The Official Vegetarian/Vegan Camp Recipe Thread!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
A vegetarian version of an classic Cuban/Hispanic dish:

Ingredients:
Pouch of Sofrito ( tomato + veg mix)
Onion
Oil
Chickpeas
Clove of garlic or two

Fry quartered onion lightly in oil
Add garlic and very gently sautee
Add Sofrito
Warm.
Add drained chickpeas
Warm
Salt and pepper

The original version has Spanish sausage (chorizo) and a bit of bacon added with the garlic.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Small point but bulgar wheat is not buck wheat and also not cous-cous, which is the world's shortest spaghetti.

Sub 1/3 of the liquid with lemon juice and cook the cous-cous according to the package directions.
Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
Add 1/2C+ each: fine dice radish, purple onion, cooked peas, beans, and carrot, cooked corn kernels. All kinds of colors.
Salt and Tabasco to taste, big glug of good olive oil and mix and refrigerate for tomorrow's salad/carb staple.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Bulgur is made from Durum wheat. So is Semolina and couscous. Different measures of processing.
Durum is a species from Group II (tetraploid) with a very high protein content. Not what you want for breads (Group III)
That's what keeps pasta from falling apart in boiling.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Bulgur is made from Durum wheat. So is Semolina and couscous. Different measures of processing.
Durum is a species from Group II (tetraploid) with a very high protein content. Not what you want for breads (Group III)
That's what keeps pasta from falling apart in boiling.

might I just add...
Bulgur wheat, sometimes also called cracked wheat, is a lesser-known type of whole wheat durum grain. Compared to refined carbohydrate foods made with enriched or refined wheat, bulgur wheat is a much better source of vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants and phytonutrients.

Bulgur is low in fat, high in minerals like manganese, magnesium and iron, plus it’s a good source of plant-based protein. On top of this, bulgur wheat provides a very good dose of the dietary fiber you need for digestive and heart health — over 25 percent of your daily needs in every one-cup serving!

And if you have a known allergy or gluten sensitivity, you should avoid bulgur wheat altogether and have gluten-free ancient whole grains like quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat or brown rice instead.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Off Topic:
Depends of which wheat sort bulgur wheat is made from? As RV said, most are prepared from Durum . Nutrient content will be as parent wheat.

Todays nutritional dilemma is that our soils are getting depleted. Thousands of years af agriculture has started to empty them from essential minerals like Selenium.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Idea:
Instead of Rice, use Barley ( whole, pearled, quick cook) or other traditional bread brains.
The trick to get a nicely cooked grain is to wash them well before, then cook for a few minutes, change water, then add new water and finish cooking.
More flavour and no toxic elements as in Brown Rice.

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I prefer wholegrains while camping in my bannock ect because it keeps me satisfied for longer - i rarely find myself needing to snack on energy bars and such after wholegrain flattered for lunch. Interesting on how a normal recipe thread, the tastiest options are discussed, while in a veggie thread, the focus is on what is healthiest. I suppose vegetarianism and being health conscious go hand in hand, but I have personally known some very unhealthy vegans too!

This one isn't really a recipe but more of a combination of ready made stuff. Its good if you want things to be simple and lightweight, and can be done on a small gas/meths stove in one pot:

Vegge Camping Ramen

As featured in this trip report http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143214&highlight=dunkeld

Ingredients:

Marinated fried tofu (In a flavour of you choice. Available at most health food shops, either pre cut or in slab form)

Super noodles OR plain noodles and an instant miso sachet.

Method

Take a pack of supernoodles and add to boiled water. Slice fried tofu into chunks. Simmer for one minute then let sit for 3 or 4 minutes. Enjoy.

For a healthier version, replace super noodles with regular plain dry noodles (fine is best) and a sachet of instant miso soup.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I have a confession:
I steal sachets of sugar, salt, pepper, Tabasco and Soy sauce from fast food places.After I bought the meal, I always take a couple extra, and save.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
2897809-the-isolated-chaos-of-twigs-and-leaves-of-the-apple-tree.jpg

MMMMMM

But being serious, risotto is an easy and tasty one.

Risotto rice
veg stock cube
small plastic bottle of white wine if you choose.. big plastic bottle of white wine if you please :)
small bag of chopped garlic, onion and root veg or butternut squash etc
water
bit of oil

------

Gently fry vegetables in pan for a few minutes
Add rice, fry for a few minutes
(add wine now and boil if using wine)
Add stock cube to water, add to pan. Better to keep adding as it is needed than end up with rice soup
Stir until done. season if desired. Can even bring along a chunk of grana padano if desired to shave over the top.

Job done :)

You can of course make it a bit more exciting if you wish.

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I have a confession:
I steal sachets of sugar, salt, pepper, Tabasco and Soy sauce from fast food places.After I bought the meal, I always take a couple extra, and save.

Theif!! It's a good idea, but I prefer to opt for small reusable containers for stuff like that when I can as I hate taking too much disposable packaging into the woods... I cant say why, its the same feeling that draws me to canvas over nylon, cooking without the need for a bin bag feel more natural and sustainable.

Great to see all these recipes!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
"Wheat" is a group of 14 different species (and countless varieties thereof) of grassy plants originating in the Middle East.
All of the needed and natural cross-pollinations have been replicated. These species are really quite different, both in the field and in the kitchen.
Durum is the source of the wheat product called bulgur, only lesser known in part due to cultural discrimination.

The Group III (hexaploid) bread wheats have desirable characteristics that are rarely pointed out.
1. Less gluten than in Group II (tetraploid) wheats which makes more desirable yeast-leavened baked goods.
2. Much greater stem strength in the wind with less chance of lodging. (Big deal in the harvest.)
3. The awns (husks) are much more easily threshed off that Group II.
It is hard to set the headers and the reel in a combine to thresh Group II = too tight and a lot of the grain gets cracked.

Sure this is off-topic.
You all owe it to yourselves to search out some of the others, like spelt and Emmer for experimental baking.
Try making leavened bread from durum/semolina or rye grain flour for that matter (there's 2 opposite extremes.).

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I prefer wholegrains while camping in my bannock ect because it keeps me satisfied for longer - i rarely find myself needing to snack on energy bars and such after wholegrain flattered for lunch. Interesting on how a normal recipe thread, the tastiest options are discussed, while in a veggie thread, the focus is on what is healthiest. I suppose vegetarianism and being health conscious go hand in hand, but I have personally known some very unhealthy vegans too!

That's my thinking exactly I have been on a weight loss program & I also prefer to eat stuff keeps me satisfied for longer & is also non fattening, I hate the thought of "dieting & being hungry all the time" in order to lose weight so I chose to eat the healthiest option available & loosing weight becomes a bi product of eating healthy food & in less than 3 months I have lost 8 inches from my waist line by eating healthy low fat low gi meals, eliminating fattening processed & sugary foods. I also feel more energized & less tired & sluggish... I am also eating a lot less Meat to eliminate fat from my meals,

I dug out my old sat today I had forgotten how much I like using it & how Versatile it is... I made FAF Free

Sainsbury’s dried whole wheat noodles, My Healthy option go to Noodles for camping but for me Medium noodles are best, veggie seasoning with fresh tomatoes dried onions dried TVP & chillies

I think I will have to try instant miso saches & possibly revisit toFu

I also realized how much unnecessary faffing goes into my other recipes eg peeling tomatoes to produce a smother sauce,

I think I will need to revise my grab N go day pack & reinstate my sat its heavy bulky but so versatile

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm an omnivore. Mostly eating low fat (2g/100g cooked) meats from big game (bison, venison, moose/elk) and lots of fish.
and far and away more vegetables than ever in the past. No reason not to make up dozens of different herb and spice mixes.
I don't peel vegetables. I know that cucumber and tomato are really fruits but you won't catch me peeling a green pepper.

Just yesterday, I found my Krinos cookbook which describes the original Mediterranean Diet from the research of 1960.
Skimmed it, much more legumes of all kinds. Must be worth a real read.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Theif!! It's a good idea, but I prefer to opt for small reusable containers for stuff like that when I can as I hate taking too much disposable packaging into the woods... I cant say why, its the same feeling that draws me to canvas over nylon, cooking without the need for a bin bag feel more natural and sustainable.

Great to see all these recipes!

I have bad experience from plastic bottles. I store the sachets in a plastic Tuppenware box, and put the packaging in a plastic Ziplock bag then into the Tuppenware. Unless the sachet is paper, that I burn.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The pulses I have been carrying is Lentils. In the dry form. As soon as I arrive to area where I plan to overnight, I start soaking them. Even 30 minutes soaking shortens the boiling time.

Czech Sweet and Sour lentils:

Boil Lentils until almost done.
Drain most of water. salt to taste. Add a dash of vinegar ( malt vinegar from a stolen sachet!!) and sugar to taste.
Should have a "fresh " taste.
The consistency should be kind of a little bit creamy, but the lentils should not be all mashed up.

If you overcook, it will be a little bit like a thick porridge. Still delicious if you are hungry!

Traditionally these lentils are served to Wiener sausages and such, but are nice on there own too.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I have a confession:

Yea my Wife does that too, only the other day while we were on a day trip to Dunure castle I had made egg mayo sandwiches A little low on salt, she commented, don't you have any in your swag bag stash I asked, she then produced salt & also several sachets of tomato sauce from McD's dated use by 2006....

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks. I will make that lentil dish. I'm disappointed how mushy and sloppy they go.
Cook to what? al dente'? Mush is unappealing.

2 tbsp vinegar of your choice
1 tsp each dried basil flakes and sugar
stir to dissolve the sugar and wet the basil flakes (fresh dice if you have it)
Last, add 2 tbs good EVO and shake like hello.

This is good on salad greens, should fit with the lentils, too.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yea my Wife does that too, only the other day while we were on a day trip to Dunure castle I had made egg mayo sandwiches A little low on salt, she commented, don't you have any in your swag bag stash I asked, she then produced salt & also several sachets of tomato sauce from McD's dated use by 2006....

2006? Matured, vintage tomatosauce !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE