socks socks socks!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Thanks for that Ogri.

Edited to add - that's a great article, I'm going to try that. Cheers.

Liam

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I've just bought a pair of hemp socks. Quite lightweight so I hope they'll be hard wearing.

Last edited:

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I buy mine in the "reduced to clear" section of T K Maxx. Down from idiotically high prices to just about my budget.

The missus knitted me a pair but they don't fit as good as these modern socks with Lycra. I use them as slippers. :rolleyes:

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
well they will be trekking socks but as ill be trekking everyday they will be every day socks :p good links there, may have tae root around deeper in my wallet now ¬¬ ordered a pair of those cheap merinos i posted a link to will see if they are any good but look too fine for me. we shall see

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The best socks I have yet to review for my magazine columns have to be the Smartwool ones ...I have worn them through jungle, desert and mountain terrain, canoeing and everyday wear and while they are not overly cheap they are value for money - I have a couple of pairs that are over 5 years old!
OK as they get older they get downgraded to canoeing (where warmth and comfort when my feet are not getting much exercise scores over cushioning) but for year round comfort you cannot beat them!
If you cannot wear wool - and Smartwool are Merino so "non itchy" - then the 5.11 are very comfortable and less "sweaty" than most synthetics I have tried...

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
I wear army surplus socks. The second-hand ones I wore with thin cotton socks as liners until they'd been through the wash SEVERAL times. Quite often my local store will do three pairs for a fiver.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Really, I didn't have a great deal of luck with the Smartwools, amazingly comfortable for the first few weeks but then got so flat that they lost all cushioning and started to rub.

The best socks I have yet to review for my magazine columns have to be the Smartwool ones ...I have worn them through jungle, desert and mountain terrain, canoeing and everyday wear and while they are not overly cheap they are value for money - I have a couple of pairs that are over 5 years old!
OK as they get older they get downgraded to canoeing (where warmth and comfort when my feet are not getting much exercise scores over cushioning) but for year round comfort you cannot beat them!
If you cannot wear wool - and Smartwool are Merino so "non itchy" - then the 5.11 are very comfortable and less "sweaty" than most synthetics I have tried...

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Is the wee shop before the lights on the Glasgow road not open anymore?
Although i love my artic socks with their wee red stripe, a trip to the barras, led to some news pairs.
Wee stall next to the darts stall in the actual barrowland building itself, up the back the gent also does a wide pattern of bunnets ala Pa Broon.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Is the wee shop before the lights on the Glasgow road not open anymore?
Although i love my artic socks with their wee red stripe, a trip to the barras, led to some news pairs.
Wee stall next to the darts stall in the actual barrowland building itself, up the back the gent also does a wide pattern of bunnets ala Pa Broon.

That's good - I'm looking for a new bunnet. Changing from the Fidel Castro look to the "Ted the labourer" look from the Fast Shows' Ted and Ralph characters this season.

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE