The Official Vegetarian/Vegan Camp Recipe Thread!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
You asked for it and you got it!

Post your tasty meat/animal product free camp recipes and helpful tips here!
(and hopefully we can avoid getting into a debate about dietary choices eh?) ;)

I'll start, Linda McCartney vegetarian sausages cooked over the fire on a stick! I'm also a fan of shiitake mushroom pate, its great for lunch snacking and comes in a resealable can for ease of transport!

I look forward to hearing (and stealing) all your recipes!

(also as a side note in the future I'd like to start a bushcrafty youtube channel where I, among other things, do lots of camp cooking and bush recipe tutorials) :D

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Old Elpaso Cowboy Beanz

1} 2 small onion finely chopped, 1 level teaspoon Kucharek vegetable seasoning (polish find in the ethnic isle), fry in 1 level teaspoon rapeseed oil & a little water about (150ml) till soft & water is gone.

In a pot Add 1 tray cherry tomatoes chopped in ¼ s to 1 level teaspoon Kucharek vegetable seasoning, 1 packet Santa Maria seasoning, mix for tacos original (Mild), add a little water around 3 tablespoons
bird eye chilies (add according to your own taste) finely chopped (I use scissors) add the cooked onions & 5 tablespoon Soya mince cook for 5 minutes

2} Drain & rinse 1 tin Old Elpaso black beans Mix the beanz with all the other ingredients & heat through

Garnish with a little grated mozzarella cheese, & serve with lettuce & cumber, in the Old Elpaso whole wheat wraps!

can also be eaten cold if preferred​

(ingredients in red)

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Dust burgers for Sissies!

(a dehydrated meal) prepared & packed in a Zip lock bag @ home

just add 1 Tablespoon rapeseed oil & 3 tablespoons water

@ home add 1 teaspoon Gluten free flour & 1 level Teaspoon Kucharek vegetable seasoning (Polish find in the ethnic isle), & 3 Heep tablespoons dry Soya Dust , 1 Tablespoon Great Scott dried onion flakes & 1 bird eye chilly to a zip lock bag

(soya Dust, sieve soya mince use what goes through. crush first with rolling pin if required )

Ready to cook

1} Carefully remove the bird eye chilly from zip lock bag & fling it away. Add the contents of zip lock to a bowl add 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil & 3 tablespoons water into the bowl & mix well, & let stand for 5 Minutes or so mixing periodically.
2} Spoon the mixture into a nonstick f.pan with a little rapeseed oil just enough to prevent sticking, shape like 1/2 a wrap shaped burger, Fry & flip till cooked
Serve in a whole-wheat wrap with V friendly Mayonnaise & salad greens.

(ingredients in Red)

Last edited:

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Ingredients
1/2 cup Fine Cornmeal
1/2 cup Gluten Free Self Raising White Flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Pinch Salt
Dash of vinegar or lemon juice in water (For non-vegans replace with a couple of tsp of powdered milk)
Optional something to make it interesting if you wish, e.g. chopped olives, ransoms, precooked chopped mushrooms, a spoonful of mixed seeds, mixed berries, etc

Method
Mix the dry ingredients
Slowly add the water mixture and mix until you have a very thick batter mix that sticks to the spoon, it needs to be wet enough to settle a bit when you put it in the pan but shouldn't be runny

Spoon large dollops into a medium heat oiled pan and lightly press them flattish to be about 1cm thick
Flip over part way through cooking (do not attempt to flip too soon)
Cook until evenly brown on both sides should take 5-10 minutes depending on heat

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
WARNING! Most coconut milk powder contains :~ the "Milk Protein (Sodium Caseinate)" Ie. is not suitable for Vegans...

If you do not have any problems with dairy sensitivity It will be suitable for vegetarians.
For Vegans & folks with dairy sensitivity see foot note...

Sweet creamy muesli with coconut milk

(Dehydrated) prepared & packed in a Zip lock bag @ home

Just add water

@ home add I bowl of Jordan’s No sugar muesli, a handful of Dehydrated mixed fruit of your choice, 1 tablespoon Crystallized Fructose (Fruit sugar), 2 tablespoon Coconut Milk Powder to a zip lock bag

Ready to eat

Empty contents into a bowl pour on 200ml cold water mix thoroughly & enjoy

Foot note:~ Vegan friendly non dairy coconut powder is available https://www.realfoodsource.com/product/vegan-coconut-milk-powder/?gclid=CIyw_Lv1itUCFZUYGwoduJEHBA

See also post #50

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
This is turning out to be another very good and valuable thread for me , thank you all very much .
There's some cracking recipes here already...

My boy is a pescatarian and we both eat veggie meals when out and about.
His favourite at the moment is:

Creamy pesto pasta .

I usually fry chunky diced halloumi in a little oil, whilst boiling the pasta.
When the halloumi has got the golden crispy look I add halved cherry tomatoes and stir for about a minute.
Then I add a couple of generous dollops of pesto sauce ( about 2 big tbl spoons) and about half a small pot of double cream (small pot = 300ml) and heat again without letting it boil, stirring it continuously.
By then the pasta is Al dente and so I drain and throw it in the pesto saucepan with all the stuff

I then add raw spinach leaves and mix it all up .

I add a little chilli sauce to my taste (usually the Cholula brand one as it's not super hot , just tasty) .

Cheap, easy and very nutritious

👍

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Central European (mock) Tripe Goulash (Soup) :

Finely chop an onion
Gently fry in oil.
Add Sweet Paprika, quickly sweat DO NOT BURN
Pour water on
Add a tiny bit of ground Cayenne
Add finely cubed potatoes, sliced Oyster mushrooms
Gently boil until potatoes are ready
Add a pinch of Marjoram, a little bit of crushed Caraway seeds, salt to taste. Ground black pepper.

If you want to take with you into nature, use much less water, then add local boiled water and heat up.
You can of course take with you the ingredients raw and do all cooking there!

Ideas:
For soup, add more water and salt. For casserole, add less water.

If you want you can add more Cayenne pepper ( ground) for increased heat.

As it is Vegan, it will last for a couple of days without refrigeration. No animal fat or proteins that can go off.

I had this soup for lunch in a local restaurant here in Prague, Czech Republic. If was just as good as the real one, a favourite soup of mine!

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Nettle soup:

Gently fry finely chopped onion in oil.
Add finely chopped potato, add water
Boil for a couple of minutes.
Add washed, finely chopped Stinging Nettle leaves.
Boil for maybe 5 minutes.
Salt, pepper.

Enjoy.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Spicy bolock~naked sauce for pasta

1} 1 small onion finely chopped, 1 level teaspoon Kucharek vegetable seasoning, fry in 1 level teaspoon rapeseed oil & a little water till soft & water is gone,

2} Put 1 level teaspoon Kucharek vegetable seasoning, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 level spoon fructose, Birdseye chilly to your taste finely chopped, & 13 cherry tomatoes chopped in quarters in a pot & cook on a low heat for 3 minute or so, Add 4 table spoons dehydrated Soya mince add the cooked onions cook for another 2~3 minutes

serve with a pasta of your choice

(ingredients in Red)

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
If you do not have the Polish Kucharek seasoning, what would you recommend as replacement?

Marigold vegetable stock powder is good. I prefer it to the Kucharek. Not sure if you can get it in the Caymans though. I reckon any veg stock powder would work ok.

No idea what postage might be, but the Kucharek is in small, light packages, so let me know if you want me to get a postage quote.

Last edited:

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
My go to umami (savoury) flavouring ingredient is dark miso paste. Its a bit of an acquired taste and mostly used in Japanese food but I use it in any soup, stew, sauce or both to add umami. Its replaces stock cubes for me. Personally I find vegetable stock cubes only adds saltiness, miso adds savouriness - its hard to describe! It's kinda like soy sauce paste.

I like hatchi miso which is a dark miso thats all fermented soy bean with no wheat or barley added to it. It also stores for ages so no problem to take camping.

The way I see it, because the whole country was mostly vegetarian for so long, they know a thing or two about getting the right nutrition and flavours without meat. I find Japanese ingredients like this are the best, even when cooking a hearty english stew! Actually, I will put up my recipe for a hearty winter stew a bit later on I think.

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Rustic Hearty vegan Winter Stew

I have left the amounts very vague because they change every time I make it depending on what vegetables and flavours I fancy at the time. My mum taught me to cook and she is a very rustic 'handful of this' kind of cook. If she does measure anything it is in lbs on an old pair of balance scales, and it's always roughly the right amount. I find this style of cooking suits traditional bushcraft camping well. I usually use just one (or half) of each vegetable depending on its size and how many i'm cooking for. You can cut them up and bag them before the trip but I find it more satisfying peeling and chopping in camp on a split log smoothed over with an axe and crook knife. If I am solo camping though, I will bag them, as otherwise it is far too easy to make way too much food.

This is a pretty substantial meal with heavy ingredients so isn't well suited to multi day backpacking, but for a winter overnighter/basecamp meal its a goodun.

Ingredients:

Preferred vegetarian sausage (I like linda mcartneys, but quorn ones will do, and have more integrity so are easier to cook with camp cooksets)

A selection of favorite root vegetables, cut chunky, including:
Carrot
Swede
Butternut Squash
Potato
Celeriac (usually a smaller amount)
Turnip
any other root vegetable you have to hand

Onion/shallots

Garlic

Miso paste

Thyme/sage/bay leaf

Oil (olive/vegetable)

Flax seeds (if you want to thicken the stew. This also adds omega 3)

Method

In a sauce pan/billy can (I use an MSR stowaway, or if weight isn't an issue, a dutch oven) heat a little oil, and add chopped onions/shallots, minced garlic and minced miso paste.

Once the onions are clear, add the root vegetables, and herbs, and cover with water. If you can, raise the cooking pot, or shift it to a cooler spot on the fire/wood stove, so there is a more gentle heat for simmering.

A word of caution, if all vegetables are the same size and added at the same time, the potatoes will turn to mush before the carrots or turnip are cooked through.
One way to get around this is to cut the hard vegetables small and soft vegetables large. Small diced carrots and large diced potatoes will take the same amount of time to cook through.
The other method, and the one I prefer, because I like all my vegetables chunky, is to add the hard vegetables like carrot, turnip and celeriac first, then add the squash ten minutes later, and the potato 10 minutes later again.
Generally, cut the size I like, I find carrots take up to 40 minutes, and potatoes son more than 10. Other vegetables lie somewhere in between but experience will best tell you how long.
Sometimes, to thicken the stew, I like to add some of the potato a little early, so that it goes mushy.

Keep checking occasionally that its not boiling too fiercely and top up with water if it gets a bit dry. It should be on a gentle enough heat that it is only just bubbling.

About 10 minutes before the last of the vegetables will be softened, heat some more oil in a frying pan (I use a titanium plate wedged into a stick handle, but again, if weights not an issue use a cast iron skillet) and add the vegge sausages. Halfway through cooking, cut into 1-2cm thick slices, and fry until brown.

Add sausages to the stew, boil all together for the last 5 minutes. If you want a thicker stew, add ground flax seeds at this time too. Just a few tablespoons will make a watery stew quite thick.
Its a good idea at this point to give it a taste and add more herbs/seasoning to your preference.

Serve with fresh baked bannock, or bread if you're fancy. Eat with a wooden spoon that you whittled while you were waiting for it to cook.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
If you do not have the Polish Kucharek seasoning, what would you recommend as replacement?

I get mine in Salisbury's... on ebay it's expensive

As Nice65 has already said... I'd probably go with, Marigold Organic Swiss Vegetable Boulillon powder & its Vegan

alternatively you could use any powdered veggie stock/seasoning

or maybe Knorr Arromat all Purpose Savory Seasoning & a veggie stock cube... but I don't know if Arromat Vegan

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Aromat. Lovely stuff, MSG in a pot. As a 70's kid, I grew up with MSG. I have one of the Light My Fire eating sets with a device that holds salt, pepper...and Aromat. Marigold gives a better flavour, its heavy on the celery salt, but can't beat a bit of Aromat when used as a sprinkle on food.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Aromat is a classic!

MSG is a misunderstood food enhancer. It is a derivative, completely harmless.

My favourite herb for soups and casseroles is Lovage. Everybody should have a plant growing in a pot indoors, or outdoors in the garden.

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Post your tasty meat/animal product free camp recipes and helpful tips here!
(and hopefully we can avoid getting into a debate about dietary choices eh?) ;)

:D

Going off topic a bit here guys? DOH!

Try to stick to recipes, debates about dietary choices are for another thread Just sayin!

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Sweet Chilly couscous style (Bulgar Wheat)

Fry 1 large finely chopped onion in 1 level teaspoon rapeseed oil 1 level teaspoon powdered Veggie stock of your choice & a little water till soft & water is gone,
Add 1 tray cherry tomatoes chopped in half, 1 level spoon fructose, your own choice of finely chopped chilly, cook till tomatoes just starting to go soft n juicy

while the onions are cooking, Add 4 table spoons Bulgar wheat, prepare ½ pt of your own preferred (boiling hot) veggie bullion, add some to the onions & tomatoes as you cook to prevent it from drying out continue to cook untill the Bulger is fully re-hydrated
& the onion is cooked.

if you like for texture you could replace 1 spoonful of bugler for T.V.P.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE