Childrens lost Independence

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikesmith777

Nomad
Feb 17, 2013
Clacton on Sea
Another article from the Daily Mail, which highlights how attitudes to children's independence has changed over the years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ost-right-roam-generations.html#ixzz1ywZBP0EF

As a boy growing up on a council estate on the outskirts of London in the 60's and 70's, I seemed to have quite a lot of independence and was allowed to play unsupervised in the local park and cycle some distances. That's not to say my parents didn't care, they always wanted to know where I was going and who I was with.
This developed my love of the Outdoors, which I have never lost.
But to be fair when my own boys where growing up in the 80's and 90's, I know, I didn't allow them the freedom that I had.

I know things have changed, more traffic and other threats, but it does seem a shame that all that has to be lost and I believe our children are now losing out.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
they only lose it if their parents take it,my kids have the freedoms i had in the 70's,my kids only come home for meals if its dry out and if they take some kit they make a fire in the fields or lanes and cook their own.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
It's hard to go back in time, you have to live now, but I do agree that we are losing touch with the natural world and that being out in nature is essential to our well-being.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I know things have changed, more traffic and other threats, but it does seem a shame that all that has to be lost and I believe our children are now losing out.

Traffic is the main threat. We rode our bikes everywhere in the 70's - helmetless on traffic free roads. We played football in the street. My Mother lives in the same street still and there are double parked cars and a constant traffic flow. Now the fields we played in are surrounded by barbed wire fences and the woods we went to have become the local council offices. And there are far more kids in the village than there were in the 70's. On the other hand, we didn't have access to Playstations and Wiis and suchlike so there wasn't so much competition indoors in terms of using your leisure time. And I don't remember getting nearly the amount of homework kids get set these days (often demanded by "pushy" parents).

Kids do tons of things these days - in fact they often have access to activities we never had. The difference is that they are organised by adults, often cost money and require parents to ferry them back and forth between them. It is understandable that parents want "safe" activities and environments for their children - and it gives the someone to sue if it all goes wrong. As the article claims, it is the independence that is lacking, and from this come self-reliance and ingenuity. The perception of danger rather than evidence of real threats is what influences parents' choices.

However, all is not lost. Having taken kids on school camps for donkey's years I find it encouraging that they quickly regain this independence. When there is "downtime" between organised activities they are, at first, at a loss to use it but by the end of the week it is the non-organised time they enjoy the most - whether it is to play football, climb trees or chat each other up... (Of course it helps that there is no electricity and phones and psps are banned!)

Finally - can't help thinking it is a little ironic that this should be in the Mail - champions of the blame culture and constantly warning us how dangerous it is to step outside your front door...(try this for a laugh (unless you swear by the DM): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI )

Last edited:

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Couldn't agree more with what has been said. You can do whatever you want, as long as you abide by the rules. Being a new parent I am yet to do this with my own offspring, however I will be very conscious about what limits I put on my children. There also has to be a healthy amount of trust and respect. Both traits I hope to build in to my children so they can be educated to make the right decisions when the occasions arise.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE