A week on foraged wild food.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Starting tomorrow I am doing a foraged food week, while living in the comfort of my own home. It leads on from the threads about the man that died tryng to live off the land in the scotish highlands. I am doing it mainly to help those that wish to go to the wilds and live off the land. It is to show it is not easy to live off the land, it is very hard work. Hopefully the recipes and the vareity of foods that i eat will be knowlegde that will be helpful to others. Also on personal level it is good to pressure test skills and i know been hungry makes you quite sharp for spotting wild food resources. i should also get a bit fitter and lose start to lose the podge a bit aswell.

I live 8 miles from the sea, so it is 16-20 mile round cycle trip to get the plentiful food that is there. This month is the hardest to find wild food, but there is still stuff out there. I will be using some food that has been foraged that I have stored. I have three kilos of hazelnuts in their shells, quite a bit of fruit leather and some acorn flour. I also have a freezer, a shower and warm bed to sleep in. I dont aim to break the law, all the roots will come from where I have permission to dig them up, the rest is under collected common law.

The cheats I am going to do are stock cubes or marmite. When I have done this before I lived in the midlands where the wild food obviously has no salt, I might be ok here, But i cant see seaweed providing enough to prevent issues. If i get a craving for butter I will have some, as fat and fat soluble vitamins is quite low in most wild foods, although there is quite a bit in hazelnuts.

Last edited:

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Good luck Xylaria,
looking forward to seeing how you get on.Hard time of the year to try this but then it will show a good test of your knowledge.:)

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Excellent, good luck to you!

I'd love to see a rundown of what you ate everyday, at the end. Providing you're still alive of course.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Me too. Having to go miles to get "easy" food is one thing, being sat at home with the cupboard full or a dominos just a phone call away, is another!

I suspect this will be more a test of will than ability to adequately nourish on foraging

Good luck :)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
If you can get to the sea there should be loads of food this time of year. Xylaria from previous threads you obviously are an expert on wild food, so I'm sure you'll be fine. Mussels are at their best now in winter and seaweeds. Young Alexanders, fennel, buckhorn plantain etc, etc. I foraged a few days ago and got 2 queen scallops that had been washed up on the rocks and winkles and mussels, limpets. Nettles are fresh now, Shore (green) crabs can be eaten, prawns and shrimps. I highly recommend Grandmother's Secrets ISBN 0140462295 - not so much for food ,but medicinal and body care.....going cheap on Amazon. A very good book. Pants for ID but excellent for remedies and SOME food ideas. Good luck anyway. Personally I reckon winter is not a problem to gather food. It's harder than other seasons but certain foods are MORE safe and available now.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Oh forgot to mention- The bible of seafood is Alan Davidsons - North Atlantic Seafood - http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Atlan...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327589318&sr=1-1 Great book. For foraging it's very interesting. I've lived by the sea as a kid and always thought (for example) weavers, shore (green) crabs, pouting, ballan wrasse etc were inedible, but Mr Davidsons book will enlighten you differently. Excellent book.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE