Good decision

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Before Christmas novembreRain made a couple of posts on this forum and showed some of his work. I contacted him and asked him to make a 'working knife' for me, to my design. If you have ever opened a parcel and thought, "that is exactly what I wanted" then you will know my feelings when my knife arrived.
001-1.jpg

The bottom knife was given to me before my first voyage as a 16 year old deckboy, the top knife is a Lowen-Messer seaman's knife which I've carried for a few years as I'm afraid of losing my original knife. Sentimental that's me..:)
The Brazilian machete I've altered slightly with a piece of leather and some mild steel strip from B&Q to give hand protection. It stays on board and is not used for cutting undergrowth.
002.jpg
003.jpg

And this is the knife novembreRain made for me, although my photography doesn't do it justice. Beautifully made, heavy, robust and will never see the inside of a drawer or locker.:D
004-1.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg

The last photo shows my two knives, with half a Century between them..:D
Just for the record, the navigational Dividers are 7 inch and my parallel rule is 16 inch.
The handle is oak, there you go..bit of an old patriot me..a piece of English Oak goes wherever my wanderings take me.

I expect a future conversation may run.."that's a nice knife" and the reply may well be, "yep, it was made especially for my Great Grandad"

Thanks Richard, I am absolutely delighted with the knife, it is precisely what I wanted.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Thanks John, I'm pleased you like it. I must admit at times I wondered why on earth I'd subjected myself to the challenge but now that it's all done and, more importantly, you're happy with it, I must admit I enjoyed the job.

I hope you have many a successful trip together.

Regards. Richard

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Now you're getting technical..:D, Allen I just asked novembreRain to make it from carbon steel not stainless, and he hardened it to make a fine cutting edge without being too brittle. Hopefully he'll come back and give you a more intelligent answer..

Allen

Jan 5, 2006
Cumbria
Now you're getting technical..:D, Allen I just asked novembreRain to make it from carbon steel not stainless, and he hardened it to make a fine cutting edge without being too brittle. Hopefully he'll come back and give you a more intelligent answer..

Chortle.. Intelligent enough for me! :D
Good steel, bit more love needed than stainless if used on deck at sea, but thats half the fun :rolleyes: .. ta, al

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE