Middlewood - Spring 2008 Meet...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Well it hasn't stopped raining all day here and im only 6 miles from the meet, and now the wind is getting a tad blustery.
Can't wait for my visit tomorrow, nothing's gonna stop me.

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Hi Matt,
Sorry I couldn't make it down this weekend - came down with some sort of virus yesterday which left me pretty shivery and wiped-out energywise :(

I do plan to make the next one, and I hope you've all had a great time, irrespective of weather...

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Thanks to each and every one who could make it :D it was great to see old friends (I feel that way now) and to make new friends :You_Rock_

Gutted that some old friends couldn't make it but I know that hit shappens.

Highlights were (in no order other than they pop into mind)

Folks being there :You_Rock_
Everyone had a good time without injury or incident.
A fantastic atmosphere at all times.
Getting my 'BcUK Middlewood 2008' polo shirt from Singeblister.
Bodges brekkie oatcakes.
Xylaria's mini plant id walk.
Successful bowdrill and primitive fire lighting workshop.
Beautiful mornings to wake up to.
Less mud that last time.
Raising almost £200 for the Scouts.
Kids all getting on great having a good time in the kayaks and archery.
Drinking the fresh tapped birch sap.
Memories (save Saturday night when my own personal highlight was to make to back to my hammock :p :D )

pictures here

Next meet is the first weekend in October so it'll be a scorcher :)

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
Matt, thanks for producing a spot on weekend! :)
It was my first meet, and suffice to say it wont be my last- if only to sample the varied sprits on offer!!! :eek:
Off to look at the pics.....
Cheers again,
Mark.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers Matt, and everyone else for a great time, got another list of things I want to change etc. Look forward to the next one.

bobstevenson

Dec 19, 2007
Buxton
Thanks Matt for organising the meet.

It was great meeting everyone at Middlewood. Great to meet Simon (thanks for lending me the tarp), Bodge (thanks for the delicious oatcakes), Neil (thanks for the different alcoholic concoctions!). Chris testing out his kettle by burning twigs and Fiona foraging for food!

Sorry I had to bail out on Saturday night, unfortunately after tweaking my hammock during Sat day time, with all the rain it had turned into a swimming pool by night time. Since home was about 45-50mins away I decided I was going to go home rather than swim in my hammock. Really disappointed I could not be there majority of Sat night and Sunday morning, hopefully I'll have learnt about setting up my hammock properly and last abit longer next time!.

Bob :)

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Who is Auntie Pen???? It seems she didn't enjoy herself. Shame that, still you can please some of the folk some of the time but not all of the folk all of the time. Come on Auntie Pen show yourself.

:( Apologies.....Matt, thanks for organising this weekend, which i am certain will be a success, Alas, i must pull out owing to a last minute family issue. I hope you all have a great time and i look forward to seeing the photo's on here after the event.

Singeblister, i will get round to showing you my knife at the next one...or if it occurs first, the Bushmoot in August?

I didnt get to check this before I went I was looking all over for ya :) I will see you at the next one I hope everything is OK with the the family.

Great meet best so far great to catch up with old faces and see some new ones as well , Thanks again Matt :)

xylaria

Thank you for a lovely weekend. It was nice meeting all the new faces.

and big thank you to Nat for supervising the kayaks etc.

The little orange ladybird my son found on his hammock, lives sycamores and was rare not long ago.

The root we pulled up in error, is proberly yellow flag not sweet flag (calamus). The root has been used as a emetic in the past, the smell is enough to make someone up chuck. At least it shows that there is no way bulrush and yellow flag can be confused. I still have some experiments to do with it, so not to waste it. I want to see if a purple die can be made from it, without having cloth that can smell like sheep poo.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Cheers for organising another great meet. Sorry I didnt make the main fire this time as we sat down and I started drinking.........well you can tell the rest of the story.;)
I will try not to start drinking until I get up to the main fire next time. :eek:

I also have been looking at a new wheel barrow today:p

Greg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Sorry I missed this one, the missus will also be sorry too as I won't let her forget in a hurry!:D Only joking, she wasn't well and I could hardly abandon her with three naughty children so I had to sit it out. She is feeling better now, but still not 100%. Just to prove how bad our kids are, they were christened on Easter Sunday and when the Priest splashed Holy Water on their heads, their skin bubbled up and steam came off of their skin as demons were driven out of their bodies! And there was pea soup everywhere!

soggy boots

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2007
Manchester
Thanks once again Matt for a very enjoyable weekend.:You_Rock_
Nice to meet previous aquaintances.
Thanks to Singeblister for the Tee Shirt. What's next?
Certainly see you at the October meet, if not before.
Best regards
John

corr

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2006
crewe, cheshire
Thanks to Matt and all in attendance
Was another good one I have pencil October in the diary so just to confirm is it 3,4,5 ??
:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE