Head torches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

harry

BCUK Test Account
Jun 18, 2003
UK
Hi Guys and Girls :mrgreen:

Can I have some opinions on the best headlamp to get. I used to have a Petzl zoom, but alas it was nicked :banghead: So I am after a replacement.

Cheers

harry

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Not the same class as the zoom, but If you're into lightweights, I think Petzel have a new Tikka (the Tikka Plus), the old one was fixed in place, I think an annoyance for many, the new one can be tilted, also the new model has 3 power settings, insted of just on/off. I havent seen it about anywhere in the UK yet though.

D

darctus

Saw some in penrith survival on Sat.Much better than standard model adjustable,3 settings and more convenient switch.From memory about £5 more than standard tikka

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Just incase your interested :yikes: not that you have a choice!!

It's really hard to get manufacturers to give us headlamps for reviewing. I get told that bushcraft and wilderness travel people are not the type of group they aim their products at. Umm interesting think I and tell them that
50-100 ,000 people think otherwise. but they are still not fussed....

What think you guys, headlamp not for you? Only for climbers?

:soapbox: :mrgreen:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The Petzl Myo 3 or 5 is worth looking at. It has the advantages of the outdated zoom with new technology LEDs Nice lamp. Or for something light I would agree that the tikka plus is the one to get. Keep in mind though that there are some good offerings from the other companies such as Black Diamond, Princeton Tec etc.

D

darctus

Where did the figure of 50/100,000 people come from - just curious :- :-D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
darctus said:
Where did the figure of 50/100,000 people come from - just curious :- :-D

Research shows that there are about 60,000 people with an active interest in bushcaft and survival in the UK, then there are the industry people that teach, the wider range of students such as scouts, cadets etc The walkers, campers, boaters etc etc

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
most things come under the umbrella of bushcraft when it comes to the wilderness. 4x4 driving, navigation, scrambling, foraging, walking, mountaineering etc.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Harry,
I've used the petzl zoom (still have a couple) around camp, yachting and on the hill. Headtorches are the only way to go when you need your hands free - even if you do look like a Dalek. Reminds me of one friend's comment the first time she ever saw the petzl - "I've never seen anything so stupid looking but totally practical!"

But to be fair, the beam from the old petzl zoom is poor, it's heavy and the 4.5v flat batteries a pain to find if you don't plan in advance.

Buying a replacement today I'd go for a lightweight, long life LED head torch with AA or AAA batteries. I've heard good reports of the black diamond models. If you need a stronger beam too, I'd get a separate surefire light rather than a petzl combi headtorch. Surefire's 6p isn't much bigger than a mini maglight, but is like having a car headlight in your pocket when you need to pick out a route, landmark or whatever at a distance. The surefire takes expensive lithium batteries, but if you have an economical LED light for most jobs, 60 mins runtime from the surefire goes a long way.

PS anyone else ever tried that "nite-ize" headband that holds a mini maglite? If you already have a maglite, there's a nice LED conversion for it from opalec.

Cheers, Alick

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The only downside I can see from the black diamond, is the batteries are at the back of your head - which may make it a little uncomfortable if you are lying against something, using the headtorch for reading. The new Tikka plus wins in this area, especially as there is now a "dim" setting, for reading, even longer battery life etc, while the bright setting, is plenty bright enough for foraging around in the dark, hiking etc. Like Alick says, backed up with a superbright surefire (G2 would be my choice), all your bases are very well covered.

D

darctus

Sorry but I still don't understand the research.Taking the example of sailors you mention.Most sailing I have done in the last few years has been with the assistance of very high tech equipment.Also if you if you include sailors the figure is far too low.The same comments apply to mountaineering.

Also there is the point that if there really was a mkt. of 100,00 peoplle some publisher would surely produce a magazine.Where did this research come from?

harry

BCUK Test Account
Jun 18, 2003
UK
Thanks for all the information guys, although reading through this there seems to be two threads going. One that should be here and another that should be goodness knows where :nono:

Tony - do you mean that some of the people that enjoy sailing and mountaineering are interested in bushcraft as well, but not all of them? I think that you mentioned something about this before. OK, sorted :super:

Anyway, I am looking at the tikka but I am still not sure about the beam distance and the superbright would be fantastic if it were cheaper and lasted longer :-| maybe I'm just a bit tight :mrgreen: any other options?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
harry said:
Thanks for all the information guys, although reading through this there seems to be two threads going. One that should be here and another that should be goodness knows where :nono:

Tony - do you mean that some of the people that enjoy sailing and mountaineering are interested in bushcraft as well, but not all of them? I think that you mentioned something about this before. OK, sorted :super:

Sorry about the double thread. Last comments on it :soapbox: :rolmao: Your about right Harry :You_Rock_ . The idea is that there is a lot of cross over from other sports into bushcraft. Walkers can slow down a bit and learn a bit more about the fauna around them. Climbing is a skill, mountaineering is a skill as are all the other outdoor pursuits. They are undertaken by people that enjoy the outdoors. Some of those people will want to expand their knowledge into natural history, firelighting, shelter building etc etc. Some will not.
The idea behind bushcraft is living comfortably in the wilderness and so many bushcrafters know how to climb, they are experienced mountaineers. It is purely a crossover of skills and interests.

The research is mine and it encompasses the different spheres of expertise found in the wilderness. It would be impractical to say that every mountaineer and every climber and every tom dick and harry (no offence :wink: ) are what should make up the figures. Hey I may be wrong :yikes: But, the statement was used as an example of how hard it is to get stuff from some manufacturers. That was the point. If you would like to come up with some of your own figures for the representation of bushcraft (in all it's aspects from fungi pickers to spearfishing to spoon carving etc) then go ahead.

I was speaking to a guy tonight that teaches bushcraft and survival skills to children, military, scouts and people off the street. He knows thousands of people that he classes continuously learning bushcraft/survival and that's just one bloke and some employees.

Waffle waffle waffle. Sorry about that. bushcraft is not just those that go into the woods and rub sticks together.
:aargh4: :rolmao:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
back in the days before the mortgage an' all that i used to buy a petzl headlamp every once in while, find i still couldn't stand 'em tunnel vision) and give 'em away. i've had a princeton tech aurora for quite a while now, nearly a year, and it's great. waterproof to waaaaay deeper than you could go without tanks and runs off three AAA cells. it has five modes. high, med, low, slow flash and fast flash.

unlike the annoying bike lights where you cycle through the modes until you miss the off bit. if the lights been on for more than a couple of seconds the next press of the button turns it straight off. much less frustrating.

also has adjustable tilt. cracking piece of kit. bit spendy though.

cheers, and

robs

Sep 3, 2003
Gloucestershire
I've had and used both Petzel and Black diamond; I have found Black Diamond to be my favoured choice.

Lighter weight and compact
More comfortable for extended wear
Good light output

My favourite torch in the field is the USA army issue right angle torch, D cell batteries give it a very long run time (slightly shorter when you but Maglight bulbs), comes complete with filters (great to protect night vision) and a spare bulb in the tail cap. Lastly it cost less then £20 new.

Rob :-D

J

Jamie

Hiya All

Has anyone had any experience with the Streamlight Septor?

Cheers

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
For the Wood's a Princeton Tec Yukon HL seems about perfect - 1 Watt LED and 3 Regular LED's.
Just the right amounts of light for forest useage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE