring a small dropper bottle of chlorine in the pouch, although I worry about leakage, but can't think of a substitute for tablets in the wallet.

Does anyone know of cheap source of tablets? What system of water purification do you use for short trips?

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I use a sawyer mini for all trips. i have a tube system that screws on to any pop bottle so generally use a 1.5 litre coke bottle as my reservoir as it fits my side pocket nicely. Cost me £16 delivered from amazon in america. Soon pays for itself compared to tablets

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I use a sawyer mini for all trips. i have a tube system that screws on to any pop bottle so generally use a 1.5 litre coke bottle as my reservoir as it fits my side pocket nicely. Cost me £16 delivered from amazon in america. Soon pays for itself compared to tablets

What he said :). I got one just after Christmas, yet to test it on any really filthy water but so far its great a piece of kit. I use mine with a 2l Platypus bladder the whole system rolls up into a small stuff sack and weighs next to nothing.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
you can buy ''Oasis water purification tablets'' from £1.15 up for a pack of ten on ebay, i haven't used them myself so can't comment on using them, i believe they are chlorine based but i wouild check on that yourself as i'm not 100% posiitve. Apparently they are used by the military according to listings.

Jul 14, 2014
Leeds
I just bought one of the sawyer mini filters as I find the tablets (although cheap) can be too much hassle when I'm in a rush. I imagine the tablets you're referring to will be Chlorine based, so you'd probably need neutraliser tablets to remove the unpleasant taste. Have you looked at the Chlorine Dioxide drops you can get? They're apparently more effective than tablets and easier to use.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
You could use potassium permanganate, it works well (if you don't mind purple water) and is cheap as chips. You could get a little tub from the chemist for a couple of quid and then use one or two of those little plastic sachets that screws and bits from flat pack furniture etc come in, to slip some into your wallet or possibles pouch.

The added bonus is, as I'm sure you will know, it can be used neat as an anti fungal and anti bacterial treatment. Used as a very effective marker on snow if you need help and mixed with a little sugar and ground with the end of a stick....it'll light your fire too. Blooming useful stuff as it goes :)

Hope that help,

Bam. :)

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I use the Lifesaver Bottle for all freshwater filtering, fill pump drink

There is a charity selling un-issued ex Nato stock on ebay for £65

[video=youtube;6w4xo-SKiQU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w4xo-SKiQU#t=10[/video]

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Worth it's weight, i'd actually never once thought about it's weight until you said but i just reached over and went to pick mine up at arms length and made an old man noise.

I just weighed it including shoulder strap and the 100ml water inside (you do not store them dry) and it is 785 grams, i must be getting old as it felt heavier than that to me at arms length

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE