GPS Waypoints, where do you get yours

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

marra33

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2016
Cumbria lake district
Hi guys,
I recently got a handheld GARMIN GPS ii PLUS from ebay, changed the internal watch style battery, and new AA batteries in it, works like a charm, took me a while 2+ walks at least to suss out how to use it properly.
question is, where do you guys get your waypoints from when using handheld GPS, do you have to faff about old school style like I do with mine, or does yours have inbuilt maps, that you just stick a flag in ?, do I need to spend more money, and order more things from ebay......when the wife is at work, so she doesnt see "another useless bit of crap" coming in, or am I using decent stuff for the princely sum of £2.20 that I paid for the unit.
ps, I get my waypoints from here http://www.doogal.co.uk/LatLong.php
just incase anyone else has the same problem, I tried getting them from the OS maps, but they work in grid refrences, and I couldnt be on with drawing lines all over my maps for the lat and long from there

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
Have a look in the menus - all the Garmin GPS handhelds that I've used have the ability to use OS grid references rather than WGS84 lat/long. There is a cable that will link the unit up to a PC and allow you to send waypoints to the GPS from mapping software on the PC, but from a quick look I think you'd end up paying considerably more than you did for the GPS itself!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I tend to plot my routes on gpsies.com, then upload the GPX to the GPSr.

Else I transfer the coordinates by hand having read them "off the map" via the viewranger app on my phone. Crude but it works.

J

marra33

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2016
Cumbria lake district
Yeah I have an old gps unit, and no lead to connect it to pc, so all done manually for me too, right ball ache, but hey, it works, just wondered if other people had other sites they use for the lat and long, but that one works well enough for me, also, just found out that the OS maps on my tablet gives me lat and long, if I hold my finger on the screen for a couple of seconds, it drops a pin with lat and long, and grid ref, so that could be handy to

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE