rep system and how it's used

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I've just noitced this comment for neg rep in my CP
"Strongly disagree, maybe "collector" knifes can't cope but "users" should."
my post that caused this
"I like the mini grips myself
I wouldn't use any folder with a baton though"

I don't see how this is worthy of neg rep. Also I feel that the tone implies I don't use knives :rolleyes:

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
I would not bother about it! :p

I have been given Negative Rep for such "infringements" as pointing out that Poaching is Illegal, and most recently for pointing out that introducing an IV line without being Qualified to do it, is a Crime in the UK.

It seems to me that the Rep System is nothing but a Vendetta System for the Small Minded and Vindictive. :cool:

Reactions: Mantic

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Perhaps the system should somehow allow for making a comment, but not to award negative Rep points!

That or ingnore the blatently obvious comments for what they are.
The detraction of points for such idiotic reasons should be treated with the contempt that it deserves. If someone feels the need to do a member down for posting his own point of view, then this could fast become a place that is not for me - I come here to learn from the great wealth of knowledge of the forum membership and to assist others in some small way if I can, not to pump my own ego at the expense of others

Ogri the trog

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Ogri the trog said:
Perhaps the system should somehow allow for making a comment, but not to award negative Rep points!

That or ingnore the blatently obvious comments for what they are.
The detraction of points for such idiotic reasons should be treated with the contempt that it deserves. If someone feels the need to do a member down for posting his own point of view, then this could fast become a place that is not for me - I come here to learn from the great wealth of knowledge of the forum membership and to assist others in some small way if I can, not to pump my own ego at the expense of others

Ogri the trog

Have you seen Slashdot's moderation system? This is similar to rep points, but apply to individual posts, and a user's "karma" is related to the total moderation to all his posts.

There's also a meta-moderation mechanism to avoid abuse of moderation.

K.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Reactions: Stuart

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Admin is aware that the points system has become both a source of quiet satisfaction as well as a lot of grief. Fortunately the vast majority treat the system responsibly and use it to express either thanks for information received or in approval of opinions in a post.

There has been a rash of negative posting however, that has led to the discussion of an entire close down of the system. It does have both it's good and bad *points* :rolleyes:

Personally I find the determined posturing of a few offensive, and when that carries over into negative points for other members, I'm absolutely certain that I'm not alone in finding myself trying sooooo hard to resist posting negative points "just because I can". :eek:

I suggest that everyone takes a big deep breath before posting negative points, a little courtesy goes along way. Comments can be left in such a way that disagreement is expressed without a resounding put down that inflames retaliation.

This is an informative forum, friendly and interesting; the vast majority of us would rather it was kept that way. :)

Cheers,
Toddy

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
It seems to me that the problem with the rep system here is that people can leave rep anonymously. This has led to people using it sporadically and a little tit for tat.

It seems to function much better onBritish Blades - if you post negative rep the person you give it to can see who it's from. This seems to reduce the amount that the system is used in a spiteful way.

The other thing BB does is publicly display your reputation on your posts, rather than the vague "on a distinguished road" "will be famous soon enough" tags. This makes it more of a worthwhile thing to use as everyone can see the rep of people they are talking to.

Having said all this I guess there is an argument for simple good-old-fashioned judging a person by the way they interact with others on the boards.

IMHO it should either be scrapped or upgraded to display like on British Blades.
:)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I find the system works well on BritishBlades, but then it's set so the poster is known to the reciever - it's not anonymous. I find that people are more reluctant to post negative rep if thier name is on it. Different schools of thought on this. Some say the anonymous system stimulates more honest feedback, others say it just lets people off the hook and allows them to act maliciously. I personally prefer the system when the name is attached.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Perhaps there should be a neutral option?
So someone could just comment without affecting the rep score, although personally I will add to the post rather than anonymous rep.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I wouldn't worry about that if I were you Andy. We know, and you know - you like sharp pointed pieces of metal. And I'm sure you're capable handling one. It just shows the opinion of (as Marts put it) Small Minded & Vindictive.

The reputation system is a good thing to have IMO, although I agree it's misused by some people in some situations (and if it's found out who do this, they should be banned IMHO, as I see it as some sort of anonomious flaming). As mentioned by others before me, I would vote for the same system as used on BB. Purely because the name of the person giving rep. is added.

I seldom give a person rep. Only in when I find it a really good post / it's of some great use for others. When I give it, I always put my name in it, as I find people should know by who the rep is given. Not because I expect rep back from people. But just so they know their post was of use for me, and they taught me something I didn't knew before.

Never give negative reputation, as I think it's not fair - eventhough I'm allowed to give it if it's c**p in my opinion and of absolutely no help whatsoever / or just wrong info. I find it's better to comment the post to teach the person, rather than blunt "punishment" by neg. rep.
Only gave negative rep to one person - but gave positive criticism, and at the moment the posts by that person are really growing / more mature. Before they were just ****.

My 2 € cent ;)

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I was just going to post pretty much what Marts has put. I think it would work better if anonymity was removed and also think the suggestion of a neutral option would be useful.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
sxmolloy said:
How do I view my own rep points (apparently I have 10) and what people have had to say about me / my posts and views? :confused:

Thanks

Stu

I think that you start off with 10 points as a :newbie:

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
:rolleyes: It's an interesting system but I feel that it's open to abuse. One member didn't like what I said so was abusive in the forum and gave me a negative rep to boot.

If you disagree with what someone says, then be open about it - make your point and move on. If you dislike what someone has said and decide to comment, then be cautious with how you reply - arguments easily spread to other threads and just annoy everyone.

Did I return the favour and give him a bad rep, of course not. There's just no percentage in it :)

I think it would be better in the long run if the rep system only worked for positive points - that way it's kind of like a feel good thing. That's just MHO, and whether a positive only system is created is by the by - I for one won't dish out negative comments since that's what the forum is for :rolleyes:

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Sxmolloy - Oh yep, you do start off with 10 points as a newbie - I've given you a rep point for raising the issue (I thought I was going a bit mad for the same reason when I first joined here).

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I have a growing suspicion the this sudden spate of negative rep points may be due to the actions of a small number of people on the forum, unfortunately this abuse may result in the rep system being removed.

The reputation system is designed to encourage people to be helpful and allow new members who are not familiar with the personalities on the forum to know whether the advice being given is from someone trusted to give good advice.

I agree that the reputation points should be visible on the forum this is something that is on our ever growing list of things to do

it might well be a good idea to remove the anonymity, I think it was originally set up to be anonymous due to concerns that knowing who dealt you bad rep might decent into tit for tat

another modification may be to remove the ability to post negative reputation until you have received certain number of positive reputation from others, then the only people able to reduce an individuals reputation would be those who have shown them selves in the past to be helpful and knowledgeable

or perhaps it should be removed entirely to prevent any further abuse of the system

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I think it would be a shame to remove it.
I like the idea of only being able to post negative rep once your positive rep has reached a certain level though Stuart.

I guess it depends on how much work it is to institute visible rep. Over to the Admin!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE