Dartmoor 4 " Return Of Te Wood Smoke "...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I had last night in the metropolis, and back on the moor tomorrow , its already arranged for the ponies to graze the site for about 6 weeks , and i am not too sure as to the availability for the remainder of this year , and for that matter next !! But i will use my diplomatic skills to sort something out ..

Not to worry i am working on a couple of alternatives, one only 4 miles from the usual , i will post details when sorted , as for your question , you know me any excuse for a meet ...
What do you think peeps one more before year end ? and someone suggested a Christmas one !!

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
Howdy All,

Thanks for an awesome meet and letting Chris join us - we both could have stayed all week. The weather, company and activities all contributed to a memorable weekend.

Some of these will be posted in the 'out and about' page too. Also, Chris pics will be added either by me or by himself.

Did some one say 'bacon?!'
IMG_4951.jpg

Thanks Big Al for your wicked food, in all honesty I ate better than the majority of restaurants I've been to!
Minestrone with bruschetta and balsamic reduction.
IMG_4981.jpg

Smoked pork shoulder, marinated Cajun style provided by Alastair.
IMG_4953.jpg

Finished off in the Hangi oven, sliced and put into wraps with lettuce and coriander vinegarette.
IMG_4985.jpg

Paul's spicy chicken, cooked perfectly:
IMG_4983.jpg

Ivan & Alastair guided tour of the moor to Pupers Hill and Huntingdon Barrow. Great views and commentary from the guides. I'm sure some one said something about a potato cave...
IMG_4965.jpg

IMG_4972.jpg

Thanks to Darren (Kard183) for bringing down a selection of sharps and giving his experience and advice. They must have weighed an absolute tonne.
IMG_4979.jpg

A few of the set ups:
My Vango Tempest 200. Great little tent and easy to put up in the dark on Friday night!
IMG_4991.jpg

IMG_4962.jpg

I think the tarp is a bit over kill on this one....
IMG_4957.jpg

Thanks Ivan for sorting it all out, you're a true legend.

Joel

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Lovely pics Joel, glad you and Chris could make it , i had forgotten just how well we had eaten .

The overkill tarp is because i never ever believe the met office !!
Take care mate , and am itching to see Chris' photies , IT WILL !! HAPPEN AGAIN !!

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
I would be very grateful for any photos of me doing anything remotely bushcrafty, that anyone took to help me with my coursework, which I am now writing up and illustrating. Knots, three legged stool, cooking, sharpening, in my shelter (using the term MY rather loosely) etc. Please PM me for my email address. Can't remember everyone who took photos. Dave - I think you said you had that pic of me with lit tinder in my hands from the last meet, the one I can't get off the forum. Want to get the course finished ASAP for reasons that you all know (because I kept on about it all of the time!!!!)

Foxy - left a pound coin for the chocolate on the log bench then forgot to tell you it was there. If you saw one, it was yours!

Love all of the photos everyone has taken. Thanks for sharing your own best moments - like the food!

Still soooo disappointed that everyone was asleep on my arrival of course...some traumatic moments like that stay with you for life....but hopefully with a few years of therapy I might learn to trust again. x

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
Well I for one am still on for the Christmas day meet and as discussed I have found a bucket and chain to deep fry the turkey of course any meets between now an then always a bonus. As for moments that traumatise you for life most of us are that way with the camp fire stories and topics lol
Can't wait to see all you guys again real soon it's all one big bushcraft happy family

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
Christmas day sounds like a great idea. I am yet to be convinced that it is a good idea to deep fry a turkey - but always willing to have my mind changed, could be quite a spectacle at the very least. Rick hauling away on a series of chains, pulleys and wheels forming some huge Heath Robinson contraption is what comes to mind.

Agree totally about the big bushcraft happy family.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Dear Lucy , i have apologised on numerous occasions, for various camp members being fast asleep, eagerly awaiting your arrival .
I have had a full internal enquiry , as to the full reasons behind an unforgiveable error, although the findings will not be published , in my defence as camp spokesman, the following was found , spending all day erecting your luxurious accomodation, with tented backup , strimming your garden oh yes record temperatures , and maybe a little lager , i will ensure that it never happens agian, and also a special Dartmoor counselling session has been sorted for you to become , de traumatised and normal again.
Your best attention at all times Ivan ... (camp commandant)

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
somewhat embarressed here, not only could i not make it again, but despite repatedly saying to myself to come nad post to say as much and offer my apologies and best wishes for you all to have a good weekend, i didnt even get to that

did mention to Mandi that i wouldnt be able to make it, maybe she remembered this and did mention it to you Ivan? though of course, not her place to have done so but mine

so sorry that i didnt get there, sorry i have been so rude as to not offer my apologies before hand but so glad that you all had fantastic weather and what sounds like another great meet

next time, hell or high water, will be there (subject to invites still being open of course)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Jon , no need to apologise mate i know if it had of been possible you would have been there, And Mandi did remember to tell me , but saved it till late as she knew i would be in tears!
There is always next time ..

And while we are on the subject can we all spare a thought for Wildthing and son , and Mayobushcraft who couldnt make it ...

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
lol, you are a gent sir :)

will get this in early, i will not be able to make a christmas day meet, it is christmas and most importantly, it is also my birthday :D

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
i will ensure that it never happens agian, and also a special Dartmoor counselling session has been sorted for you to become , de traumatised and normal again.
Your best attention at all times Ivan ... (camp commandant)

If the planned dartmoor counselling session involves a big fire, good company and some absinthe - I reckon we can be assured of an immediate recovery.:)

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
I am afraid that you and big Al and a few others have now finished the last of the absinthe all to Adams displeasure so it's Jack D only from hence forth sorry all lol

MandiMoo

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 6, 2011
Torquay
count me in for the counselling session, although i'll pass on the absinthe lol, spending my days sanding and oiling Burls, will be off picking hip and haws and other assorted berries to make 'Foragers jam' and i'm buying gin tomorrow for the sloes :eek:) it'll be ready for xmas hopefully either that or TBL is gonna get some interesting vinegar lol, this weekend has inspired me beyond belief and i cant wait to see you all again soon x

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Afternoon, back up top today , the weather stinks on ice !! , I worked all day yesterday on an alternative site for a possible meet before 2011 expires , and have found us a lovely spot , on the edge of Dartmoor still, so if any of you are up for another weekend let me know, safe parking , gentle half mile stroll, clean running water , beautiful scenery, etc , etc , and no charge !!
And as the realistic chance of a Christmas meet is going to be difficult for most , thought there might be some interest , so its going to be easier to post when is NOT ! suitable , so as we can possibly put a weekend together .

Its only 4 miles from mine and quite easy to find . So if there is enough feedback i will put the wheels in motion .
I will deal with location etc by pm . Ivan...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE