rep system and how it's used

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Maybe this helps for the people who are still wondering what on earth we are talking about ;)

BCUKreputation.jpg

Reactions: Toddy

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
No still can't see it??

Look at my reputation this was done by an ex administrator on the older version of BCUK, who decided to have a go at me, how do I know ??
I received abusive emails from them because of a cheeky comment I made to a fellow member who I used to chat to in the chatroom (remember that??)he knew what I was on about and was shocked when I told him what had happened.
That is the problem with the rep points people can have a go at you just because they are in a bad mood and you have no comeback.

MickT

Reactions: Ahjno

Wenie

Forager
Aug 4, 2005
S. Wales valleys
g4ghb said:
I don't think so - I think it is just reputation form someone that had no 'reputation altering' power - ie a newbie! - and you can send a rep point without any comment I think so guess that explains that too!

btw I've just sent you a positive comment, hopefully it is green!
Thanks for the explanation! :You_Rock_

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
2 questions please.

1. a green point is positive but a grey one is negative or from someone with no rep giving power?? Which is it?

2. what is the ettiquette on BCUK if you get a a rep point? Do you PM the giver now that you know who it is or do you just acknowledge it in the thread as I saw some people do it before?

so many things to learn.. so many things to learn :confused:

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
1. The latter - no rep-giving power. (That sounds a bit comic book/top trumps! :))

2. I suppose it's polite to send a PM although I must admit I haven't really done so in the past. I think the rep system here is little used compared to some other sites. If/As it became more popular, thanking every rep point might be a bit impractical. Perhaps it's impractical anyway, and it's just the fact that I'm really unhelpful which is why I don't have anyone to thank! :( :lmao:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
BOD said:
2 questions please.

1. a green point is positive but a grey one is negative or from someone with no rep giving power?? Which is it?

2. what is the ettiquette on BCUK if you get a a rep point? Do you PM the giver now that you know who it is or do you just acknowledge it in the thread as I saw some people do it before?

so many things to learn.. so many things to learn :confused:

Neil (Scanker) is right BOD.
- Blue / greyish = rep received / given by person without rep giving power. I.e.g. most of the times a newbie / person with hardly any posts / hardly any rep him - herself.
- Green = is positive rep given, points are added to your rep.
- Red = negative rep given, points are substracted from your rep, though they are NOT added to the rep of the person who gave you negative rep.

Regarding your second point ;)
I've never PM-ed someone to tell I gave him / her rep. Always added my name in the comment I gave.
There's no real etiquette, as far I'm aware of.

I reckon you could do if you gave negative rep, but I do find it's better to give comment on that particular post (which is neg. rep worth) rather than giving neg rep. But that's, again, horses for courses.

BOD

Ahjno said:
Regarding your second point ;)
I've never PM-ed someone to tell I gave him / her rep. Always added my name in the comment I gave.
There's no real etiquette, as far I'm aware of.

I reckon you could do if you gave negative rep, but I do find it's better to give comment on that particular post (which is neg. rep worth) rather than giving neg rep. But that's, again, horses for courses.

I meant - do you thank them if you get a + point from them ?

leon-1

BOD said:

There is no requirement to actually PM someone and say thank you, in the end it is a thank you type of thing being posted by other members to you.

Some of the guys that have spontaneously set up group buys have recieved rep from quite a few of the other members for doing it and going through the hassle, if they answered to all they probably would end up spending all thier time on BCUK answering for rep points.

I would say though use your judgement to thank people if you wish (there have been a few occasions when I have).

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
BOD said:

I think generally, the convention is that rep is a one way thing and there is no need to send a PM in reply. If you are grateful, then keep the rep system in mind and rep some other deserving soul.

Spread the love. :lol:

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I personally, have little experience with this kind of thing although my wife came across a similar problem on a Midwife forum she belongs to.

I'm surprised people decide that they need to behave like this on a forum that is based on something that we largely do for fun. I work in an office where office politics is eating away at the firm so I find it a little upsetting when I find that my escape is actually just like work :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I've therefore, decided to take a different approach and I'm now giving postive feed back on everyone who helps me out. This is not to say that there is no place for negative feedback, after all we can't fix the problem if we don't know what it is so perhaps a quick pm pointing out what has upset you.

But giving negative feedback coz you don't like their font, please grow up!

I'll be watching those negative points roll on in now :lmao:

Pib

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
BOD said:

You can only do that if you notice. I, like most I suspect, do not check my rep very often so months can have passed since the rep has been given before I notice so a PM saying thank you may seem out of place.

But for all those who have given me rep, a belated thank you :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE