1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poole Bay Baker Tent

Discussion in 'Shelter & Sleeping' started by Wayland, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Wayland

Wayland Hárbarðr

Had a second weekend out in my new Baker tent now so thought I'd give a little feed back on it.

[​IMG]

I wanted something between a tarp set up for small mobile camps and the Bell tent for our larger static camps with the Steam Tent Co-operative.

When I saw the Baker tent that Steven from Poole Bay Bushcraft had put together for himself I thought I was on the right track. I didn't want the sewn in ground sheet or the midge netting that his had but the shape a flexibility was spot on. I requested a few minor modifications and placed my order.

[​IMG]

It has a base footprint of 7'x7' with an awning the same size. There are two side walls to the awning which can be rolled up or attached to the awning for extra cover. The main shelter pitches away to a 2' wall at the back of the tent which provides a perfect place for a low camp bed. I use an old stretcher.

When pitched as you see it here. the awning provides a good admin space, sheltered but not closed in, so good for cooking with a stove for instance. I use it as an area to set up a couple of tables and my Chuck Box as I'm getting a bit too old for squatting on the floor like I used to.

I like it because I don't go camping to be shut up inside a tent and this gives me that openness but it could be closed up for privacy or against foul weather if really needed.

Here you see the awning roof supported with a flying line to the branches above but for field use I've since made a four pole "spider" with a wooden block in the centre. Somewhat like the roof supports of a Yurt if that makes sense. Sadly, I don't have a picture of that to show you yet.

For me, it's a perfect solution for when I'm working from a vehicle for a solo camp or meet-up.

#1 Wayland, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Condex, Fin, santaman2000 and 11 others like this.
  2. CLEM

CLEM Full Member

Looks a great piece of kit. A Baker is something I have been mulling over for a while now.

3. sunndog

sunndog Full Member

You've got some style wayland can't deny it :D

plastic-ninja and CLEM like this.
  4. Broch

Broch Full Member

Looking good Wayland! I've always fancied making a Baker Tent since reading Bill Mason's book where he's published a design for what he calls the Campfire Tent.

Will we see it at the camp over the bank holiday?

CACHERSQUIRREL likes this.
  5. Wayland

Wayland Hárbarðr

I'll be using it as the utility tent for the craft weekend. The footprint is a bit smaller than the one I usually use and I think we might be close to capacity on the pitch we have this time.

6. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

It’s awesome. Your good photography helps, but there’s no getting away from where you are with your camping at the moment. I love the Baker tents, really nearly got a basic version a while ago. You’ve iced the cake with that set up, that’s a pic from another world of camping. :)

Wayland and Billy-o like this.
  7. Wayland

Wayland Hárbarðr

I've always admired old images of camping in the Victorian / Colonial age. I love some of the campaign furniture that turns up from time to time as well. I've collected bits and peices like this for years.

I guess I've been moving towards greater comfort on camp for a while and as my fitness declines with age I am more likely to be camping close to a vehicle now than I used to.

My recent shift towards "Old School" or "Steampunk" camping was largely catalysed by circumstances beyond my control but it does provide the perfect excuse to indulge myself with this kind of thing.

I'm having a thoroughly good time with it all.

santaman2000 and Nice65 like this.
  8. Wayland

Wayland Hárbarðr

I have been very impressed with the quality of the items I have purchased from Steven and this is no exception, it is beautifully made and reasonably priced too. ( I won't post the cost as posts like this tend to linger, check with him for the current price.)

I took the option of making the poles myself which was not difficult and reduced the carriage costs considerably.

CLEM likes this.
  9. Wayland

Wayland Hárbarðr

You could certainly run a small fire under the awning if you wanted, I tend to prefer mine at a slight remove for safety but I would consider drawing it closer in foul weather.

10. MartinK9

MartinK9 Full Member

Very nice indeed.

Big Si likes this.
  11. Wayland

Wayland Hárbarðr

You should come and see us on a full Steam Tent Co-operative camp Martin, you'd love it.

Big Si likes this.
  12. Sundowner

Sundowner Full Member

So, how much are we talking about? Love to own a baker tent

13. Wayland

Wayland Hárbarðr

This was a custom made item with design modifications to my own spec so I don't know exactly how much his standard price is.

Even with those modifications I thought it was very reasonably priced though.

Get in touch with him, he's a great guy and he can give you a definite price.

14. Fin

Fin Settler

Formerly North Yorkshire now Galicia, Spain
    +1 on the photography and a very evocative set up! I half expect Henry Morton Stanley to emerge from the tree line and 'find' you - "Mr Waidson I presume."

May I suggest a title for the first shot? A common expression from my army days...

"Any idiot can be be uncomfortable!"

#14 Fin, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Wayland likes this.
  15. Wayland

Wayland Hárbarðr

Yes indeed and life is too short for ugly kit.

16. Deekin

Deekin Full Member

The place I took the picture of the lamp you recently acquired also has some beautiful period travel furniture, I'll get some pics on my next visit. I've always liked American civil war officers furniture, and there is some decent repo stuff available. (You'll probably know that anyway) :)

Wayland likes this.
  17. Hodge

Hodge Tenderfoot

For any of you with good heavy duty sewing machine skills, Simon a bloke in the woods recently made a Baker tent on his YouTube channel with excellent hints along the way.

hobbyman likes this.
  18. Wayland

Wayland Hárbarðr

It does look like a fairly straight forward construction.

As with all tent, getting the geometry right is the trick and this one is all simple planes really. ( Which also helps a lot when pitching it too. )

19. Janne

Janne M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)

You seems to be very well equipped, but (IMO) you are lacking a Telescope.
    On a tripod.
    Then your SteamTent is complete!
    :)

20. Wayland

Wayland Hárbarðr

The wooden tripod is supporting the camera at that moment ( I'm not kidding. ) and the telescope is in the Ditty Box although it's terrestrial rather than astronomical.