A couple of days at home. (Picture heavy.)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Fantastic photo's have you ever thought of doing this for a living!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry only kidding but they realy are very good

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Inflict as many of these on us as you like mate. :)

I am surprised you find it more difficult to photograph places you know well. I remember looking at some of your photos quite a while ago of a breakwater at dawn where you had returned each day foe several mornings, I loved them. I like to see the same view changing over time with different light and seasons.

I find Andy Goldsworthy inspiring in that. He often returns to the same stream or tree and does a new sculpture in the same place. When shown together at the end of a year they are simply stunning.

I do return to the same spot to rephotograph a location but usually they are places away from home.

I think part of the problem is that when I am at home I'm not thinking about taking pictures, usually while I'm away from home I've got my camera with me and I'm actively looking for pictures.

Part of the reason for getting the new camera was to make sure I've got that with me a bit more so hopefully I'll get a bit more stuff closer to home.

I like Andy Goldsworthy's sculptures as well, there was a good exhibition a while back at the YSP which we went to.

Have you seen Chris Drury's work?

Fantastic photo's have you ever thought of doing this for a living!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry only kidding but they really are very good

I did work as a photographer for a while a few years back, the problem is that clients often don't want the same as you do and often don't even know what they want anyway.

Now I take the pictures I want in the time I want to take over it. Works for me. :dunno:

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
hells bells there are ausome wayland and if you fancy teaching me how to do such master pieces well feel free

also i agree with the person who said you should have your own photo shop/page on this web site because your piccys are ausome

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Thanks for looking everyone.

I've just been up there again tonight, regrettably without my camera, and been treated to the view over Manchester lit up with the most amazing crepuscular sunlight I've seen in years.

It's the sort of light we used to call "God beams" when we were little-uns.

Anyone else see them tonight?

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
Wayland
Fantastic pictures, just what xmas should look like (but rarely does). Thanks for taking the time to upload your "experiences".
ATB
Moab

P

paintballvern

Lovely pics wayland i'm suitably inspired, great web site too! lets have some more........

stewpot

On a new journey
Dec 26, 2008
cheshire
Wayland,
where did you study photography, or is it just a gift? You have a real eye for composition, something many miss (myself included) whilst messing about with focus & settings etc.
Can I ask what camera/ lens you use, I think you then work on the image, is that on a MAC?

So many questions, you really are an interesting chap. What would be your recommendations for a good / starter level digital, i'm still on an old steam driven
35mm Pentax MX.

regards
stew

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wayland,
where did you study photography, or is it just a gift? You have a real eye for composition, something many miss (myself included) whilst messing about with focus & settings etc.
Can I ask what camera/ lens you use, I think you then work on the image, is that on a MAC?

So many questions, you really are an interesting chap. What would be your recommendations for a good / starter level digital, i'm still on an old steam driven
35mm Pentax MX.

regards
stew

I did study photography in the eighties at Gloucester but that was Advertising / Editorial and was mostly studio and darkroom based.

Having said that, I don't think I learned much about "composition" there as looking at the work I was doing before the course and after there was very little difference really.

I think the most important thing is to look at pictures, lots of pictures, and decide for yourself what it is you like about them and then do something similar yourself.

I'm not saying make direct copies or plagiarizing, but work in the same style for a while. Slowly but surely a style of your own will emerge by which time you'll know what you are after without even thinking about it any more.

I've always thought that the particular camera brand of model is unimportant beyond a certain point they are all pretty good really.

My new camera is a Canon G10 compact and the first six pictures above were taken, handheld on that. The snow shots were taken on a Canon 5D SLR with a tripod.

I favour wide angle lenses. My widest is 17mm on a full frame 35mm sensor but I have the capability to go to 400mm with an almost complete range if needed.

Far more important is the use of a tripod or some other method of steadying the camera. It's not just about allowing you to use slower shutter speeds, a tripod really makes you think about your photography, which helps your composition a lot.

I do work on my pictures a little, firstly they are shot in "raw" so they need to be converted anyway, but in doing so you gain some additional control over quality issues.

I also use Photoshop to give me the level of control that I used to enjoy in the darkroom. Despite rumours to the contrary, Photoshop will not transform a mediocre shot into a masterpiece but it can be an important step towards getting the best out of your images. In practice, most of my pictures only require a little contrast control or colour balancing to reach their potential and that can be achieved with very simple and inexpensive software these days. I work on a PC but a lot of photographers do like Macs for some reason, I've never tried one so can't comment.

If you've got a Pentax, why not look at the Pentax DSLRs ? I think I'm right in saying that some of the manual focus lenses can be used on the new bodies.

In the end I think the only recommendation I could make is try to handle a few different cameras, find out what you prefer. Most photographers or salesmen will swear that the brand they use is the best, but there really is no evidence for that. I've seen extraordinary pictures taken with just about any camera you could mention, including your Pentax MX

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Love them you certainly have a keen eye are the shots of the trees in B&W or have you used a filter either way they look good also the one taken in the valley is magical, would it be possible to have a copy of it

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Love them you certainly have a keen eye are the shots of the trees in B&W or have you used a filter either way they look good also the one taken in the valley is magical, would it be possible to have a copy of it

The first two shots of the trees are black and white conversions with a hint of blue toning, the other shots are all colour as they came out of the camera.

As for copies, it would all depend on what you wanted it for, drop me a PM and we'll go from there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE