Time Team..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Having a sort through some gear that has been stowed away for some time I came across one of my old tents. Must be close on 40 years since I bought it, sometime back in the late 1970's I think. I came home on leave and went for a wander up around the Northern section of the Pennine Way. I believe it last saw the light of day about 10 years ago on an Exmoor trip. They were fairly advanced tents for their time and this one survived some serious weather up around Kielder Forest long ago.

Took it to a friends place and just put it up for an airing..

ni4aqZVl.jpg

1OmfhSbl.jpg

phoDoGfl.jpg

Cof5mjrl.jpg

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
That's a blast from the past.. in decent nic to.. i love old tents.. they made them better years ago.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
He was the father of the modern lightweight tent and what he made were really top kit; we've still got a jetpacker in the family which I bought about as long ago as yours and it's still going strong, did a DoE gold thingy for a great neice a couple of years ago and has been in constant use all this time.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Back in the day I often saw Bob at the Camping and Outdoor Leisure show (mostly on the stand or in The George) and found him a great personality with great ideas.
He certainly electrified tent design and took it in new directions and I tried many of his designs (but not the Fell Packer) without finding a bad one among them.
Great days!

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I had one exactly like yours that my boys used and another for myself. I still have mine. Both tents withstood a severe Easter snow storm in the Peak District when we were pinned down for two nights unable to move. Great adventure!

I have yet to find a tents that matches up to anything Robert Saunders made in terms of weight for strength. So sad he died young.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My goodness! I bought a similar tent in ripstop nylon, with a floor, from Recreational Equipment in Seattle,WA.
I'll guess 1969 or 1970. Came with a great billowing rainfly which went over top and gave great porch space.
Stolen in 1975.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE