Nickname, Avatar placement

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
Hi all,

I've been working with VB for some time, and I personaly believe that the standart setting of having your Avatar the Nickname on the left side and
Join Date: Location Posts on the right side very confusinbg and the following excample of the other way around much better:
(see here for excample: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=245562 ).

It's a simple tick in the admincp ;) and I know out of personal experience quite tricky to find, I can have a look in my data were to find it but I personaly believe that it would be way better this way since it looks much tighter and compact.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Umm, i see what you're saying, I'm not sure it's been an issue though. I there's a few people that like the idea i can switch over for a trial period

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
The only problem I see is that with the advertising and menu columns we have it is something else that will reduce the width of the message box and also reduce the size of pictures you can display.

Not so much of an issue for those of use who follow the link from the email notifications ;)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
he he, if i just switch it over i'll have threads starting about the site playing up and people wondering if it's something they've done or something we've done :lmao:

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
I can confirm the tricky bit. I have just had a look for it on the cpanel of Song of the paddle and could not find it. Can you tell us where it is or PM me if you prefer.

I believe it was this:

Use Legacy (Vertical) Postbit Template - If you prefer the old-style postbit, using two vertical columns rather than the new horizontal layout, you can switch back to using that template with this switch. Please note that if you enable this option and wish to customize the template, you should edit the 'postbit_legacy' template rather than the 'postbit'.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Can I put in a plea for things to be left alone for a bit ?

You are probably not aware of all the changes we've had recently Nicolas, but some folks are in sore need of a bit of what's expected, rather than 'another' change.

cheers,
Toddy

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol

You are probably not aware of all the changes we've had recently Nicolas, but some folks are in sore need of a bit of what's expected, rather than 'another' change.

cheers,
Toddy
I agree Toddy, there are times to mess, and times to leave alone, I think this is one of those times, (though I'd like the rep system back as there are so many people who deserve the kudos of having rep.)

I like this layout,

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin

cheers,
Toddy

It's just a visual change, and in all respect every single board out there vbulltin or vbb or what ever has the same universal look regarding this.
It's way more tight and compact and allows you to see some info about the users you are chatting with much easier.
Vbulletin has the way it looks as a standart (god knows why) and the way around is tricky to find in the cp admin.
That is I believe on of the reason we still see it here, it absolutely makes no sense

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Me too; I know why the rep system was pulled, it was being grossly abused by very few individuals, but I do miss being able to quietly say thank you, or well done.

cheers,
Toddy

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Another vote for the rep system to be replaced as well.
Its not going to happen mate .... members didn't use it as it was intended (to rep good informative posts. Most rep was given for trades / buys etc ... even by people not taking part) and it was abused by many. The staff here had the brunt of it over moderation, but anyone agreeing with a mod was also rep'd down by people.

Never say never though .... I will bring it up at our next meeting and see what can be done to iron out the agro problems.

:)
Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
It's just a visual change, and in all respect every single board out there vbulltin or vbb or what ever has the same universal look regarding this.
It's way more tight and compact and allows you to see some info about the users you are chatting with much easier.
Vbulletin has the way it looks as a standart (god knows why) and the way around is tricky to find in the cp admin.
That is I believe on of the reason we still see it here, it absolutely makes no sense

We can have a look into this while we are working on the new forum build / upgrade, but i do think with having the BCUK frame on the left, then another column will cramp the posts up somewhat ..... especially for those posting images .... they'll end up scrolling across.

:D
Ed

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
especially for those posting images .... they'll end up scrolling across.

Which is something I can't do on my laptop as there are no scroll bars (on the desktop i just click the middle mouse button and drag) when the forum is in a frame.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I believe it was this:

Use Legacy (Vertical) Postbit Template - If you prefer the old-style postbit, using two vertical columns rather than the new horizontal layout, you can switch back to using that template with this switch. Please note that if you enable this option and wish to customize the template, you should edit the 'postbit_legacy' template rather than the 'postbit'.

Did not manage to follow that. If I was ticking an option I could follow it but i do not know how to change a template.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE