WARNING:Graphic Content- Danger of Chinese Lanterns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SoggyBiscuit

Jul 30, 2014
Scotland
I've never been a fan of these things purely because of the litter issue but had no idea they could be so dangerous to wildlife. Will be sharing this with friends and family Jonathan. Cheers!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've seen loads of these over heathlands, usually the wire skeleton, and sometimes surrounded by a few metres of charred heather. Luckily none of those ever caught. I've only seen one animal trapped in one and that was a small Roe buck. But a huge number of naturalists I work with have told me of first hand accounts of the bizaare ways in which they cause death and destruction. I think that picture says it all and is powerful enough to convey the message without an explanation.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Farmers have been against these things for years, pretty sure there was an article on Countryfile a while back too. Farmers losing stock or crops is a less emotive issue for much of our pre-packed food buying public so making the wildlife issue bigger may get them to think twice before lighting one up.

Rob

Gimli

Jun 2, 2014
United Kingdom
Litter hazard, fire hazard now wildlife hazard.....these things really need to be banned

I'll add an aviation risk to that too, they are a nightmare when flying at night. All you see is an orange light and you have no concept of what it is, how big it is, how far away it is or the direction of travel.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
About the only way you could make these things more dangerous is to strap explosives to them as well.
As said above should be classes as littering if not arson.

allrightscud

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2013
Central Belt, Scotland
The national farmers union had started a campaign a few years ago to have them banned. A lot of livestock get injured with the wire left over not to mention the inherent fire risk. Most other European countries have already banned them. There was a e petition going around. In any other situation setting fire to something and sending it over some ones property would be illegal It’s a totally irresponsible folly for a few seconds entertainment.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Dreadful things, which is a shame because they seem so harmless on the face of it but cause so many problems.
I nearly had a bit of an incident when stupidly,whilst drunk, a few years ago I decided to relaunch some using my own propulsion method. I won't go into details but it nearly set fire to a neighbours flat roof, needless to say I haven't touched them since.
I think Jonathan's picture is evidence enough for a ban on them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE