Poole Bay Baker Tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Had a second weekend out in my new Baker tent now so thought I'd give a little feed back on it.

Baker-Tent-I.jpg

I wanted something between a tarp set up for small mobile camps and the Bell tent for our larger static camps with the Steam Tent Co-operative.

When I saw the Baker tent that Steven from Poole Bay Bushcraft had put together for himself I thought I was on the right track. I didn't want the sewn in ground sheet or the midge netting that his had but the shape a flexibility was spot on. I requested a few minor modifications and placed my order.

Baker-Tent-II.jpg

It has a base footprint of 7'x7' with an awning the same size. There are two side walls to the awning which can be rolled up or attached to the awning for extra cover. The main shelter pitches away to a 2' wall at the back of the tent which provides a perfect place for a low camp bed. I use an old stretcher.

When pitched as you see it here. the awning provides a good admin space, sheltered but not closed in, so good for cooking with a stove for instance. I use it as an area to set up a couple of tables and my Chuck Box as I'm getting a bit too old for squatting on the floor like I used to.

I like it because I don't go camping to be shut up inside a tent and this gives me that openness but it could be closed up for privacy or against foul weather if really needed.

Here you see the awning roof supported with a flying line to the branches above but for field use I've since made a four pole "spider" with a wooden block in the centre. Somewhat like the roof supports of a Yurt if that makes sense. Sadly, I don't have a picture of that to show you yet.

For me, it's a perfect solution for when I'm working from a vehicle for a solo camp or meet-up.

Last edited:

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Looks a great piece of kit. A Baker is something I have been mulling over for a while now.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Looking good Wayland! I've always fancied making a Baker Tent since reading Bill Mason's book where he's published a design for what he calls the Campfire Tent.

Will we see it at the camp over the bank holiday?

Reactions: CACHERSQUIRREL

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It’s awesome. Your good photography helps, but there’s no getting away from where you are with your camping at the moment. I love the Baker tents, really nearly got a basic version a while ago. You’ve iced the cake with that set up, that’s a pic from another world of camping. :)

Reactions: Wayland and Billy-o

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've always admired old images of camping in the Victorian / Colonial age. I love some of the campaign furniture that turns up from time to time as well. I've collected bits and peices like this for years.

I guess I've been moving towards greater comfort on camp for a while and as my fitness declines with age I am more likely to be camping close to a vehicle now than I used to.

My recent shift towards "Old School" or "Steampunk" camping was largely catalysed by circumstances beyond my control but it does provide the perfect excuse to indulge myself with this kind of thing.

I'm having a thoroughly good time with it all.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Looks a great piece of kit. A Baker is something I have been mulling over for a while now.

I have been very impressed with the quality of the items I have purchased from Steven and this is no exception, it is beautifully made and reasonably priced too. ( I won't post the cost as posts like this tend to linger, check with him for the current price.)

I took the option of making the poles myself which was not difficult and reduced the carriage costs considerably.

Reactions: CLEM

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Looking good Wayland! I've always fancied making a Baker Tent since reading Bill Mason's book where he's published a design for what he calls the Campfire Tent.

Will we see it at the camp over the bank holiday?

You could certainly run a small fire under the awning if you wanted, I tend to prefer mine at a slight remove for safety but I would consider drawing it closer in foul weather.

+1 on the photography and a very evocative set up! I half expect Henry Morton Stanley to emerge from the tree line and 'find' you - "Mr Waidson I presume."

May I suggest a title for the first shot? A common expression from my army days...

"Any idiot can be be uncomfortable!"

Last edited:
Reactions: Wayland

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Yes indeed and life is too short for ugly kit.
The place I took the picture of the lamp you recently acquired also has some beautiful period travel furniture, I'll get some pics on my next visit. I've always liked American civil war officers furniture, and there is some decent repo stuff available. (You'll probably know that anyway) :)

Reactions: Wayland

Hodge

Forager
Aug 3, 2018
West Midlands
For any of you with good heavy duty sewing machine skills, Simon a bloke in the woods recently made a Baker tent on his YouTube channel with excellent hints along the way.

Reactions: hobbyman

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE