Hello everyone, looking forward to learning and sharing!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 15, 2010
Gloucestershire
My name is Harry, I live in Gloucestershire and I have always been passionate about the great outdoors.

Over the years I have been given pieces of kit by my father for roughing it outside. Although I have realised - there is no need to 'rough it'! I can see how people can have a really comfortable and rewarding time outside with a few basic tools and some time tested knowledge!

To cut to the short: my method of transport is a motorcycle - small engine but big enough to store a suprising amount of load. I will need to travel light and am wondering where I should continue this post to ask for advice on kit, locations and general skills. I hope I can return the favours with pictures, experiences and relaying the info on to others!

Thanks in advance :)

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hello harry welcome to the forum an ex biker, myself kids im afraid, cars bigger regards from over the bridge your close so hope we can get together for the odd camp out regards dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello and welcome....ex-biker myself....old injuries and the need to carry canoes around the country lead to my giving up bikes - but I still love em!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... my method of transport is a motorcycle ... need to travel light and am wondering where I should continue this post to ask for advice on kit, locations and general skills.

Welcome!

There's a great deal of experience here and people like to chat. Most of us, er, fall into two, er, camps which means either a hammock or a tent. I'm a tent user, largely because I think it's a bit easier to carry a tent, and to hide it. I've tried a hammock and didn't really get on with it but I probably did it all wrong. :)

For the rest, being a biker I tend to be a bit minimalist but if I go somewhere in the Jeep then things are different and I usually put an extra couple of PSI in the tyres. :)

Here's my current checklist for camping on a bike.

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/camping.2009.06.23.txt

I only really use it as an aid to a failing memory, and depending on where I'm going, which bike I'll be taking, how long I'm going for, what weather I expect to encounter and what I'll be doing on the way and when I get there I might choose to forgo some of the items, or for example switch the tent for a bivi bag.

As far as I'm concerned I need good protection from the elements (and from my fellow motorists on the journey) which means good bike kit. That isn't cheap. Things like a tent and a sleeping bag can be cheap, although I tend to go for cheap tents (I have several to choose from depending on circumstances) and a good sleeping bag (again I have several but most of the time I only use one, which is rated for fairly extreme cold but I can always sleep with the zip open :) ).

My stove will work fine at the summit of Everest but as far as I know it's never been there. To be perfectly honest it isn't even mine, it's the wife's, but I've sort of adopted it and she's never complained. She bought it in one of the junk shops when we were at the Barbican in Plymouth. I've tried a couple of times to get another one but it's something of an antique collectable and I need to try a bit harder.

The rest of my camping stuff is mostly things I've been given over the years or picked up in flea markets, charity shops, jumble sales, you name it. Most of the time I could manage with just my Victorinox multi-tool. A stainless mug is handy but I can easily empty a can of baked beans and use that. Although it isn't really on the list I have a Ghillie kettle, and although it's bulky I take it if I think I'll have the time to mess about with it and if I can find room for it.

I use a tank bag with a clear map pocket, but I couldn't read a map at that distance so I plan my route and write directions in large letters with a fat felt-tipped pen on a plain sheet of paper. If the bike I'm going on has a chain drive then I take a small contact lens bottle full of chain oil. The bit in the list that says "bunjees/cargo net" covers a multitude of things to tie things on/up/down/together/back/ with. I check everything over before I set off then just go. For the first few miles I run through what I think I'll be doing for the next few days. Years ago that very occasionally resulted in my turning round to get something I'd forgotten, but nowadays it's pretty well put to bed.

Try a couple of shakedown trips to some of the meets:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19

You'll be made very welcome.

Jul 15, 2010
Gloucestershire
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

@southey, I only have a 125 also, Honda Varadero. But physically its a big bike with a lot of storage options :)

@dave53, trekkingnut - let me know if there is anything going on in the area!

@ged - thanks for the wealth of info, I have got some reading to do!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Most of us, er, fall into two, er, camps which means either a hammock or a tent. I'm a tent user, largely because I think it's a bit easier to carry a tent, and to hide it. I've tried a hammock and didn't really get on with it but I probably did it all wrong.

Ged, trust me, it's much easier to conceal hammocks and camp where tents and even people don't like to go. Weight is down too and pack up and set up time isn't halved it's quartered. We need to talk.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
welcome1.gif

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hey Biker bear, thats my bike too! it's great for long distance trips, i tend to go really light when out on my bike, as with clothes i don't skimp on the safty but it has to be comfy for walking around in too, i only ever take a sleeping bag(buffalo, packs small and v warm) a bivvi bag, tarp and hammock, only one change of clothes if i'm staying in one place it's nice to change into something more comfy!

Jul 15, 2010
Gloucestershire
Im itching to take it somewhere and and camp out. I am looking for a hammock, do you know if DD Hammocks are worth a try? I will also need a decent sleeping bag - the buffalo's look good, I guess it would save buying two sleeping bags for different seasons. Do you need a bivvi if under a tarp?

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE