False Idols

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
You sit there on a computer, most likely in a electrically lit and heated house and you bleat on about wasting natural resources?
Think about that and stop trolling.

Winning quote. Pure internet Gold slap down. Made my day. Cheers.

Rob Tangtent

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2009
Warwickshire
thing is, im sure he is very good at what he does. but i hate his TV series, all the way through you barely learn anything bar a couple of historic facs.

every episode is pretty much the same, hes always banging on about the same thing and its kinda gets boring.

anyway my opinion on the best guy to look up to as a bushcrafting idol is a bloke off youtube called fredde, his screenname is hobbexp.

In my opinion he's far better than Ray

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
hobbexp.

He di an amazing bow and arrow demonstration - was very enjoyabel, and then a testing video. well worth dropping by his channel to have a look.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
hobbexp.

He di an amazing bow and arrow demonstration - was very enjoyabel, and then a testing video. well worth dropping by his channel to have a look.

i'l seccond that! very skilled
also andy price, the guy who did the A to Z of bushcraft, another one well worth watching:)

pete

Rob Tangtent

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2009
Warwickshire
hobbexp.

yes, have you seen his videos about making a bow drill fire with damp wood, or making a bow drill fire in the rain...
thats very cool!

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
yeah I enjoy flicking through his youtube channel - very educational and can pick up some 'no frills' real living skills.

Also, he has a 'favorite' saved about kite fishing. I used it off a boat in the loch and it works better than any fishing trick i have ever seen - period.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
also andy price, the guy who did the A to Z of bushcraft, another one well worth watching:)

pete

Ah - the man who did a multi-page magazine article on how to turn an office filing cabinet into a camp oven......
But redeemed himself with his BG take off vid!

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
I'm amused by this thread but it does beg the general question ... do you spend too much time reading/watching/surfing the net for 'bushcraft' instead of actually getting out and putting all these skills (some of which you will never need) into practice?

Ray Mears god? probably not .. but he is damn good at communicating his vast knowledge.

Incidently, the question isn't aimed at anyone in particular .. but you do need to ask yourself it sometimes, I know I have.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
******************************** BREAKING NEWS **************************************

Ray Mears is just a human being that has to make a living just like the rest of us.

I like his programs and I also think he's done a lot for the public perception of what we do, but I don't think he's god. Heck I don't even think "God" is god for that matter.

I think this personality worship lark is wearing pretty thin in my opinion.

I'm sure if you met him out of the public arena he would turn out to be just an ordinary guy with a good knowledge of his chosen interest. I'm sure he's just the sort of person I would get on well with sat round a fire with a pint.

So what, I meet people like that in just about every walk of life, I'm sure you, reading this now, have an equally good knowledge in some field you are interested in. I'm sure you don't feel god like because of it do you?

One of the things that has been a constant source of enjoyment to me when attending meet ups has been the skill and enthusiasm demonstrated even by people who consider themselves to be "newbies"

The sooner people realise that gods don't exist the better off we'll all be as far as I'm concerned.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
A couple of things have occured to me.
Firstly, he has that saw blade in a tin. He then goes on to make a saw handle for it USING ANOTHER SAW! Which begs the question, why does he bother making a saw when he already has one!?

I guess it's to show how to make the saw handle, it could have been made using a single saw blade, but that's more time consuming, more effort and your more likely to cut yourself.

The other reason, going from memory wasn't this was a community working together? how to borrow a saw and make your own if one has broken. Or, possibly more likely, how to make a saw handle for someone else so they don't break yours ;)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
******************************** BREAKING NEWS **************************************

Ray Mears is just a human being that has to make a living just like the rest of us.

I like his programs and I also think he's done a lot for the public perception of what we do, but I don't think he's god. Heck I don't even think "God" is god for that matter.

I'm sure if you met him out of the public arena he would turn out to be just an ordinary guy with a good knowledge of his chosen interest. I'm sure he's just the sort of person I would get on well with sat round a fire with a pint.

So what, I meet people like that in just about every walk of life, I'm sure you, reading this now, have an equally good knowledge in some field you are interested in. I'm sure you don't feel god like because of it do you?

One of the things that has been a constant source of enjoyment to me when attending meet ups has been the skill and enthusiasm demonstrated even by people who consider themselves to be "newbies"

The sooner people realise that gods don't exist the better off we'll all be as far as I'm concerned.

I am the God of snoring...;)
and you know it ...

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
All I can say is:

I like bushcraft. It fits with my own way of looking at the environment that I am in. I enjoy moving through a natural place seeing the resources around me (even if not using them at the time). I like to leave a place as pristine as it was when I found it - Leave no trace.

I have met Ray only briefly and he seems to be the same person in life as he does on TV.

I have met someone who has travelled with him at length and he said that Ray is genuine and has a great sense of humour (I think the phrase "always making things" was part of the description too!).

He knows far more about bushcraft than I do, probably than I will ever do.

Idol? god? no neither and he would find that laughable. A respected teacher who I would be happy to learn from? Personally yes.

Just my 2ps worth.
Cheers,
Steve

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Jeesh...
Guys, some of you take yourselves, and bushcraft, a tad too seriously. Lighten up.
My original post wasn't 'trolling' or anything else. It was just a light-hearted flippant comment; as I thought the follow up Bear Grylls endorsement would demonstrate. Clearly not for some of our self-righteous, sanctimonious members.
If anyone else reads this thread and has got this far, then please don't take my original comments seriously. Respond how you like to others though.
Shall we move on to gun ownership as well...?

No i'm RM
And while i sit here in the yurt that tops off my Blofeld style lair (with helipad, under ground railway and imprisoned bond girl in a bikini) wearing yet another expensive wristwatch bought on the proceeds of selling equipment in my overpriced shop, any of you mortals who dare to take my name in mirth will be set upon by my army of internet defender TROLLS. I the mighty RM have spoken.

pay no attention to the chubby man from lewisham behind the curtain.
:BlueTeamE

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
Why do we always have to analyse everything, why not watch the programme for what it is an interesting and entertaining tv show, it doesn't really matter whether you prefer Ray Mears or Bear Grylls watch whichever one you want and enjoy it for what it is, neither shows are lectures on survival or bushcraft, and neither presenters should be classed as anything other than human beings who have had lucky breaks and ended up on tv. Don't be over analytical and just enjoy the shows, if you don't like what you see turn it off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE