Vegetarian Stew Recipes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Hi there guys,

I'm a ware many of you are avid carnivores, but I was hoping you might be able to turn your camp cooking expertise to suggesting a good, wholesome, tasty stew I can make on the trail without any meat. I'd be fine with Quorn or soy, or just plain old vegetables. I have a single billy. Any suggestions? Fire away!

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
:coffee:Just the basic stew veggies. Carrots, onions, taters, and maybe some mushrooms. Add some tomato powder and what ever spices you like. Then if you choose addsome beef or chix tvp add water some flour to thicken a bit.Let it cook till veggies are done then enjoy.
This would also work with dehydrated veggies and save time and weight to the meal.
For that matter you could carry premixed packages and just add water when you get to camp.
Play with mixtures till you get what you like.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like my vegetables :)
I also like soy protein, and if you can get to a Chinese supermarket they'll sell dried soy protein that's been shaped kind of like pasta. These boil up quickly in stew, add body and protein, and don't fall apart like overcooked pasta can do.

'If' you can eat onions, then I would suggest that you make them (British Red has a tutorial for French Onion soup, that is the clearest explanation I can possibly find, on how to cook them for full flavour, and they'll dry off from that and store) up beforehand, and carry them dried. Commercial dried ones are pathetic next to those.

I carry Marigold stock powder and some peanut butter....that's the basis of my stock for stew, add water and any veggies that I choose. I like potatoes, turnip, celeriac, mushrooms and carrots in mine, but I will add peppers, cauliflower, chunks of cucumber, and it's all good :) I add in the soy bow things and bring it up to a boil and reduce to a slow simmer until it's all cooked through. I do add ground pepper, herbs as take my notion, maybe stuff I've found, and I like nuts in mine too. Cashews or pistachios.

This kind of mix curries well, or chilli's well, too.

I do find that if I quickly stir fry the veggies first then it not only enriches the flavour but it speeds up the cooking when the liquid is added.

One pot wonder really :D

M

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I know it's not a stew - but I have a wonderful if basic recipe for Squash/ Pumpkin soup.

As much butternut squash / squash / pumpkin as you like

1 or 2 red peppers

Lots and lots of garlic cloves - usually 4 or more for me.

Some chilly to taste (optional)

Chop all the veg (you can leave the squash skin on but I take it off) into rough 1" cubes

Peel the garlic

Put on a baking tray and drizzle olive oil over the lot (not too much)

Bake for about 40 minutes at 200 degrees or so.

Then take it all out and stick in a pan with a good amount of stock - vegetable/ chicken or beef as you prefer.

Get that warm and then whizz it with a blender and serve.

OMNOMNOMNOMNOM!!!

Sorry for the lack of precise measurements etc - it really is just a slap it together, bit of this, bit of that kind of affair. Which does tend to produce my very best stews.
A delicious recipe for the upcoming winter.

All the best
Andy

xylaria

Lentil dahl

Fry onoin with plenty of oil and at least a tablespoon of garam masala. Add lazy garlic and lazy ginger then add a mug full of preferably hot water and a good handful of lentils. Leave on trundling part of fire for an hour or transfer to flask to eat twelve hours later.

Thermos flasks useful for soaking pulses as long as they dont get over filled. For long trips I find it lighter to carry pulses and a thermos than carry meat products.

Garam/besan/chickpea flour is good camp food. Most stuff can be turned into pakora.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
+1 to both of the above - no photos of my Dahl - but i do have one of our pumpkin soup :)

99 - tea by British Red, on Flickr

i'll be doing curried parsnip soup soon if you would like a write up?

xylaria

The problem with soups unless you cook them first and blend them they dont work without a blender, so aren't much use on a campfire. Saying that bringing a thermos your first night is catered for and you cans soak pulses for the rest of the time. A tick over stew where you start with a homecooked stew first night add pulses for the second night add dried soup mix and some nettle and tvp for tthe third and so on. It can work out a very good way of eating, very light to carry, stupidly cheap. Remember camp hygiene about the pan though or you will every rat and bagder in the area nomming your lentils

Ummm roast parsnips, the wild ones will be ready soon. Fried root veg and nut stuffing balls might be do able in a billy.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
Here's a one that I make at home regularly but can easily be changed to suit one person ! Chop up into whatever size chunks you want ( I use 1cm chunks ) of half a swede, 4 carrots, two ribs of celery, two onions, two cloves of crushed garlic, I use a 900 gram packet of bacon misshapes but of course you can omit them if you want a purely veg based stew. 1 cup of mung dal, 1 cup of channa dal, 2 cups of red lentils(all of these pulses have been washed until the water runs clear, so it would be better to do this at home to save on carrying excess water! Then just put all the ingredients in a pot and cover with water above them up to 2cm. Then simply bring to the boil and simmer for 30-40 mins , longer if you would like a more indian dal like texture or if you have the bacon in it ! ps season with black crushed pepper and what ever herbs you have to hand !

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The problem with soups unless you cook them first and blend them they dont work without a blender, so aren't much use on a campfire. .

?

Plenty of soups I make don't involve a blender at all? For those that do if you want things fine you can just pass them through a sieve.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I don't buy any vegetables from the shops until my stock has really begun to run low. That means generally I make what I suppose would be called old fashioned peasant pottage, in that whatever I have available at the time gets put into the pot, with a bit of pasta added from time to time. To this I add my own herbs and spices, and since I had a particularly good crop of hot peppers this year, it tends to be rather spicy at the moment. I generally use a pressure cooker, and sometimes freeze what gets left over for a quick meal at another time.

I have to buy bread, and dairy produce of course.

If I want a gourmet meal, I go out to eat which is the only time I eat meat.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Bombay potatoe
Spuds
Chillies
Onions
Garlic
Stock cube(veg in your case)
Cumin seeds
Tumeric

Sweat off yer onion in yer pan.add garlic n chillies.add cumin seeds.add yer chopped up spuds n yer stock cube n water.boil for 30 mins till thick and stodgy.if you've gathered any leaf greens yer could at these at the end for the last minute.some of the ingredients can be swapped out for powdered if weights an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
?

Plenty of soups I make don't involve a blender at all? For those that do if you want things fine you can just pass them through a sieve.
Yup I agree with you, being from the country that has the highest number of soup eaters per capita in the world I rarely blitz my soup. Indeed one of the best things about something like Scotch broth is that it's like a pottage and the things like the leek pinwheels and the barley are my favourite bits - you'd loose that if you smushed it up.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
......great big chunks of big Winter carrots, cooked long and slow and just perfect :)

I make good gravy for a vegetarian. Veggies and good gravy and good bread is blooming hard to beat.

M

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I was camping with a veggie friend back in august, I cooked her a zebra billy[1] full of veg stew. I used oxo stock cubes as a base, then added beetroot, carrots, beans, potatoes, turnip, and squash. Lots of pepper and herbs to flavour. A veg stew is very simple. Pick some veg, stew it...

J

[1] That's the cooking pot, not a zebra crossed with a goat...

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Oh we could get into a long debate on that one. I use oxo cubes, am used to them they work. Didn't like the Knorr pots thingies, didn't get on with them. Each chef unto her own.

J

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Anyone else agree that the Knorr stock jelly things are 100 times better than the Oxo cube beasties?

Not a patch on proper stock though. You totally can taste the difference. And I don't need a pretentious poseur of a chef to sell it :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you want to make your veg stew into soup take a spud masher with you, you can use the base of a can to mash too at a push.

Home made stock is best if you know how to make it, I've tried the 'Stock Pots' and regardless of the so called pretentious chief promoting them they are not bad (the 'pots that is) although if using stock cubes I tend to stick to Knorr.

A good vegetable stew is like any other stew, a core of basic ingredients enhanced with herbs and spices of choice.

I had neck of lamb stew today, leave out the lamb and it would have been a veg stew.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Marigold beats them all hands down :D
Kallo's fine if you're watching your salt intake.
On the continent Knorr sell smaller sized cubes of oregano, parsley, dill, etc.,
Those are really good.
I'd rather use the Stock Pot jelly things than an oxo or ordinary knorr cube though.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE