rep system and how it's used

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ok, this issue is part oversight on my part, I activated the rep ability of the forum but didn't make it so people could see who had posted the rep. I didn't do this on purpose, it was just one of those things. But it's not working and I'm going to change it so that everyone can see who leaves them rep and the comments made. We'll soon be upgrading the forums so there might be a few other changes as well but for now I'll change this. I'll do it some time in the next few days, hopefully that will give people time to prepare :D

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
I am sure that removing the anonymity will discourage abuse of the system.

My own feeling is, that if you really disagree with something on the boards, then you you should say so, in a reasoned and polite way in a post. :D

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I had not ever thought about rep points untill this thread came up and having read mine i now find that i have a negative point left on 13/5/06 for a light hearted post on 27/2/06 in the post 101 top tips i said,
If you have seen Mr Mears do it on telly and it looks easy you had better hope you dont need to do it in a hurry.
a nice innocuous post so i thought, my negative rep says
ray Mears,does that name mean everything.
I can completly understand that if people are giving out false or dangerous information, breaking forum rules or activley promoting illegal activities then negative points should be given.
But if the adult, open, helpful people that use this forum feel the need to resort to playground name calling whilst hiding behind anonymity perhaps this system needs a change, perhaps rep points could only be given by mods after a post and explanation is sent by the person wishing to post rep points. At least this way some of the stupid small minded people who obviously lurk in here with chips on there shoulders you would need a chain saw to get through would not be able to to leave pointless feedback for no reason.

cheers
louis

Tiffers

Mar 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Now I'm used to the rep system on BB and I kind of assumed it was in the same location here on BcUK as well but I'm blowed if I can even find the place it tells me I have the 10 you begin with!

I've looked in my user CP and cant see anything......

Am I just going mental?

:confused:

Tiffers

Reactions: British Red

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
Tiffers, Brian,

Find a thread that you have posted in and click on your own scales (top right of post) and it should open a new window with your rep points.

Cceers P@ul

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
lou1661 said:
I had not ever thought about rep points untill this thread came up and having read mine i now find that i have a negative point left on 13/5/06 for a light hearted post on 27/2/06 in the post 101 top tips i said,
If you have seen Mr Mears do it on telly and it looks easy you had better hope you dont need to do it in a hurry.
a nice innocuous post so i thought, my negative rep says
ray Mears,does that name mean everything.
I can completly understand that if people are giving out false or dangerous information, breaking forum rules or activley promoting illegal activities then negative points should be given.
But if the adult, open, helpful people that use this forum feel the need to resort to playground name calling whilst hiding behind anonymity perhaps this system needs a change, perhaps rep points could only be given by mods after a post and explanation is sent by the person wishing to post rep points. At least this way some of the stupid small minded people who obviously lurk in here with chips on there shoulders you would need a chain saw to get through would not be able to to leave pointless feedback for no reason.

cheers
louis

I know it's irritating Louis, this is the reason for making it all open, that does seem like a daft reason to neg rep you, I'd have to agree with your statement, he was showing me something once and it took him 30 seconds and me about an hour!

The rep system is something for everyone to use, hopefully they will be a bit more responsible with it now that there's no hiding away. I'm not going to put even more on the Mods, they do loads as it is, this is for the members to get their heads around.

This is dead right and the positive points should be given if someone posts something useful, they have good advice and they have contributed to the forum, peoples lives etc.

I would suggest for everyone that the rep point thing start anew from today, ignore all the previous stuff and don't get wound up because people have been daft.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
BOD said:
Well, imagine my situation being one of the privileged few from 2004 not to start with any rep points at all.

I now find a neg point for a single line post just asking a question

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?p=177202#post177202

The comment? "Not watched Ray Mears then!!!"

I better go and read the Bushcraft Bible.

:eek: Makes two of us then :rolleyes: well....at least until the first Scottish meet up :D ......they were very kind to me (cheers Sandbender :) ) I think I've caught two programmes since then......he doesn't give you much time to see what he's doing sometimes, does he? Makes good tv though :D

Stupid questions? Oh there are, I assure you, but only with hindsight ;)

Cheers,
Toddy

Who appears to have developed smileyitus again :eek:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I've been told I should now be able to see who repped me but I can't seem to, others have made up for it though

as for there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers I don't agree with this at all
If you asked all the men you know to give an example of a stupid question I think 90% could give you one. Of these I estimate that 37% of the answers will be "Will you marry me?"

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Wenie said:
I have a little blueish-grey square in my reputation received section, with no comment - is this a negative rep point? :confused:

I don't think so - I think it is just reputation form someone that had no 'reputation altering' power - ie a newbie! - and you can send a rep point without any comment I think so guess that explains that too!

btw I've just sent you a positive comment, hopefully it is green!

Reactions: Wenie

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
If you click "User CP" on the left of the bar at the top of the page you will see your "points total" and also "Latest Reputation Received".

Is it possible to see all of the comments though, rather than just latest?

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
scanker said:
If you click "User CP" on the left of the bar at the top of the page you will see your "points total" and also "Latest Reputation Received".

Is it possible to see all of the comments though, rather than just latest?

I used to be able to veiw comments etc.. but now "Points total" or "latest rep' received" no longer appear in my CP. I wonder if this feature times out arfter a while and reappears when you receive more rep points? :confused: :dunno:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE